Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
be very careful when servicing the air filter on cr-cc as it is VERY easy to break off the fuel inlet,then you have to replace fuel pump assy. (not cheap) when you get you new one it will probably be the the new updated one. the one thing i noticed first is you get a new fuel sender float assy. but you DO NOT get a new quick connect for your pump end,they have changed the nipple on the pump to a 7/16" dia.,the stock one was a 3/8". i can understand why they changed this,but why not send a replacement nipple? now i am on the hunt for a connector,or will have to spend 60+dollars for a new hose and connectors. VICTORY THIS SET_UP SUCKS!!! any one else gone thru this?? if so let me know where you found a connector,i was told vic don't have. and cant locate here anywhere.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Default be very careful!!!!!
be very careful when servicing the air filter on cr-cc as it is VERY easy to break off the fuel inlet,then you have to replace fuel pump assy. (not cheap) when you get you new one it will probably be the the new updated one. the one thing i noticed first is you get a new fuel sender float assy. but you DO NOT get a new quick connect for your pump end,they have changed the nipple on the pump to a 7/16" dia.,the stock one was a 3/8". i can understand why they changed this,but why not send a replacement nipple? now i am on the hunt for a connector,or will have to spend 60+dollars for a new hose and connectors. VICTORY THIS SET_UP SUCKS!!! any one else gone thru this?? if so let me know where you found a connector,i was told vic don't have. and cant locate here anywhere.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Been there, pump and new fuel line cost $300 to clean my air filter! When sliding fuel tank back into place, be sure the fuel line is pointing to the rear of the bike. If the line is pointing to the side it will catch the frame when lowering the rear of the tank into place and snap the nipple off!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey, at least they redesigned it. Other manufacturers continue production knowing that there is a design flaw.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Be There....Done That

Hate to say it but I'm in the been there....done that crowd. :mad:

Anyway, here is the link to the thread from my adventure in locating the parts and how I got them. Hope it helps. http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6537&page=1

The "Lesson Learned" out of this for me was read the forum before I do stupid things....It would have saved me @ $500.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I sorry to say but I was part of that last thread. I was at Arlen Ness for demo days and I was talking to one of the parts guys and with the extended warranty he could have gotten it covered. But since I did not purchase the pump and fuel line from them he could not do anything about it. Let me know if you get it covered because that new pump cost me to put my PCV on hold until this February.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
ouch...

Hey, at least they redesigned it. Other manufacturers continue production knowing that there is a design flaw.
It was the visual of the "snapped nipple" that got 'em to move on it...:ltr:

·
Registered
336 Posts
The older thread which is referenced pretty much has all of the info you need. Kate at Honda Toledo East hooked me up and I think they may have decided to stock some extras.

·
Registered
422 Posts
GREAT HEADS UP guys, thanks 300 times!! Got a link to the other thread just for more info on this nightmare?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah...this design sucks!

Broke mine off today...knowing to be very careful...barely bumped the dang thing...and SNAP! I'm going to mill a larger hole where the nipple broke, thread it, then turn a new nipple on the lathe, and thread it into the fuel pump body. Should work providing the plastic housing is thick enough to get enough threads in it to seal. Can't believe the design of that pump...the engineers dropped the ball on this one...and Vic is making a pretty penny selling fuel pumps:ltr:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Repair complete

So I milled down the fuel pump base where the nipple broke off, drilled and tapped the hole for a 3/8-24 at 70% so they would be nice and tight. Turned down a new nipple out of 304 SS. Had to disassemble the fuel pump to get it on the mill. Anyway used a teflon thread sealer on the threads of the new nipple. Got the pump back together, back on the tank, and got the bike back together. No leaks, rode it for a few hours. Total time tearing the bike down, repairing the fuel pump, getting it all back together, about 6 hours.
Oh, I did have to buy a 3/8-24 tap...12 bucks. Sure beat 400 for a new pump. Here's pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Looks good - you may want to market it to Victory or at least a dealership or two.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Fricken Victory, does EVERYTHING RIGHT but this deal? Makes me concerned about doing anything that has to do with removing it.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Fricken Victory, does EVERYTHING RIGHT but this deal? Makes me concerned about doing anything that has to do with removing it.
That's a long and expensive way around that block VJ. I'll repost my pics here so all can see my fast and cheap that has worked so far.
No milling machine or metal lathe required. Just simple hand tools for simple me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Will someone explain to me why the **** this is made out of plastic ???:crzy::mad:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Man, now I want one of those stainless nipples. I'm gonna try like crazy to not break anything but obviously that can still happen no matter how hard you try to save it.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Will someone explain to me why the **** this is made out of plastic ???:crzy::mad:
It's cheap to make and when you break it they get to sell you another one that was cheap to make. thumb up From their side it looks like a win win. Win when they make the first one, win again when they sell the replacement.:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts