Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
2,085 Posts
This, if you're going to buy one why get a generic buy a good one they aren't that expensive.
Yup I've seen too many comments online about fires and other crap with the off brand tenders.

Reactions: vindex1963

·
Registered
2013 Victory Vegas 8 Ball, 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit
9 Posts
I have three 1.5 amp battery tender plus' and three 0.750 amp battery tender juniors and they have been in constant use for years. In the last 20 years I've had only one battery tender fail by starting to smoke! Fortunately I was there and immediately unplugged it. No other issues. Deltran's warranty however is a joke. One car battery (I used for occasionally jump-starting the neighbors) finally failed after about 18 years being continuously on a battery tender, probably the plates shorted due to age. My vehicles get plugged in as soon as I get home and my batteries seem to last forever. I still carry a portable jump-pack, just it case! This year I got my first motorcycle LiFePO4 battery. This weighs just 2.5 pounds. They say this holds over 90% charge for 6 months, stays at a higher voltage, and charges faster than regular batteries. With this there is no need for a maintainer if you ride that bike three or four times a year. So far so good. I am very happy with it so far. The bike kicks over better than ever.

Bottom line: Get the DELTRAN Battery tender and use it! Do not worry, It will not over charge. If you attach a volt meter you can see the charging/float voltage going up and down.

STAY AWAY FROM THE HARBOR FREIGHT CHEAP MAINTAINER. IT'S FLOAT MODE IS OVER 14 VOLTS AND EVENTUALLY WILL DESTROY YOUR BATTERY!!! I tried one on a fully charged battery for a weekend and the voltage never decreased!!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
psycodiablo
I believe that you posted sometime ago about your bike getting unstable at times at higher speed in turbulent air. I recently solved the same problem on mine.
I'm pretty certain it's solved anyway.
The neck bearings were improperly torqued from the factory during assembly.
Which is what I had guessed. Apparently they were only marginally too loose. Not enough so that you could tell by inspection.

Took it down to put different bars on it and had the correct slotted socket that I purchased on Ebay some time ago. Torqued the stem nut to the recommended torque and the bike is noticeably more stable now in cross winds at higher speed.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
The important thing 'bout the Battery Tender Plus is it's designed for AGM batteries (which is what our Vic's use). Also, the LED lights on the Plus are a help. I had jumped my bike usin' the Battery Tender connector at the bike, once. This blew the 7A fuse in the connector (yup if yer dealer installed the connector at bike purchase the there's a fuse inline). When I got the bike home to charge the Plus's GREEN chargin' LED kept blinkin' (which indicated an open circuit to the battery). The problem was easy to find 'n fix usin' the Battery Tender Plus.

So yah, I would invest in the Battery Tender Plus (if I needed one).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Here in MN winters (Nov - April) I store my bike on a stand in the corner of my unheated attached garage, which can sometimes drop to -10F. I plug in to my Battery Tender Jr when I store it and forget about it until spring. This is my 7th winter and I'm still on the original battery. (Knock on wood!) For under $30, in my opinion it's a no-brainer. Much easier than removing the battery and storing in my basement every winter.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been using Deltran Battery tenders for years.
I have 2 of them plugged into a double outlet timer set to switch on/off a couple times a day to charge/maintain various motosport batteries

I also have a Solar powered one hooked up to a 7 watt HF solar panel to keep my lawn tractor's battery topped up in the shed where I don't have any power

Dusty

21 - 26 of 26 Posts