Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need info. when I start down road 1st gear good, when I go to the rest of the gears a get a noise , I switch to 2nd gear give gas it makes noise in back by belt same to 6th gear, after riding for 1/2 to 45 min seems like belt get hot it stops ? why , any fix,
its a 2013 xct , but everything else on bike is great ,

·
Registered
450 Posts
I would start with checking for proper belt tension and alignment as described in your owners manual. You don't say if you've replaced the rear tire recently, how many miles, how long it's been making the noise. All that aside, start with the most basic of tension and alignment.thumb up

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
last year didn't make that noise to 4800 mile ,sat in garage but not heated low 20 and 30 degrees , this years started I put on 3000 so far , tension dead on.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
need info. when I start down road 1st gear good, when I go to the rest of the gears a get a noise , I switch to 2nd gear give gas it makes noise in back by belt same to 6th gear, after riding for 1/2 to 45 min seems like belt get hot it stops ? why , any fix,
its a 2013 xct , but everything else on bike is great ,
If tension is good then buy a little block of bees wax and dress the belt. See if the noise goes away.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had this persist for several months, during the first 10,000 miles. Belt tightened at the dealer, noise went away for about a month. Used chapstick on the outside of the belt, noise went away for about a month and came back.
Dealer finally got enough complaints that they did some research and found that Polaris was aware of a "bad batch" of rear sprockets (pulleys) and got it replaced under warranty. They did 4 replacements in a week...

If you've had all of the routine maintenance already suggested above, might be worth pursuing.

·
13,002 Posts
Your belt should last a good 80 thousand miles.
They squeak is because there out of alignment or you have a bad pulley.
You can rub any thing on the side of the belt you want but keep in mind your rear break pads are wearing un even

·
Registered
204 Posts
Now that was funny right there....lol. I have dealt with belt noise and it didnt sound like that....haha. I knew that was a turkey call before the end, but that was still good.

As for my own issue...my shop owner/dealer personally set the belt tension and alignment on my 2013 XCT using a sonic meter for tension (something he swears by). He aligned the belt to his satisfaction...and I still had the chirping birds. It's possible the pulley is bad (as per the previous posts), but he told me that the belt chirp is a common complaint on the Vics. He said to get some stuff called HD Poly Oil (yes....an HD product) and dress the belt with it, which I recently did. It comes in a 2 oz. tube and is a light white colored grease that I just used my finger to spread on both edges of the belt. That stopped it cold and I haven't heard a peep from the belt in the last 1000 miles....which makes my Tri-Ovals sound that much better....:ride:.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that video was funny , I look at my wife and said did you do that to? she said she should of thought to that,
I glad you guys are here to help with the great info. I let you know what happens
thank you

·
13,002 Posts
Now that was funny right there....lol. I have dealt with belt noise and it didn't sound like that....haha. I knew that was a turkey call before the end, but that was still good.

As for my own issue...my shop owner/dealer personally set the belt tension and alignment on my 2013 XCT using a sonic meter for tension (something he swears by). He aligned the belt to his satisfaction...and I still had the chirping birds. It's possible the pulley is bad (as per the previous posts), but he told me that the belt chirp is a common complaint on the Vic's. He said to get some stuff called HD Poly Oil (yes....an HD product) and dress the belt with it, which I recently did. It comes in a 2 oz. tube and is a light white colored grease that I just used my finger to spread on both edges of the belt. That stopped it cold and I haven't heard a peep from the belt in the last 1000 miles....which makes my Tri-Ovals sound that much better....:ride:.
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your ass. Yes the Vic's chirping belt is well known but if its aligned correct it does not squeak

·
13,002 Posts
Steve
find a different dealer and get the belt adjust correct.
With the belt being out of alignment it wears your break pads at a angle so now they will not be as affective when stopping if they were both flat

·
Registered
280 Posts
Interesting, I have had the dreaded belt "squawk" but only after riding down gravel roads. Usually goes away after 10 to 20 miles on dry pavement, and I of course always wash the bike after those trips (because it is COVERED in dust) and pay special attention to spraying lots of water on the belt and pulley (I have one of my kids aim the water stream at the belt and pulley while I roll the bike back and forth to make sure I get the whole belt rinsed, really should get one of them fancy lifts :( ) Anyway, after washing no more "squawk". I guess I will keep the lube or wax idea in mind cause I am fairly well certain my issue is not tension or alignment issues based on how it occurs. cheers

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Victory is reported to have belt squeal issues. You can substitute other brand names into that statement, including a black and orange brand that licences a product to mask the noise.

Belt tech is evolving. Mostly though it's evolving to be as narrow as it can be for design reasons and as cheap as it can be for mass manufacturing reasons. The argument about what to do starts at getting the alignment spot on and insisting that manufacturers replace components that do not permanently correct the noise issue. Then it just about always goes to what kind of goop the owner can lather onto the belt to hide the ongoing defect. Peeps get boastful about the salve they chose over the liniment somebody else is recommending.

Anything you use to hide the belt noise, a clear indication of a mismatch of the figment between pulley and belt, is a great solution. That is it's a great solution for manufacturers who do not want to be compelled to fix an engineering defect that they determine is cost effective when weighed against owner dissatisfaction. Why improve your processes when the people who are affected by it "fix" it. Why should Victory or Harley or whoever invest in a better component set when they can dodge that bullet by keeping mum and hoping that owners will be satisfied with quiet instead of correction.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Victory is reported to have belt squeal issues. You can substitute other brand names into that statement, including a black and orange brand that licences a product to mask the noise.

Belt tech is evolving. Mostly though it's evolving to be as narrow as it can be for design reasons and as cheap as it can be for mass manufacturing reasons. The argument about what to do starts at getting the alignment spot on and insisting that manufacturers replace components that do not permanently correct the noise issue. Then it just about always goes to what kind of goop the owner can lather onto the belt to hide the ongoing defect. Peeps get boastful about the salve they chose over the liniment somebody else is recommending.

Anything you use to hide the belt noise, a clear indication of a mismatch of the figment between pulley and belt, is a great solution. That is it's a great solution for manufacturers who do not want to be compelled to fix an engineering defect that they determine is cost effective when weighed against owner dissatisfaction. Why improve your processes when the people who are affected by it "fix" it. Why should Victory or Harley or whoever invest in a better component set when they can dodge that bullet by keeping mum and hoping that owners will be satisfied with quiet instead of correction.
Pop, that is a well thought out diagnosis and I fully respect your insight. I guess the answer to what I assume is a rhetorical question....is that if most folks find that "a little dab will do ya"...most won't go to the hassle of scheduling dealership appts...be without the bike, or have to argue with service techs who will make your life miserable in the process. It is the far lesser of two evils.

I take no side in this issue as I only know of my own situation. I do however have a pretty good understanding of human nature...cheers.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Pop, that is a well thought out diagnosis and I fully respect your insight. I guess the answer to what I assume is a rhetorical question....is that if most folks find that "a little dab will do ya"...most won't go to the hassle of scheduling dealership appts...be without the bike, or have to argue with service techs who will make your life miserable in the process. It is the far lesser of two evils.

I take no side in this issue as I only know of my own situation. I do however have a pretty good understanding of human nature...cheers.
Well said, Kris & Pop. Also, if my understanding of belt adjustment is correct (big "if"), there's the issue of hot vs. cold. That is, belts and pulleys are supposed to be adjusted cold, right? If so, you can't ride into a dealership just before an appointment time, and expect quality diagnostic work and adjustment shortly thereafter. Assuming a tech knew what and how to check and adjust, the bike would have to sit there for hours, or overnight, and then be looked at. Correct?

I owned a BMW "oil-head" boxer for three years, and valued the techs at a dealership about 100 miles away. When I went for work that included a valve-adjustment check, I'd ride there early in the morning, and they'd put a fan on the bike right away, for a couple hours, while they'd work on other bikes. Me, I'd bring a book, and make myself comfortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts