Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I recieved a engine light followed with LO and then 8.9 showing up on the speedo.

After an evening charge on the trickle it fired right up, at the conclusion of the ride the battery was dead again.

After a search I am still unable to find the right replacement.

What cost effective battery did you replace your factory battery with?

Is there a smaller option available? Part numbers are greatly appreciated it possible.

·
12,983 Posts
ukturfrocks

you have to say what year and model bike you have. We don't know.
with a 10mm wrench check your battery bolts.
You have a Yuasa battery in your bike. Your owner's book will give you a part number. Amazon has great prices on them.
Not knowing where you live but if its in a winter state get a battery in the spring
Do what I ask in red letters

·
Registered
780 Posts
Duracell's at Batteries plus. Great units. Rated at 310 CCA- mine tested at over 500 right off the shelf.

You can't select all Victory models on their website, but I bet they have the right one. About $125, no outrageous shipping, and you have a local guy to deal with.

·
12,983 Posts
you would think a 2013 bike would still have a good battery. Did you check the bolts with a 10mm wrench. Lay on the ground and check the voltage regulator plug. Pull it apart and clean it

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
My '13 Jackpot battery is looonnggg time replaced, first thing that "gave up" and yes was on the trickle charger all the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All connections are tight and good to go. The previous owner neglected to maintain the battery properly. I will check the volt plug when I get back to Oregon. Thank you for the guidance!

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
This is a great battery for the money. We sell a lot of them with no defects. MAINTENANCE FREE SEALED BATTERY in New Products - Featured - Your #1 Source for US Made, Custom Victory Motorcycle Parts

You can find cheap batteries at places like Walmart but I can say they don't last very long. Cheap does mean less quality in the case of batteries.
Walmart batteries are the worst. I will never, unless desperate, buy another Walmart battery.

I agree with your statement about cheap prices not meaning a cheap battery. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well these Chrome bike and general use AAA batteries are holding up. It's like they are the top of the line name brand without the name brand name.

I wish the bike batteries were something I could buy a couple of and just stick on the shelf for a rainy day but of course they don't work that way.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
MOST IMPORTANTLY BUYING ANY BATTERY, EXPENSIVE OR CHEAP, if you have a choice read this for yourself

Ampere hour rating ... This is standard written on the battery's ....

This will indicate if it is better then the other brands ....

- copy from internet

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tips-tech/motorcycle-battery-basics

The battery's Amp Hour Rating describes how long the battery will last at a fixed discharge rate. For small motorcycle batteries, the average is generally calculated over a ten-hour period, at 1/10 of the battery's amp rating. For example, a 14 Amp-Hour rating means the battery can discharge 1.4 amps for 10 hours.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Walmart batteries are the worst. I will never, unless desperate, buy another Walmart battery.
Just curious, what specific Walmart battery did you not like? Consumer Reports always gives high marks to the EverStart Maxx line. I got one for my car and it has done well for me.

·
Premium Member
13,050 Posts
Just curious, what specific Walmart battery did you not like? Consumer Reports always gives high marks to the EverStart Maxx line. I got one for my car and it has done well for me.
Pretty sure it was an Everstart. It didn't last 2 years in my car.

A local mechanic I happened to talk with while searching for a replacement said he had seen a lot of them just go bad without any warning and did not recommend them at all. He liked the Interstate batteries so that's what I went with this time. Plus it had a 5 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
I wish my stock victory battery had 5 years warranty, i had too replaced it within a year, lucky i found a matching size that fitted in the "box" of my vic on the island ....

You guys have choices for warranty and AmpH ... We don't

Battery's are stored "empty" in the warehouses and stores for considered time, no problem as they are dry/empty and on the moment sold added "acid" water ... After 1 hour or so no need to charge as the acid already triggered the plates to charge, or just fill the dry bought battery with Demineralized water and trickle charge it over night with the plastic plugs OFF in both cases ...

Hope to have helped.

·
12,983 Posts
Never buy acid battery. They never last long and the post will always build up with corrosion.
Buy a gel filled battery that last a long time and terminals never build up with corrosion. My stock Yuasa lasted 8 years I think that's dam good

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Never buy acid battery. They never last long and the post will always build up with corrosion.
Buy a gel filled battery that last a long time and terminals never build up with corrosion. My stock Yuasa lasted 8 years I think that's dam good
Your gel battery is an acid battery

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your gel battery is an acid battery
That's right. The stock one is NOT filled with gel. Mine was a P.O.S. I just don't think a battery should be literally killed off- unable to come back at all- due to a single discharging.

That was 2 for 2 by the way. The first one was killed by a VR gone bad, (VR & battery replaced by warranty) The second was killed off by a USB port with a rogue appetite for power even with nothing plugged into it.

The duracell I have now showed NO signs of weakness even after sitting for over 2 weeks.

I haven't had to plug it in yet this winter as we have had somewhat frequent riding opportunities.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Still going strong on my stock battery with a build date of January 2011. Of course after saying this it will probably crap out on me the next time I ride.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
My batterys just past 6 years and just started 'playing up'
Last month or so there's a loud groan when starting the bike cold.
then a few days ago I had a car blow its horn at me as I was stopping, I hit the kill switch and got off to talk to the driver and forgot to turn my ignition switch off.
five minutes later I returned to my bike saw the key on and quickly turned it off. Went to restart and click click nothing, got a push of a couple of motorbike riders but in second in just locked and in third locked up too , they pushed me across the road to auto electricians who gave me a jump start and I went for a 20 minute ride and the bike been restarting ok.
Ive ordered a new AGM battery for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts