Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I contacted Honda East Toledo using a PM and got a price for 5 quarts of Vic oil to do an oil change. When I needed to pay them for the oil I sent a follow up PM and got no response. Being a bit eager to get things going I went to their web site and used the phone number there to contact them. The person who usually deals with us was off on vacation so I dealt with the person on the phone. They sent me a request for a PayPal payment and since everything looked the same I paid it. When the shipment arrived I had 4 quarts of Vic oil instead of the 5 I expected. I called the dealer and asked for the person we usually deal with. He was back from vacation and looked things up for me. According to him I got exactly what I should have based on the dealer's records. The other person at Honda East had willingly agreed to send me 4 quarts of oil for the price I had been quoted for 5 quarts. I have no recourse through PayPal because the billing just describes my purchase as "goods", not 5 quarts of oil.
If a person's word is not good, why would you deal with him? I live in farm country and have dealt with lots of folks based on nothing more than a verbal agreement for thousands of dollars worth of value. Around here your word is worth something but apparently it is not so at Honda East. Be warned and do not trust them at all.
End of rant.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I cant get too involved in this thread , this stuff pisses me off ... First of all your Vic takes more then 4QTS to fill it back up , you telling me they don't know that at H.E. ? 4Qts is useless , that wont even be enough to turn off your oil light .... Never mind they originally quoted you for 5QTS , They should have made it right and sent you another QT Au Gratis . IMHO

·
Registered
450 Posts
Send them a screen shot of the PM and see if they'll make it right. I always save ALL documents, PMs, emails, voice mails, and text messages until a deal is complete and I'm happy.

I agree about doing business based on a mans word....BUT..... It is kind of hard to keep up with verbal agreements when you set up a business to serve the entire nation. I'm sure you're an honest man but as you've leaned in your years, many folks have no scruples.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The normal guy you deal with couldn't look back in his records and see that he quoted you 5 qts? Man that's a shitty way to do business. They should know they messed up and just send you another quart. It's less than $10 instead they have an unhappy customer and a thread doubting their integrity. $10 is worth my own integrity let alone a business'.

·
Registered
837 Posts
The normal guy you deal with couldn't look back in his records and see that he quoted you 5 qts? Man that's a shitty way to do business. They should know they messed up and just send you another quart. It's less than $10 instead they have an unhappy customer and a thread doubting their integrity. $10 is worth my own integrity let alone a business'.

:I agree:

me too.

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
This is a great example of why I like to order over the phone. Not only do I get what I want, I sometimes get suggestions for a better purchase. Or maybe it just being an old codger, I have learned to not be too trusting when its my money and someone else is in control of the situation.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow! I thought they were a "stand up" type company. Are they not a site sponsor?
Yes, you are right, they are a site sponsor. That is one reason that I dealt with them in the first place. So what? I don't think that gives them the right to do as they please. I have gone out and bought enough other oil to be able to do my oil change but I will repeat it now. If they ask you to pay x amount for "goods", get them to specify exactly what goods. At least that way PayPal will back you up if things don't go right. That is the only way I will deal with them in the future.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree about doing business based on a mans word....BUT..... It is kind of hard to keep up with verbal agreements when you set up a business to serve the entire nation. I'm sure you're an honest man but as you've leaned in your years, many folks have no scruples.
What I have learned from dealing with businesses around here is that a man's word is gospel. I am presently building a new home for myself and the people who drill wells came out and drilled based on a verbal agreement with me. The people who installed my roof did so on a verbal agreement. The guy who dug a trench to run in my permanent power will soon bill me for that work and will get paid. The guy who dug my foundation and the guy who poured concrete for that foundation did so on a verbal agreement and got paid promptly. Around here your word is your bond or very quickly you will be out of business. No, "many folks have no scruples" just doesn't cut it where I live. I expect no less when dealing with people.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes, you are right, they are a site sponsor. That is one reason that I dealt with them in the first place. So what? I don't think that gives them the right to do as they please. I have gone out and bought enough other oil to be able to do my oil change but I will repeat it now. If they ask you to pay x amount for "goods", get them to specify exactly what goods. At least that way PayPal will back you up if things don't go right. That is the only way I will deal with them in the future.
I agree, but the point I was trying to make is if I was a site sponsor, I sure would not want a thread like this on a board I was sponsoring!!!! Me thinks that is embarrassing!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't want to be embarrassed, don't treat me this way. I am not a doormat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
^^^^^^^ This that way they might see this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
To make a long story short,
End of rant.
Sorry "Oldman47" to hear you got :soapbox: these days it feels like half of the world is fighting for "just another day of salary" and no more "pride" in there jobs.......

I order Oil by BOX as i will stick with VIC oil anyway.... so if I finish this box then better i order 2 boxes to save on transport.....

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I'm still riding the two plus hours to my dealer when I need something. Have started wondering if a Harley might not be so bad as they have a lot better dealer network. I wonder if Harley dealers stock clutch cables? On the road I have also stopped at a Victory dealer that had no Victory oil in stock. I was on my way home from a trip and knew I had four quarts at home so was going to pick up a quart of oil and filter from a dealer I was passing by. Not a single quart to be had!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
HD certainly has cluch cables. If your bike is less than four years old a Harley dealer has 95% of your bike on shelves.

When you buy any of those parts a portion of your cost is factored to pay for the parts storage, and the parquet floors, and the boutique, and the expresso machine, and the pool tables, and the toy trains, and the greeter, and so forth.

I order oil online since my eyes are shot and I can't shoot 9ball worth a damn any more. Plus I roast my own coffee so I just flat ran out of uses for Harley dealerships.

·
Registered
545 Posts
We get a 20% discount when we order thru "the regular guy" at Honda East thru this forum... if you get in a hurry and contact them without going thru the forum, who knows what happens. The following is an example of the math... 5 quarts oil @ $10 quart = $50 less 20% = $40 plus shipping thru the forum. Now in comes another "not the regular guy" and sees that you invoiced $40 plus shipping... reverse the math... $40 divided by $10 a quart = 4 quarts. That's what you got... it's not up to the "not the regular guy" to understand that you are a forum member and had ordered thru the forum at our discount... call him up and remind him and see if this issue doesn't quickly become a non-issue. Better yet, you yourself could show some restraint and do your transactions thru the proper channels the agreed upon way (forum site PM's) and you would avoid any mix-ups. People make mistakes, except you of course, it has nothing to do with the integrity of this dealer or our site sponsor.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Seems like a simple fix so why tread on it. Those that still use Vic's oil should be ordering the boxed kit. No? Seems like it's the bargain and you get everything in one box like a happy meal. :ltr:

I really appreciate my Amsoil site sponser. Same money better product. Fast service. I'm surprised at the many who do not take advantage of it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm still riding the two plus hours to my dealer when I need something. Have started wondering if a Harley might not be so bad as they have a lot better dealer network. I wonder if Harley dealers stock clutch cables? On the road I have also stopped at a Victory dealer that had no Victory oil in stock. I was on my way home from a trip and knew I had four quarts at home so was going to pick up a quart of oil and filter from a dealer I was passing by. Not a single quart to be had!

Vic makes a great machine, but they have the worst excuse for parts and supplies I have ever seen. I have many stories --- here is just one. When having my bars powercoated, I needed new plastic plugs that go into the holes in the bottom of the bars that hold the zip ties that go around the cables. They retail for about $1.79 each. I need 2 and of course they do not have any in stock so I tell them to get me 5 just in case I need some for the future, so they order me 5 which is less than $10---then they charge me $10 shipping and handling. I am not ordering online!!!!!!!!! I am standing at a counter and this will come in a week with the next regular scheduled order from MA VIC, but I have to pay more than the cost of the item for S&H for an item because they choose not to stock it. This is not a misprint.

I ain't even gonna start on my stories about tryng to get a tire and clutch cable. This is Oldman's thread about dis-satisfaction with a Vic dealership. I don't want to hijack his anger and replace it with my own.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts