Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody
Just joined up looking forward to some great advice from the people who ride these brilliant motorcycles, I own a 2013 board walk photos to come. the problem I have is the battery discharged after only one week without starting is this normal ? being only 2 years old I would imagine it would not discharge so rapidly or do these batteries need replacing after this period, I ride every weekend and have not experienced this happen before the bike is switched off and has no power draw. EG: alarm etc. Would appreciate your thoughts.
Steve

·
12,970 Posts
battery should last 5 years or more. With 10mm wrench make sure battery bolts are tight.

Your arm must be draining battery. Hook battery tender up to it if you let it sit for long periods.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Check the terminals if there're loose add a star washer to them, and while you're there install a pig tail so it will be easy to plug in a tender.. But battery's are mysterious black boxes, Most will last 5 years+- And some will give up the ghost in less than 2 years...

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
My Vic Battery was flat also after 1 year, i replaced it with a Japanese battery and no problems since

I use a trickle charger 6 months a year because of my work 4/4 weeks, works ok

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have not found the OEM batteries to be reliable. When my V-regulator went out- they also replaced the battery with no prompting from me. Corp guy said- the battery is unlikely to recover once below a certain level. Tech agreed.

To bolster that statement- I installed a couple of USB power points directly to the (new) battery front and back a couple months later.

Consensus was that there shouldn't be much of any draw if nothing plugged in. WRONG.. Drained the battery in a couple days, and it would NOT recharge. They are hooked up to an ignition wire now.

Inspect your connections/clean with wire brush, maybe a dab of dielectic grease, install star washer. TIGHTEN.

Test with a meter. If it drops below.... oh hell I forget now.... 12.4 after a ride or charge- replace it. A good battery should hold onto 12.7 or 8 for a good while. I got a gel Duracell from Batteries +. So far- it has been a BEAST. Same specs as factory (310 CCA) but it bench tested at over 525 after sitting on a shelf.

My 2 cents- the OEM batteries are ****. Someone check me on that voltage reading please.....

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
We use these on the bikes.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1/175-2104602-6839008?ie=UTF8&qid=1433195569&sr=8-1&keywords=Battery+Tender+Junior[/ame]
This particular model. Since we started using them not one has failed and some are 10 yrs old at least. The average life of a battery has gone from a couple of years, to where you buy a new one because the darn thing is so old you can't believe it will still start a bike and use the old battery on the riding mower. We keep them plugged in when they aren't actually going somewhere all the time.

Same with the cars and trucks around here. Batteries have gotten expensive and these battery tender jr's have gotten cheaper.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Regardless of the brand you end up with- get a good quality battery maintainer and use it if the bike will sit for say.. 2 weeks or more. That's probably being more careful than needed, but you get the drift.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
slow death

any battery that sets without a full charge is slowly dying, even new activated batteries in showroom bikes are fading daily unless charged in a timely manner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts