Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas what the cause is: Turn key on, press starter button, dash goes dead, starter turns slow. Turn key off, starter continues to turn slow and then battery begins to short out and smoke. (changed solenoid out, still does it)

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
The only thing that can keep your starter turning while the key is off is the solenoid is stuck on. Most likely because the starter is drawing more current than the solenoid can handle and it welded it closed to keep power going from the battery to the starter. You changed the solenoid to the correct one that can handle the normal current, then it would appear your starter is seizing thus drawing more current to do all of this, including smoking your battery.
I think you will have to change your starter, that seems to be the culprit. Of course you will also need another new solenoid since it is fused together, and unfortunately a new battery as well.
Of course I could be wrong on all this.
Hope this helps, keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You've got a solid ground in the power circuit loading it down. Your testing method of applying power until something smokes is right out of a Wile E. Coyote cartoon and could be causing more damage. Leading neophytes through an electrical problem is difficult remotely over the internet. I'd suggest you get some local more personal help to prevent this turning into something a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only thing that can keep your starter turning while the key is off is the solenoid is stuck on. Most likely because the starter is drawing more current than the solenoid can handle and it welded it closed to keep power going from the battery to the starter. You changed the solenoid to the correct one that can handle the normal current, then it would appear your starter is seizing thus drawing more current to do all of this, including smoking your battery.
I think you will have to change your starter, that seems to be the culprit. Of course you will also need another new solenoid since it is fused together, and unfortunately a new battery as well.
Of course I could be wrong on all this.
Hope this helps, keep us posted.
Thank you Paul, makes sense. Appreciate your knowledgeable and intelligent response.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts