Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing a howling sound coming from the rear end pretty consistent above 50 or 60 mph. The faster I go the louder it gets. The sound tone seems to change as I lean the bike. Pretty sure this is a rear wheel bearing to be replaced, but I thought I would post it to see what you guys say.

Im still fairly new to diagnosing and wrenching on my bike.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
Is the drive belt running hard against one side? Is it properly adjusted at 1-1/4" deflection cold, between the pulleys and bike off the floor? After a long ride, immediately get off and carefully so you don't get burned one the right muffler, push up on the belt between the pulleys - is it guitar string tight or is there a little slack. Rub some bar soap along the sides of the belt and see if the noise goes away, then its belt adjustment and not a bearing.
Try the above and come back with the answer. If the noise persists, then it may be a bearing. Its not that difficult to replace them if you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle. We're here to help.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
How many miles on your bearings? Besides what RICZ said the noise could also be from the tire. I'd check the simple things first before jumping to the bearings...they seem to hold up well in Vics and don't typically need changing until the bike is way up in miles.

·
13,003 Posts
simple test when you hear the sound pull in the clutch. If sound stops its the belt. If you still hear it could be bearings. All Balls has some good bearings. As good as OEM or better

http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1382.html

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
The good news part is its very easy to remove the rear wheel if you have to. No need to remove the pipes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
simple test when you hear the sound pull in the clutch. If sound stops its the belt. If you still hear it could be bearings. All Balls has some good bearings. As good as OEM or better

25-1382 | All Balls Racing
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the belt still turns when the clutch is engaged. So if the belt is rubbing against the side of the rear pulley the sound would still be there when the clutch is engaged.

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the belt still turns when the clutch is engaged. So if the belt is rubbing against the side of the rear pulley the sound would still be there when the clutch is engaged.
Yep; but not under load. Under load the belt will go harder to the side which causes it to chirp. Let of the gas and pull in the clutch and there's no load.

The cure of course is to align the belt if possible or continue to lube the side with wax or other lube that won't hurt the belt. Usually it's the outside side.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Do you still have the original E3 tires that came on the bike? Mine rear tire was making a similar noise at about the same speed, particularly when in a lean doing 55 mph. I only had a few thousand miles when they started making that noise and the noise just got worse till I replaced them at 10k miles.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ill try to do some testing today.

The rear tire is at 10k. Bearings at 12k. Picked up a nail at 2k the day after i bought it. New e3 was put on.

Yes the noise persists when the clitch is pulled. I did that quite a bit yesterday so I could hear the noise better. I had posted about a chirp a little while back but that went away. Maybe all these issues are related.

Thanks for the advise and tips. Love this forum.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update. Day off today. Put soap on sides of belt (RICZ's idea). Chirping gone! But humming/howling is still there. Next thing is to figure out how to get the rear end off the ground so I can check tension.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
When the bike is cold and sitting in your garage/driveway, feel the belt. How tight is it? How far can you move it with one finger? If it's less than an inch, it's probably too tight.

·
Premium Member
13,167 Posts
Do you still have the original E3 tires that came on the bike? Mine rear tire was making a similar noise at about the same speed, particularly when in a lean doing 55 mph. I only had a few thousand miles when they started making that noise and the noise just got worse till I replaced them at 10k miles.
Good point!! I threw my E3's away at 6k and went darkside. Never looked back so I forgot all about the famous E3 whine.

On mine I noticed it in sweeps; not on the straights but maybe with more miles on them they would have done it all the time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When the bike is cold and sitting in your garage/driveway, feel the belt. How tight is it? How far can you move it with one finger? If it's less than an inch, it's probably too tight.
I just checked and with the bike sitting on the ground. I can move the belt up 1-3/8 of an inch. Tonight my friend and I are going to try to jack it up and see what’s going on with this thing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point!! I threw my E3's away at 6k and went darkside. Never looked back so I forgot all about the famous E3 whine.

On mine I noticed it in sweeps; not on the straights but maybe with more miles on them they would have done it all the time.
I know there are probably lots of threads on this, but what tire did you go with?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
I just checked and with the bike sitting on the ground. I can move the belt up 1-3/8 of an inch. Tonight my friend and I are going to try to jack it up and see what’s going on with this thing.
Got one of these? Very handy when you just want to get the wheels off the floor a little. Also for removing the rear wheel in conjunction with a larger MC lift...
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Motorcycle-Center-Scissor-Hoist/dp/B01M33H1RE/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1508517148&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=motorcycle+pscissors+lift[/ame]
Need this to adjust belt...
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0350-Tension-Gauge/dp/B009D398CQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1508517362&sr=1-3&keywords=motorcycle+drive+belt+gauge[/ame]

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
From the time my bike was new, the belt would get extremely tight after a good run. No noises, but it bothered me because I was concerned about the sideways pull on the involved bearings. I checked the belt tension (always overnight cold) and it was always to spec, according to the manual.
I was chatting with a fellow forum member about that and he said, better too loose than too tight. So I loosened the adjusters so that the belt had some slack after a long ride. Now, when cold, the belt has a lot of slack - way more than spec. No problems though. And my mind is more at ease.
Just thought I'd toss this in for consideration.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Loose is good when cold because it seems the aluminum engine/frame/swingarm expands more when hot when compared to steel. That belt tightens right up when she's hot. If it's very tight to begin with, then it will be too tight when she's up to operating temperature.

·
Registered
12,205 Posts
Loose is good when cold because it seems the aluminum engine/frame/swingarm expands more when hot when compared to steel. That belt tightens right up when she's hot. If it's very tight to begin with, then it will be too tight when she's up to operating temperature.
The strange thing was that the belt was at spec cold, but guitar string tight when hot and I didn't think that was a good thing. So I adjusted it to have a bit of slack when hot.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
***update***

two issues trying to diagnose: chirping and howling from the rear.

i put soap on sides of belt and chirping stopped.
since the noise stopped then I know it was a belt chirp and probably caused by poor alignment. I jacked up the bike last night and (i think) corrected the alignment by following the procedure in the victory service manual. I also verified the tension and it seamed correct. i will be getting a 10lb tension gauge to be sure, but I don't think that is an issue as of right now.

took the bike for a ride and the chirping is still gone and the howling is still there.

next i guess is the rear bearing?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts