Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at the Vic website, I note that they sell a cord that has a plug for the power outlet on one end and the connection for a battery tender on the other. Can one charge the battery through the power outlet with this cord. If not, of what use would this type of cord be?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
My battery tender connection is on my battery. The cable is ran up from the battery and rests on the plastic cover right behind the oil cooler. It's not noticeable unless you are actually looking for it.

Reactions: GatorJoe

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
My cross country came with a battery tender cord already installed.

·
Registered
632 Posts
In looking at the Vic website, I note that they sell a cord that has a plug for the power outlet on one end and the connection for a battery tender on the other. Can one charge the battery through the power outlet with this cord. If not, of what use would this type of cord be?
Yes you can.... But most if not all battery tenders come with a cord AKA Pig tail that you can connect it directly to your battery..

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use the adapter you are talking about on my Vision. There are 2 on a Vision. Not sure how many are on your bike. One is switched and one is unswitched. The unswitched outlet is the one you want. It works great.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have three XCT bikes and use the adaptor you are describing on all three. I plug into the female hole on the lower left of the fairing and the other end of this adaptor connects to the battery tender wire. This plug on the fairing is unswitched so is perfect for the purpose. You can but a 5 pack of these adaptors on Amazon for about $6.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I do the same as @Vinish. Plug the battery tender into the cigarette lighter on the left of the dash and leave it there all winter. No problems.
It sure seems easier to access than the normal battery tender pigtail that is tucked under or behind some part down low on the bike where I am guaranteed to hit my head on the bars when I stand back up. Sometimes, the battery tender pigtail is zip-tied out in the open such as to the frame near the hard lowers on a XCT. This is not that noticable but is still visible and detracts slightly from the look of the bike. Why not take advantage of an unswitched path to the battery already built into the fairing. Of course, this option only works for those bikes with an unswitched female power port like the XCT.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Some peoples' XCTs came with a plug. Some others, like mine, did not.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah one of my XCT bikes has the standard pigtail plug hooked directly to the battery. The plug end of this pigtail is tucked way back under part of the lower cowling with the wire zip-tied to the frame. It can be accessed but is a bit of a pain. It is easier to use the unswitched female power port on the fairing. This reminds me that I should remove that pigtail someday.

Can you jump a bike through one of these pigtails if you constructed the appropriate adaptor that had the pigtail connector on one end and spring clamps on the other end? The wires appear to be too high a gauge (too thin) to be suitable for the amperage of jumping but I'm not sure.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
203 Posts
Can you jump a bike through one of these pigtails if you constructed the appropriate adaptor that had the pigtail connector on one end and spring clamps on the other end? The wires appear to be too high a gauge (too thin) to be suitable for the amperage of jumping but I'm not sure.

G'day,

Vinish
I certainly wouldn't try jumping the bike this way. You are only asking for trouble. You could blow fuses and burn wires into. If you have to jump, go directly to the battery with the appropriate cables.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Great Tool in an Emergency

Well you wouldn't actually JUMP from it.
What you could do is connect the abovementioned cable between bikes and let your battery CHARGE, the longer the better. Even as little as 5 minutes could do it.
Then disconnect one side of the cable and try starting your bike, it might be just enough charge to get it going, and small enough to stow anywhere on your bike.
It doesn't have to be long, maybe six feet, you could coil it all up in a zip-lock sandwich bag. It makes a great emergency Christmas gift for the biker who has everything.
:smile

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use the adapter you are talking about on my Vision. There are 2 on a Vision. Not sure how many are on your bike. One is switched and one is unswitched. The unswitched outlet is the one you want. It works great.
I know I have the switched one in the glove box, where is the other outlet?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not sure about an 09 but on my 14, there is a power outlet in the trunk on the very back wall just below the latch in the middle. This is the unswitched outlet.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I'll just put this out here, even though I imagine a lot of you will think this is overkill, that I'm a dork, spent too much money on this, etc. (Actually, a fair amount of people probably think I'm a dork for any number of reasons, and they may be right, so that's not a show stopper.)

Early on, I added a Powerlet female outlet through the left side cover. Yes, this is addition to the cigarette-lighter-style outlets in the dash, left lower fairing, and trunk... and a Vic-optional Powerlet outlet I had the dealer install upon delivery (way up front and way down low, in front of the front cylinder).

Why add the side-cover Powerlet?

1) Powerlet plugs are much robust, make a better connection, and stay plugged in better than cigarette-lighter-style plugs. This is important if you use an outlet while riding.

2) I've found that this under-the-left-thigh location is perfect for plugging in heated gear, and so have used this location on several bikes.

3) I plug in a smart charger not just during the winter here in the Northeast, but after every ride; I've read, and I believe, that this makes batteries last longer. Being old and creaky, in order to make this convenient, I don't want to bend down, or have to reach far, etc.

I have a sub-gallery on this project, if anyone's interested:

Victory Powerlet in Side Cover

So far, LILMAGS500 has taken me up on this, but he may be the only one. Note that as opposed to my red cover, his is fancy, and I think the outlet looks nice there. (OP: I gather, from searching, that you have a Magnum . You might want to include that info in a signature or someplace, as that is often relevant when people respond to questions.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
look down at the oil cooler its there
V. Johnny: it's my understanding from reading the forums for almost four years that whether or not an SAE pigtail (for a charger or what have you) -- if that's what you're referring to -- is largely or solely dependent on the dealer. That is, I don't think there's a standard situation.

My guess is that many dealers install an SAE pigtail for their own uses -- e.g., to keep their inventory charged up -- or just to give a little benefit to their customers.

...if, as I say, that's what you're talking about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts