Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few questions on batteries.

What should a 2008 Hammer S factory battery life be?
11000 miles on bike
What battery is a good replacement?
What is a good price?
Where to buy?
The battery seems to be ok for now but it is a 2008 battery.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I put a Deka ETX20L AGM battery in mine a few weeks ago no complaints. I paid $81.95 shipped from tristate battery.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I get my batteries from the local napa auto parts. Their powersports batteries are agm, haven't had any problems with them yet. don't remember what i paid for the last one, has been a few years since i bought one for motorcycle or 4wheeler. It also helps that my wife works their, i get a good price and i don't have to go pick it up.

·
13,177 Posts
In the winter put the battery on a motorcycle battery tender.
Battery's are a gamble. Yuasa is probably the top of the line and any shop can order one for you or Amazon

·
Registered
190 Posts
I get my batteries from the local napa auto parts. Their powersports batteries are agm, haven't had any problems with them yet. don't remember what i paid for the last one, has been a few years since i bought one for motorcycle or 4wheeler. It also helps that my wife works their, i get a good price and i don't have to go pick it up.
Pretty sure the NAPA AGM battery is made by Deka.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Napa - Deka

napa now sells deka batteries made by east penn mfg in reading pa. a good battery at a good price. usually the more you ride + keep battery charged the longer it lives. i believe the other american bike maker uses them as well, at a higher price of course! the freshness of a battery makes a big difference. longer than 3 months on the shelf + its going downhill. batteries are date coded + a search will explain how to decode.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My experience is as follows:

Stock is a Yuasa YTX20HL-BS on my bike and weighs 16 lbs. Has 310 CCA. Some older bikes have the YTX20L-BS which has 270 CCA and weighs 14 lbs.

I bought a WPS Featherweight Lithium battery Part# 490-2520 which is the replacement for both OEM batteries. Costs $229.95 from BTO Sports where I get some of my MX items from.

Super awesome. Has a superior 420 CCA. Only weighs 3.7 Lbs and is Waterproof. Can be charged with any charger unlike other more expensive lightweight high CCA batteries (Shorai) that require a battery tender or Shorai's specific charger. Has a built in LED test gauge not that I have ever needed it. Fast recharge, can be brought up to a 90% charge within 6 minutes not that I have ever needed it. I have left in in the bike for 6 months during winter and she fired up no problems where my Yuasa was dead after about 5 weeks. Normally it is not a big deal as I would just recharge it but I figured why the heck not and I can cut 12lbs off the weight.

A weight savings of 12 lbs. Might have added 1HP to my bike ahah.

Good luck!

These are pictures of one that went in my other bike that I posted on another forum.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
lithium NOT

lithium batteries are not what they are cracked up to be, especially in the cold. a good thing for racers though. all i gotta do to lighten up that much is cut back on the hops!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
lithium batteries are not what they are cracked up to be, especially in the cold. a good thing for racers though. all i gotta do to lighten up that much is cut back on the hops!!
My thoughts exactly. I research the Lithium batteries before I bought the Deka and decided to go with a more traditional setup.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
A few questions on batteries.

What should a 2008 Hammer S factory battery life be?
11000 miles on bike
What battery is a good replacement?
What is a good price?
Where to buy?
The battery seems to be ok for now but it is a 2008 battery.
You have a very old battery. in terms of time. I would not expect it to last much longer simply because batteries do die with time no matter the mileage. I have 13,300 miles on my '13 Vision and do not expect to need to address battery problems for at least 4 more years. Time, more so than mileage, affects battery life.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
battery life

really don't know who made the battery, but the girlfriends craftsman riding mower battery just died. ORIGINAL battery from 1994, hard to believe but true. replacements are now made by deka @ $85.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts

·
13,177 Posts
On my vision the original Yuasa lasted 8 years. Best battery for the money

1 - 13 of 13 Posts