Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 06 Jackpot 2 weekends ago. Rode it home and the next day about 350 miles. No problems. Changed oil, S&S air filter. Went over bike, cleaned, polished etc: This past weekend rode 40 miles battery went dead. Replaced battery with new. Rode 25 miles battery went dead. Charged it put a multimeter on it and when off it registers 12.8 when running it is at idle 13.8. Rode today about 20 miles, engine light came on, bike died. Put old battery in, rode about 5 miles home, engine light, bike died. I have checked every connection, cable, bolt, nut etc: Any thoughts before I take it to Victory and watch money fly out the window.

·
Registered
75 Posts
any accessories on the bike?? i had a bike that came w/ heated grips once that shorted out somehow. they would kill a battery quickly!!

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it has a lot of chrome and upgrades with Ness stuff but nothing as far as electrical. I cannot understand how the multimeter shows it charging the battery and then total battery failure. I plan on taking this battery back and I am hoping it is a bad cell and won't hold a charge but that is the only trouble shooting thing I have not done. Like I said baffled.

·
Registered
75 Posts
one last option to check could be the aftermarket tag holder??? do u have one of those??

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No only electrical change is LED rear turn signals but they were fine when I picked the bike up and drove 350 miles. I doubt they are the issue

·
Registered
50 Posts
If the bike is shutting down while you are driving I would be looking for an intermitting short. I would check the battery voltage right after this happens. When you hookup the battery does it have any sparks?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check the wires at the voltage regulator? Also coming from the stator on the left front side by your shift lever? If all you did was detail, wondering if something didn't get unplugged?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep male female connector off the voltage regulator. I pushed as hard as I could when this problem first started but that is a weird connector. unhooked it, blew it out and then connected it back. Used a zip tie to keep it nice and tight. Weird how KevinX knew exactly what it was without seeing the bike. Guy is a wealth of knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
My step son had the same problem on is fatboy. 2003 all the dirt road grime hits that area from the front tire. After a while you just start checking it like you do tire pressure. Daily check with lights now you will be worried it will leave you stranded unless you come up with a good fix. Electrolyte grease on the connection to keep from corroding. To destroy a metal or alloy gradually, especially by oxidation or chemical action: acid corroding metal.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep the idea it could happen at anytime does make it feel a little stressful. Keep looking to see if engine light is coming on. Actually thinking about buying a new voltage regulator and just being done with it.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
New regulator is not the solution. The problem is with the socket(female) side of the plug. You can go in with a pick, and re-shape the sockets so they are tight against the male spades, or hard wire around the connector

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again Kevin. Will do

1 - 13 of 13 Posts