Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading quite a few posts recently and see a lot mentioned about XCT heat issues. Previously I owned a 2011 Vision Tour and put over 16K miles on her in two years. I had the OEM adjustable lowers on her. I never had any issue with heat for me or any passenger I might be carrying. I live in southern AZ and have ridden in some pretty hot temps and never felt uncomfortable. With that said, why is the XCT any different? It is the same power plant. Is it because of the air management system on the XCT? I'm just not understanding I guess. I am thinking seriously about getting a XCT but am concerned with the heat issue you all are mentioning.

·
Premium Member
13,326 Posts
I think I can answer this. It's mostly an issue with the stock lowers like found on the Tour model. They kind of hold the heat in because they work so well in keeping the elements off the legs. There are ways to deal with it. Some more expensive than others.

I'm surprised you never felt uncomfortable in our AZ Summer heat on your Vision. The Vision is well known for being hot in the Summer. You might not have any issue with an XCT Tour because of this. You might simply be acclimated to the heat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BBob, thanks for the quick reply. For some reason I knew you would be the first responder. Lol. I kind of figured it was the lowers. But the Vision had pretty good protection as well and I don't remember ever being uncomfortable. Maybe my memory is shot but I don't think I did. I was reading the posting about your heat shields which is why I brought this up. I'm not averse to a heat shield just a little concerned it might be needed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 2013 xct and road with a passenger down to Houston Tx in the month of August. The average temp was about 100 deg. While fully loaded and averaging about 85 down the interstate the bike did fine with no issues to report. I felt a small amount of heat with the lowers open, but the passenger did not feel anything. The extra speed helped keep us cooler and the heat on my legs was not bad. After about 10 minutes on the bike, I did not notice the heat at all. When riding slow on city streets, I did not notice the heat at all. I guess it is being blown a different path. I would not worry about any heat issues off of this bike and it is the most comfortable I have ridden to date.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Never heard of a passenger being uncomfortable unless you are referring to A HD Ultra Classic. The heat is mostly noticeable to the driver's left leg, but certainly not hot in comparison to other bikes with similar wind protection.
yes it is hotter than the same bike or others with no lowers. My friend has a 2013 HD anniversary Edition and his wife complained constantly about her feet burning. He rode mine and said heat was less for her and him. On his, he had to pull the catalytic converters to cut the heat, which some do also on the XCT, but you may loose HP.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When we lived in S/W Florida my wife rode her Vision four years. Her right leg would get medium rare from the heat. I wrapped the rear pipe, helped some, installed Baker air wings, helped some but it was still hot.
She is now on a XC, although up here in N/E Georgia some extra heat would be a good thing about now. The Vision was a fantastic bike, handled like a dream.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
You will have to tune it to knock the heat down. 20* drop in temp on my bike after tune. It's expensive but all air cooled bikes need help. The EPA tuned our bike's at the factory. Lean !

·
Registered
827 Posts
You will have to tune it to knock the heat down. 20* drop in temp on my bike after tune. It's expensive but all air cooled bikes need help. The EPA tuned our bike's at the factory. Lean !
I agree.
All EPA tuned bikes run a bit hot.
My 2005 Road King lost 20 or 30 degrees of head temp heat by porting the heads and a quality tune (thundermax) .
I will be doing a PCVw/autotune soon. Then a Bassani Header w/o a cat.
Right now; I think much of the heat from the engine is soaked up by the frame right behind engine. Some of that heat is deposited into the seat.

·
Registered
372 Posts
A fuel controller or even a S1 flash along with a free flowing exhaust will do wonders towards engine heat output. Maybe why your Vision wasn't hot if it was set up good that way. I removed the right side cat on my XC, bent over the diverter plate in the crossover so the exhaust mostly comes out the right side and now I almost wish I had more heat coming off the engine on cooler days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My XCT is HOT!

hey all,
I'd like to add my experience with heat on my 2013 XCT. Plain and simple, it runs HOT. The bike is dead stock with 5000 miles put on this past summer. How hot? Well, when I look down at the back header pipe, sometimes it is glowing orange. This is most noticable
with 2 up, cruising at about 2800 rpms, on a cool night, back roads, no traffic or stoplights. At sundown with the deer hopping around and my wife with me, I will keep it in a lower gear with the revs a little high (2800 rpms ? high?) to keep the speed down. At night I can take a peek at the back of the motor and the header pipe is bright orange. From my experience on this site and speaking to people like Kyle at KMC Powersports in Westerly, these bikes are set to the leanest possible settings from the factory and some can be a little more leaned out than others. I'd like to hear from anyone with a Vic XCT if they have noticed the same problem with a header pipe glowing orange on a cool night @ 60 degees with 2 up riding on a back country road.
To resolve the issue, Kyle suggested a PowerCommander, D&D slip ons, (keep the catalytic converters - you lose HP when you remove them) a Timing gear, and a hi-flow air filter, and a dyno tune.
I got to say I am not real happy with having to put a couple of grand into a bike that I just paid over 20K for. Some people might say this is just the way it is and get used to it.
I must add that my previous machine for 10 years was a 1600 Kawasaki Vulcan that now has 40K miles on it that runs like a champ
so it was a drastic step for me to go to an air/oil cooled motor after that when I bought the Vic. Maybe this heat issue is not as noticable if you have ridden air cooled motors vs liquid.
Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
I plan on doing the above mods soon and will gladly let ya know how that all works out!

·
Registered
848 Posts
20133 XCT heat issues:
1) The bike is EPA tuned and very lean. this is why your pipes are glowing, Adding hi flow Air filters just compound the problem disconnecting the O2 sensors can make things worse.

2)EPA mandates Catalytic Converters these things can run hot enough to melt the pipes they are located. Normal operating range is 400F to 1500F. Removing these in the stock form will remove the heat full stop. Removing the Cats will decrease bottom end torque it does nothing to effect HP. You will loose 3-5 torques, this can be regained by adding the Adjustable timing wheel.

3) Tuning the bike with a good set of cams/pipes/air filter will drop the heat dramatically.

4) The lowers have a little to do with heat management, experiment with varying degrees of open. I run my XCT all year, 95+ in the summer with the lowers on and open w/o cats no issues with heat. w cats, too hot to ride in 90 degrees.

My ride makes a Cajun metric measurement (A whole Shitload)of HP and torque with the mods listed. Nothing explosive just very streetable and reliable.

Mr Chips (2012 XCT) has his cats in and tuned makes a 4 torques more than I do and the same HP. only difference is his torque curve is almost vertical between 2200 and 2800 RPM.

·
Registered
54 Posts
those are the air cooled blues. Harleys have the same issues. one time I rented one in FL in the middle of winter. 70* out. I was wearing shorts and a tshirt. I needed to put a thin coat on but my right ankle was on fire! and this was driving down the highway. I couldn't slide my foot far enough away on the floor board.
I'm not surprised that (pretty much) everyone who has a big air cooled twin ends up doing some kind of tuning/flash

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have been reading quite a few posts recently and see a lot mentioned about XCT heat issues. Previously I owned a 2011 Vision Tour and put over 16K miles on her in two years. I had the OEM adjustable lowers on her. I never had any issue with heat for me or any passenger I might be carrying. I live in southern AZ and have ridden in some pretty hot temps and never felt uncomfortable. With that said, why is the XCT any different? It is the same power plant. Is it because of the air management system on the XCT? I'm just not understanding I guess. I am thinking seriously about getting a XCT but am concerned with the heat issue you all are mentioning.
I am curious why you are going from VV to XCT. I went from an XC(no T) to a VV & never looked back. However, my Vision in stop & go traffic does put out more heat for sure. The trade-off is worth it though, for the winter season, at least for me., Good luck!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Heat. Well, the XCT isn't too bad. Yes it can get hot, but proper gear and proper opening the vents does help. Sounds like tuning will too, but mine is stock. Touring on hot days is fine.
Want hot? Try a HD in summer. Not your style? Hows about a Goldwing? Leg roaster in summer. The heat off the radiators when the temp rises is a bear, even with baker wings. Venture? No getting away if the wind blows right. Heat funnels back on the rider and is stifling. Beemers? Cant say but some are saying they have it too. Boss Hoss? There is a leg baker. Left one in fact. ST1300? Read about all the heat issues folks are complaining about there.
Motorcycles are hot in some conditions and we have to figure out how to eliminate or deal with it. Lots of folks here can help with both.

You are sitting on top of an internal combustion engine. Maybe a Miata is more the style some folks are looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts