Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had dealership change tires and install my Centramatics.

I've been troubleshooting an odd noise that happens after the I've been riding about 30 minutes and started poking around the wheels and belt.

I still haven't isolated the sound, which mimics a UPS truck braking to a stop - just not as loud. The sound doesn't really occur with either brake engaged, so find it odd and difficult to pinpoint.

While looking at the belt, I noticed it tighter than I remember it being for the past 3 years. Looked at the service manual and it says all kinds of junk about elevating the wheel and rotating the tire to get accurate measurements, but I don't have the equipment to do all of that, so using a ruler and my hand, push up as hard as I can on the bottom of the belt (which I'd assume is considerably more than the 10 lbs. indicated in the manual) and according to my eyeballs, I'm lucky to get 1/2" of deflection, MAAYYYBE 3/4". This is more than half of what the manual says is in spec. So, I'll be scheduling a visit back to the dealer to resolve. In the meantime, could this excessive belt tension be causing my mystery noise, or could it be causing any other potential problems?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Belts better a bit loose than too tight.
You use the same method to check as me so are you checking cold or hot after a ride?
Mine has as much as yours cold and gets tighter hot.
Once hot most of the play disappears but it's still not tight-tight... There is a bit of play.
So basically is it cold or hot.

Are you saying it's only made the sound since the dealers played with it?
If so take it back to them.
Changing tyres shouldn't affect belt tension if done correctly.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the bike's been sitting for about 4 hours, it's dark, so I'd say "cold". Agree that they did something wrong during the change, why I'm taking it back to them. Thanks for the notes.

BTW, hope to be down close to you in January - Melbourne for the Open. Isn't there a Vic dealership in Melbourne?

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
Yeah, the bike's been sitting for about 4 hours, it's dark, so I'd say "cold". Agree that they did something wrong during the change, why I'm taking it back to them. Thanks for the notes.

BTW, hope to be down close to you in January - Melbourne for the Open. Isn't there a Vic dealership in Melbourne?
Sure is mate, though Melbourne is 1200 miles south of me.
Actually I plan on doing a trip south late Dec early Jan to ride the Great Ocean Road and do a lap of Tasmania.
Remember too dealers here will give you a new Victory for two days 'test ride' as well as $150 towards over night stay in a hotel motel to make sure you ride somewhere.
Mad if you don't avail yourself of the offer.
I'll pm you my mobile number, give me a call when you get here.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
dealer once tightened the bejeezus outta my belt producing a gawd awful whine. It had maybe 3/8" of deflection.

this is why no one else gets to work on my bike lol

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
It goes against the grain , but I adjust my belt HOT .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Well , I start out by setting it to 1-1/4" deflection at the tightest point following the instructions per the manual . Then I ride hard . My belt will always be so tight it will feel like its going to tear off the rear pulley so I loosen the axle nut just a bit and back off both adjuster nuts a HALF A TURN and tap them forward lightly with a hammer .

Tighten the axle nut up in increments while tapping the adjusters forward then torque the nut to 60' lbs . I then tighten the adjuster nuts 1/4 of a turn or until they are snug . This extra step insures my belt never runs tight when HOT and this procedure has worked to perfection for me .

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
OP, I would strongly suggest you get the tool you need to check the belt for yourself. You can't and shouldn't trust a dealership mechanic to do things right which is sad. You can get a cheap motorcycle jack from harbor freight, a deflection tool on amazon, a cheap set of sockets and wrenches anywhere. The tool you don't want to skimp on is the torque wrench, try to stay with a name brand.

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
dealer once tightened the bejeezus outta my belt producing a gawd awful whine. It had maybe 3/8" of deflection.

this is why no one else gets to work on my bike lol
Been saying that for decades.....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
In the meantime, could this excessive belt tension be causing my mystery noise, or could it be causing any other potential problems?
Hell yes , a belt that is too tight makes all kinds of noises and you can even feel it in the floorboards .

·
13,188 Posts
most belt an bearing stores sells the tool even Harley. All the same tool.
If you have a friend that can help. Get a bunch of 2x4's. Now straddle bike. Lean it to one side and slide a 2x4 under it. Now do the same on the other side. Stack the boards till you get wheel off ground.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts