Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy.
I like how much good information is here.. I have been creepin for years. I decided it was finally time to say hello.

I ride a 13 Highball with a bunch of Lloydz stuff on it, and I absolutely love the bike. She shits and gits. haha.

Anyways, wanted to say hi.

...now on to the tech forum to figure out why it wont idle for crap when it is cold!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Howdy.
I like how much good information is here.. I have been creepin for years. I decided it was finally time to say hello.

I ride a 13 Highball with a bunch of Lloydz stuff on it, and I absolutely love the bike. She shits and gits. haha.

...now on to the tech forum to figure out why it wont idle for crap when it is cold!
Great to see you. Welcome from Florida!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
691 Posts
Great to see the Hi.....I am a recent member to the forum and loving it...great folks awesome knowledge...

Ride Safe,
Rob

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Howdy.

Welcome,....now your idle, as Johnny says fresh plugs are always a start.
LLOYDZ goodies hey...tell us more..
if you have an IAV Idle Air Valve you may need to adjust it for idle quality...try backing it out a little

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome! I used to live just west of Minneapolis, near Buffalo MN. I recently moved to Colorado for work, and I love this state already!

I was going to save the tech question for the tech section, but here's a quick rundown:

Lloydz:
Torque Tubes
DR cams
Timing wheel
adjustable air valve
PC5
Lloyd himself dyno tuned it

The thing runs so good off idle. The cold idle is none existent on this thing though.

It was tuned with the IAV out 4 turns.

When I try to start it cold, it wont start. It'll pop a spit a bit, but unless I hold the throttle open a bit, it will not start. Further, it will not idle either for the first 45 seconds to a minute. When it finally warms up, the idle is still really low, about 800 to 850 rpms. Lloyd said it should be around 1,000.

If I screw the IAV out 5.5 turns, I can get 900 rpms out of her, but then on decel it pops and backfires pretty bad.

I put new plugs in it about 3 weeks ago, and haven't ridden it since, only been trying to fix the idle first. It's getting cold here in Colorado, so the idle is an even bigger problem with falling temps.

So there you have it. Any suggestions? I'm all ears because this is frustrating!

·
13,172 Posts
To be honest we could all give you a 100 ideas. What you should do is get a hold of Lloydz and explain the problem.
Here is one idea. Check the ground on the PCV and ask Lloydz how to tell if you have a bad PCV

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest we could all give you a 100 ideas. What you should do is get a hold of Lloydz and explain the problem.
Here is one idea. Check the ground on the PCV and ask Lloydz how to tell if you have a bad PCV
I hear ya. I did reach out to him. He had me increase fuel by 10% at idle. Did nothing.
He's super busy, and I get it, and his responses take a couple weeks. So instead of bombarding him, I thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else struggled with this and how they fixed it. That's what forums are for, right? :)

The bike seems to run great off idle. I can ride in the Rockies here with zero elevation issues. It's just the **** idle that I'm struggling with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
How long has this been happening? Once when I was messing around with connections (I unplugged the Intake Air Control from the bike), it wouldn't run for **** when it was idling without holding the throttle at all. After I did about 5-6 power cycles (key on, key off, wait... key on, key off, wait...) did the IAC finally reseat itself and the idle returned. Have you unplugged your IAC by chance?

[EDIT] If you have the Intake Air Valve, then you are probably bypassing the IAC. I don't know for sure since I don't have one...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long has this been happening? Once when I was messing around with connections (I unplugged the Intake Air Control from the bike), it wouldn't run for **** when it was idling without holding the throttle at all. After I did about 5-6 power cycles (key on, key off, wait... key on, key off, wait...) did the IAC finally reseat itself and the idle returned. Have you unplugged your IAC by chance?

[EDIT] If you have the Intake Air Valve, then you are probably bypassing the IAC. I don't know for sure since I don't have one...
It's been doing it since I got it back. I just didn't ride it much after the tune as it was fall and I moved back to MN and it went into storage. Then in the spring I moved to Colorado so the bike didn't see much love after all the motor work. Now that I'm settled I'm finding the idle unbearable.
I have cycled the key 3 times like it says to reset iac. I've also done the tps relearn as well that I found on the forums.
It's like it isn't getting enough air, even with the adjustable valve out 5.5 turns

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Theres a setting procedure for the IAV and its pretty touchy..read Lloydz instructions go back to base setting on it and adjust it in 1/4 turn increments.
Sounds to me it could be way out.
Think of it as a mixture screw on a carby but in reverse.
Out lets more air in and in reduces the idle air intake...its sensitive and you may have to tolerate some snap crackle pop out your exhaust, to get it idling nice...
Other thought is it needs to be taken out on a good long straight road with fresh fuel and thrashed!:devil
Then set the IAV to Lloydz directions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Theres a setting procedure for the IAV and its pretty touchy..read Lloydz instructions go back to base setting on it and adjust it in 1/4 turn increments.
Sounds to me it could be way out.
Think of it as a mixture screw on a carby but in reverse.
Out lets more air in and in reduces the idle air intake...its sensitive and you may have to tolerate some snap crackle pop out your exhaust, to get it idling nice...
Other thought is it needs to be taken out on a good long straight road with fresh fuel and thrashed!:devil
Then set the IAV to Lloydz directions.
Thanks for the reply.

It's exactly 4 turns out. I screw it in to check every time by lightly seating it and then working it out.

I can assure you that there isn't any carbon built up in it. :D

This was set up by a dealer who does all sorts of custom work, and then Dyno tuned at 4 turns out.

I printed out Lloydz instructions and set it up again with zero change.

I'm starting to wonder what else could be going on here..

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
For what its worth.
Just checked mine and its at 5 turns out, different engine, different tune but.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For what its worth.
Just checked mine and its at 5 turns out, different engine, different tune but.
Well that is helpful. How is the backfiring on decel?
I'm also concerned about the tune. If I open the valve up, does that lean it out throughout the rpm band?

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Well that is helpful. How is the backfiring on decel?
I'm also concerned about the tune. If I open the valve up, does that lean it out throughout the rpm band?

Technically back firing is spitting back up the intake, but I know what you mean.
Crackle and bangs out the exhaust.
To me its not a problem, I quite like it actually and its not excessive.
I set for startup idle quality and any by-product of having a free breathing engine is acceptable to me .

The IAV only comes into play at idle and shouldnt effect there rest of the tune once off the idle circuit.

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
It's been doing it since I got it back. I just didn't ride it much after the tune as it was fall and I moved back to MN and it went into storage. Then in the spring I moved to Colorado so the bike didn't see much love after all the motor work. Now that I'm settled I'm finding the idle unbearable.
I have cycled the key 3 times like it says to reset iac. I've also done the tps relearn as well that I found on the forums.
It's like it isn't getting enough air, even with the adjustable valve out 5.5 turns

Im going back to the start here now you say its been running like that "since I got it back"
Got it back from where?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Technically back firing is spitting back up the intake, but I know what you mean.
Crackle and bangs out the exhaust.
To me its not a problem, I quite like it actually and its not excessive.
I set for startup idle quality and any by-product of having a free breathing engine is acceptable to me .

The IAV only comes into play at idle and shouldnt effect there rest of the tune once off the idle circuit.
I'm glad to hear it won't lean out the rest of the tune.

Yeah, I mean popping from the exhaust :)

I personally dislike when it does that, reminds me of an untuned Harley hahaha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im going back to the start here now you say its been running like that "since I got it back"
Got it back from where?
Got it back from the dealer who installed the parts and Lloyd who Dyno tuned it

·
Premium Member
8,934 Posts
Got it back from the dealer who installed the parts and Lloyd who Dyno tuned it

In that case you need to talk to Lloyd I think, sounds like youve moved around a bit, can you get the bike back to him?
After storage did you drain the old gas out and refill with fresh stuff?
Have you taken it out and given it a good thrashing to clear it out?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In that case you need to talk to Lloyd I think, sounds like youve moved around a bit, can you get the bike back to him?
After storage did you drain the old gas out and refill with fresh stuff?
Have you taken it out and given it a good thrashing to clear it out?
I've been trying to talk to Lloyd. His responses are very slow.. took him 2 weeks for his latest response.

I now live in Colorado. He's in New York. That's not happening.

I always put stable in the gas over the winter, no need to drain it out.

I've ran probably 30 tanks of fuel through it this summer, rode to Sturgis and all over the rocky mountains.

The bike is consistent. It's fast. Just a shitty cold idle and lowish warm idle.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts