Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went out to the garage and got geared up to ride and wouldn't you know it the bike barely turned over (been on a battery tender). I got it started and letting it idle right now but I think I am in need of a new battery. My bike is a Jan 2011 build so I assume the battery is even older so it is at least 6 years old. Called out to my local Vic/Indian dealer and they want $145 for a Yuasa/Polaris battery but I just saw where I can get the same battery model number without the Polaris logo on it for $88 on Amazon and is shipped with the acid separate. Anybody gone this route or gone with a battery from and autozone or other auto parts stores?

·
Registered
970 Posts
With so few manufacturers of batteries it is one product that highlights the phrase "You get what you pay for". As for the Vic one, vehicle builders with profit as their main concern will go with whatever gives them the best return. I won't go into a long explanation here but simply look at the specs, not the name.

Then think about the worst place in your travels that you'd want to get stranded because you cheaped out on one of the most important parts of the vehicle. That's where it will happen.

No matter what you buy, always go for the best (not always the most expensive) you can afford at the time.

PS. The one directly from the Vic stealer certainly won't be the best choice financially. The one from Amazon needs you to confirm the source and product. Local suppliers will have one that's not much more expensive.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I picked up a store-labeled Deka at a local ranch store for about $85. 310 cca, sealed, charged, and ready to go. So far so good.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I used to work at a dealer that sells victory. all the batteries (including the ones shipped with your bike) come with the acid separate.

·
Registered
781 Posts
The duracell from Batteries + is outstanding. Rated identical to the OEM- about 310 CCA.

However, the rep took the one I grabbed off the shelf, clamped on his bench tester, and the damn thing showed over 500 CCA. After installation- the bike has on occasion has sat for 3 weeks over the winter months. Showed no signs of discharge. Hooked up my trickle charger anyway- green light in less than 10 minutes. Awesome battery thus far.

·
Registered
270 Posts
For the record, Yuasa makes a very good battery.

I would suggest you call around - call the local powersports dealers/shops - and give them the Yuasa part number. There aren't that many different size motorcycle batteries and if they carry Yuasa they will most likely have the size you are looking for.

My local Yamaha dealer always has had the best prices on batteries and I've bought them there for non-Yamaha bikes.

They will still be a little more expensive than mail-order but you get the battery right away, acid already added and battery fully charged, and you have some place to return it to if for any reason that battery is bad.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
TNXR, think about this: A relatively small battery has to start an engine larger than some cars have and when its cold out, the oil is thick thus providing even more resistance. My 2010 XR still has its original battery and over 30K miles with lots of starts. I do two things that make life easier for the battery: 1. 5W-40 Rotella T-6 and 2. About an hour before starting, I place a heater with a fan in it near the engine to warm the oil, battery (which is down on power when cold) and the engine. It usually fires up the first time, even after sitting over a month. So you battery may be just fine.

·
13,177 Posts
Never Never get acid batteries. They don't last.
Always get a gel filled battery. Yuasa is a great battery

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Never Never get acid batteries. They don't last.
Always get a gel filled battery. Yuasa is a great battery
What's your thoughts about AGM batteries?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gel is an acid battery.
Correct, gel is typically more expensive.
Benefits are if the case cracks it won't spill out on your bike/veh.
They don't off gas near as much as a wet cell does so they don't have to be filled up

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I only can buy Yuasa here, acid, and the Amp/hour are a bit more then stock.... So look at the rating on the battery, anyway some very interested reading threads regarding this, with good info.

VCC is correct, all the hype about GEL, people must understand it is just acid, only better designed, like a petrol tank with foam in it.. ..

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
13,177 Posts
Vcc14
was referring to his post.

can get the same battery model number without the Polaris logo on it for $88 on Amazon and is shipped with the acid separate.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I would like to assault this battery thread. :)

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Vcc14
was referring to his post.

can get the same battery model number without the Polaris logo on it for $88 on Amazon and is shipped with the acid separate.
I would go for that battery too, it's just a battery, only 1 thing to check, amp/hours ....

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
trademarked parts = $$$$

sometimes OE is the only option, but there are many quality batteries out there. AGM sealed is my preference + be sure it was recently made, not setting if theres liquid in it, dry sealed batteries can set without issue + are opened + acid added when purchased. non removable caps are put on at that time, i just read that! i always fully charge a new battery before putting in service + fit the biggest one that fits!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a AGM battery from Battery Mart on line they make it easy, about 80 bucks. It has never failed yet, about 4 yrs old

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
keep charged

i tender all vehicle 2 + 4 wheels monthly to keep them optimally charged! bikes set all winter + my roadster rests as well, my cheap colorado sees the snow, everything else gets sunny + warm rides! be sure to use a lighter 15 or 10 W - xx viscosity oil for easier starting + quicker flow if you ride in colder weather!!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
i tender all vehicle 2 + 4 wheels monthly to keep them optimally charged! bikes set all winter + my roadster rests as well, my cheap colorado sees the snow, everything else gets sunny + warm rides! be sure to use a lighter 15 or 10 W - xx viscosity oil for easier starting + quicker flow if you ride in colder weather!!
See post #8 for more winter startup tips. BTW, never, never start up a hibernating engine, run it for a few minutes and then turn it off. Let it sleep and ONLY start it if you are going to go for a ride lasting at least a half hour so the oil can get up to full operating temperature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts