Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys gals
I hooked up my battery tender up wrong over the winter. In the spring the bikes fuel injector wouldn’t turn off and bike wouldn’t start. The battery tender used was a geniusG750.. The battery was a gel. Replaced fuel pump, computer module ,starter and checked fuses which were all good.What should I do next??
What do you think happened
Thanks

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,422 Posts
Last post I read about someone doing this the bike was trashed.

·
Premium Member
7,507 Posts
Battery chargers have a warning light that tells you, you have them hooked up back wards. Your screwed. But most battery tenders have reverse polarity protection. So I don't know for sure what all it would screw up. It may be in the wiring somewhere. You need to talk to a good mechanic, motorcycle or car. They should beable to give you some idea of what you may do.

Reactions: roadcouch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Battery chargers have a warning light that tells you, you have them hooked up back wards. Your screwed. But most battery tenders have reverse polarity protection. So I don't know for sure what all it would screw up. It may be in the wiring somewhere. You need to talk to a good mechanic, motorcycle or car. They should beable to give you some idea of what you may do.
Thanks for the advice… Appreciate you taking the time to write..
come Hell or high water I’ll be riding this spring ..Ordered a used wiring harness I found on Facebook. It’ll be lots of work changing it in but I’ll get it done..

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
3,422 Posts
I doubt it would be the wiring itself but everything attached to it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree with @IndyVictory , I don't believe any battery tender has the power to damage hard wiring. Unless you see or can measure physical damage I think you're heading in the wrong direction believing a new wiring harness will make any difference. Spend your time measuring the wires if you wish to follow up in that direction though.

I don't see what bike you have nor exactly where you are but take a look here MediaFire and use the information and wiring diagrams to assist you. One clue I did come across on a Yamaha site was a similar blunder destroyed the fuel injection circuits. Hopefully you can track down the fault without it getting too time consuming or expensive. It might be quicker to bite the bullet and locate a Vic mechanic in your area so you're ready for riding season in a few months.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with @IndyVictory , I don't believe any battery tender has the power to damage hard wiring. Unless you see or can measure physical damage I think you're heading in the wrong direction believing a new wiring harness will make any difference. Spend your time measuring the wires if you wish to follow up in that direction though.

I don't see what bike you have nor exactly where you are but take a look here MediaFire and use the information and wiring diagrams to assist you. One clue I did come across on a Yamaha site was a similar blunder destroyed the fuel injection circuits. Hopefully you can track down the fault without it getting too time consuming or expensive. It might be quicker to bite the bullet and locate a Vic mechanic in your area so you're ready for riding season in a few months.
Thanks for answering my post,
I live in Sudbury Ont.. My bikes a 2015 gunner. I have had the bike into my x Victory dealer. The mechanic was stumped so he called Polaris and they suggested replacing parts like fuel pump, battery, flasher switch, the main computer( not sure what it’s called but $800 dollars to buy,)and others till I found the problem . .So I did with no luck. Expensive journey for finding nothing.. I’ve put quite a few options on the bike including a custom paint job so I’m attached to it. It also fits me like a glove. Rode to California and back with no issues mechanically or with comfort.. I do a lot of over night wk end runs as well. I’m 70 and been riding since I was 15 so had a few bikes in my day including a chopper I built and none came close to the fun and comfort I get from this one.. I’ll look up Mediafire on line and call. I’ve never heard of them so thanks for that info.
I’ll plug along till I find the problem as I’m stupid stubborn and won’t give up..”lol”
If I have to get another bike in the meantime I’ll do so because at 70 you never know which summer is ones last.. I plan to be riding for many more summers though.. Thanks again man.. Ride hard, long and safe…Do a few wk end concerts along the way…Rock on !!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
The Mediafire link provided was NOT to the company as a parts supplier or for their mechanical knowledge. Rather, they are a media hosting site and the link was to Victory service manuals hosted on that site. These manuals include wiring diagrams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**** think I posted my reply in the wrong place so here it is again. Thanks for answering my post 53 Canuck..I live in Sudbury , my bikes a 2015 gunner and I have had it into the x Victory dealer. The mechanic checked it over and was stumped so he called Polaris.. They said to start replacing parts till the issue was found.. So I Okayed the mechanic to do so and still nothing.. Expensive adventure for finding nothing out.. I’ve put quite a few options on the bike including a custom paint job so I’m attached to it.. It also fits me like a glove. A few years I rode to California and back with no mechanical or comfort problems. I recommend that ride to all as the deserts mountains and coast line along the way are to cool for words.
Most of my rides are trips. I’m 70 and been riding since I was 15 so had a few bikes in my day and this Victory by far is the most fun and comfortable of them all.. I’ll look up Mediafire and give them a call. Never heard of them so thanks for the recommendation..
Until then I’ll keep plugging along as I’m too stubborn to give up..lol…If it means getting another bike in the meantime I will because at 70 you never no what summer will be your last.. I plan on riding for many though..
Ride hard, long and safe my friend..Don’t forget to do a few weekend concerts along the way.. Rock on !!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Mediafire link provided was NOT to the company as a parts supplier or for their mechanical knowledge. Rather, they are a media hosting site and the link was to Victory service manuals hosted on that site. These manuals include wiring diagrams.
Thanks
I bought the mechanics service manual with all the wiring diagrams and suggestions so working with it now. Big help…

·
Super Moderator
2,414 Posts
Please let us know what you ultimately find as the problem.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
@Barrybrooker123 just for my own interest can you please give us a quick run-down on what is working as it should. Headlight, signals, does the fuel pump stop after priming, does the engine turn over when you try to start it, horn, radio, speedo lights, etc. Also so I'm not assuming anything, have the injectors been tested to confirm they are receiving an electrical signal holding them open and are not just stuck as unplugging them will turn them off. I think there's a few of us who are going to continue watching this one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys gals
I hooked up my battery tender up wrong over the winter. In the spring the bikes fuel injector wouldn’t turn off and bike wouldn’t start. The battery tender used was a geniusG750.. The battery was a gel. Replaced fuel pump, computer module ,starter and checked fuses which were all good.What should I do next??
What do you think happened
Thanks
Hay buddy I’m just new to owning a Victory and being on the site . Sorry to hear about your bike, I saw a vid on YouTube where a Vic would not start and it ended up being the flasher module under right side cover . Put a new one in it maybe the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hay buddy I’m just new to owning a Victory and being on the site . Sorry to hear about your bike, I saw a vid on YouTube where a Vic would not start and it ended up being the flasher module under right side cover . Put a new one in it maybe the problem.
BBob posted 3 months ago when talking about surging bike and said flasher unit issue may be the problem.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I’m curious, did the dealer say he could get his diagnostics to talk to the bikes computer or would the new computer not talk, once it was hooked into the bus?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Please let us know what you ultimately find as the problem.
Absolutely I will... Hopefully it’ll help others. Name of the battery tender used was a Gene. Side note…..Company said it’s rare the tender would charge backwards without a light coming on or a circuit protector not allowing it to do so ..but it can happen..For those reading this my advice would be to remove the battery from your bike when storing or not using it for a long period.. For 54 years I left the battery in my bike with a trickle charger on with no problems but it only takes once..Had mice nest near the battery a few times without problems ... I may have been lucky they didn’t chew on my bikes wires because I’ve been told they do. I don’t no if that’s true but why take the chance..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I use these types of connectors. Put one on the bike battery and leave it there permanently. Can't reverse it and it's an easy plug-in when needed.

Finger Data transfer cable Thumb Usb cable Cable

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I still wonder if that bus communications are trashed. Perhaps it can’t talk to the Speedo etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks
That’s exactly how I have my bike wired. Plug and go..I can’t prove this now but I think when the bike mechanic was installing a new led headlight and fog lights he may of disconnected the tender section wire up backwards on the battery..so when I plugged the tender connector in as I always had it caused the battery to charge backwards..I’m not by any means a mechanic but I think that could explain it..I never thought to check prior to bringing it in. After getting the bike back the wire had been removed and given back with other parts he’d replaced. He’s a good mechanic so I shouldn’t question that could’ve happened or if it’s possible to hook that section up backwards.
What I’ve recently found out was I hooked the battery tender I used up to a gel battery I just purchased. But with slighter clips and correct. Pos to pos and neg to neg. All was good. When I rechecked it a few days later the orange triangle light with a semicolon in the middle was on which indicates there’s a problem on the genius G750 version 1 model..So the tender itself had gone defective….I’d used the tender for 3 or more years on two different Victories with the plug and go system with no problems ….So it’s a what the ****..mystery.. Thanks again for all the suggestions.. If you think of any other scenarios pass them on. Each one I check out only means I’m one step closer..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I’m curious, did the dealer say he could get his diagnostics to talk to the bikes computer or would the new computer not talk, once it was hooked into the bus?
No the diagnostics couldn’t talk to the computer. Think he tried reloading the stage one programme with no response. That’s why Polaris suggested to replace it which I did but it made no difference…except I was out $800. as they couldn’t return it.. Replaced the fuel pump as well but that wasn’t the problem either.. The original fuel pump wouldn’t shut off. Also wasn’t pumping gas..The new one did the same. So it wasn’t that either..Also checked out the signal switch as that causes issues with other areas of the bike as well.. Not that either. Polaris suggested I buy a new wiring harness next which was a crazy price plus the hours to take the old one out and install the new one would’ve been nuts. I found a used one on line and am in the process of doing the work myself. Bought the mechanics repair catalog on line which is quite helpful. Also taking lots of pictures as I remove the old one.. In over my head but if there’s a Will theres a way.. Like I mentioned in another post I’m a stubborn old full but I’ll be on the road this summer come he’ll or high water…COVID rules will be the only thing keeping me from tripping..Not many years left to twist the throttle, hear the roar and feel that freedom..love it..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts