Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok last fall when it cooled off good my belt started chirping a little. So i have been trying to get rid of it. I have the tension right but the belt is riding near the inside(tire side) of the rear pulley and to the motor side on the front one. Which way do i need to adjust the wheel? My thought is to tighten the right side rear adjuster(as sitting on it)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am also interested in this as mine has been squeaking under load everytime I roll on the throttle since I took her out of storage. It appears to be adjusted properly as it sits but I am sincerely hoping the pulley isn't already shitting out after only 9 thousand miles.

·
13,177 Posts
best I can tell you is when rolling wheel forward you want the belt to "Just Come" off the inside flange moving to-wards the outside flange.
That way it should track in the middle of the rear pulley and thats where you want it.
You have no control over front pulley.
Some have said the right hand axle adjuster is for belt tension and the left hand axle adjuster is for the belt tracking.

Just so you know you could have a bad pulley and Vic has replace them in the past.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You use both Left and Right adjusters to get the "INITIAL" Belt Tension. Once you get the belt tension correct you should do the “Final" adjustment. The manual recommends that you use the Left adjuster only (minimizes changes in belt tension) when doing the Final Adjustment.

* Steps to accomplish the final adjustment: 1) Rotate the wheel BACKWARD. “Tighten” LEFT rear axle adjuster until belt begins to track to right sprocket flange (outboard) during backward wheel rotation. 2) Rotate the wheel in FORWARD direction. “Loosen” LEFT rear axle adjuster until belt moves off the right sprocket flange and begins to track to the left flange (inboard) during forward wheel rotation.

In your case, it sounds like you need to accomplish step # 1, which will get you off the inboard side. It’s easier to accomplish this with one person spinning and one adjusting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sounds like I'll be calling my buddy up to assist with this. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I needed a new pulley already. Stupid thing. At least I have the 5 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Just remember to tighten the axle bolt to spec and when you do tighten the bolt it is going to mess with your belt alignment. I got mine to go to the left side of the sprocket and then torque the axle bolt and it should shift it to the right slightly. I had to loosen the axle bolt and adjust tension bolt and re-torque the axle bolt a few times to get it right. My belt is still in a different position every time I look at it from coming home from a ride but it pretty much stays in the middle or to the left of the middle.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Think i got mine i was within about 1/2 or less turn off. Thanks guys, i will find out in the morning on the way to work.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It still made some noise but was better. So today i tweaked it some more, it was also just a little on the tight side so i loosened it up and got it lined up. Hopefully this has it.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still noisy but today i noticed its all from the motor pulley. So tonight i tweaked it just a little more, it made its way to the right edge of the rear pulley. Then i blew out the front pulley cover with compressed air thinking maybe it will help some.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can someone verify for me the belt tension specs for a 2012 xc. My book says 32mm +- .5mm with the wheel off the ground. Is this correct?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool thanks! I just wanted to make sure i wasnt reading it wrong or something.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
If you have every adjusted a treadmill you can see how the belt will walk from one side to the other. One other thing is people seem to tighten the belt to tight. The belt has to be a little loose. To tight it expands and squeals, it has to have a little play for friction and expansion..

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right on with the treadmill. My belt was a little loose, about 3mm at the tight spot and about 5-6 at the loosest.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My Kingpin belts chirped. Shop I took it to added a little "extra" tension. They of course ran it to see that it was tracking where it was supposed to be. Chirped at the 5-6K mark. Good luck, couldn't stand the bike with the chirp.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Use caution when adjusting the drive belt... And here is why...

If my bike is cold the belt is very loose. I can move it up and down 2 - 3 inches. And that's a lot of play.

But

Take the bike for a 30 min run and the belt is tight. I don't know what expands on these bike that will cause the belt to go from loose to tight but it does. And if you start off cold and the belt is semi tight it will be singing tight after a short ride.

A belt that is to tight will damage the bearings on the front pulley shaft or the back wheel or both. Check it after a ride!!!

You can get your belt to run dead centre of the rear pulley and here is how.......

1st adjust the belt tension .
2nd go for a ride and make sure it's not to tight after it warms up.
3rd to move the belt so it rides in the middle of the rear pulley always adjust the left side - do not adjust the right side as this will mess up your belt tension.

So here it goes.....
If the belt is rubbing the left side of the rear pulley - tighten the left adjuster... This will drive the belt to the right....

If the belt is rubbing the right side of the rear pulley - loosen the left adjuster.. To do this you will have to tap the axle forward towards the front of the bike. So loosen the left adjuster and then tap the axle forward.

Make small adjustments.
After belt tension adjustment do not touch the right adjuster....
This will not stop the squeaking from the belt. But it will stop the sides of the belt and pulley from wear. To stop squeak rub some soap on the belt. Works great

I adjusted my belt to run in the middle of the rear pulley last year and it still running in the middle this year.

Also forget where the belt runs on the front pulley. It doesn't matter on the front that is why it is wide and it has no sides for the belt to run up against. The belt will find its own position on the front if the rear is adjusted right.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I have been making just slight adjustments as i noticed it doesnt take much. I do think i can snug mine up just slightly as i noticed the squeak today is very much there when it is cold but by the time i got home it was almost gone. Its a 30 mile ride each way to work for me. Im thinking mine is a combo of slightly loose, slightly off to one side, cold temps(it hit 40 degrees today) and maybe the 2 miles of dusty gravel i drive daily.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts