·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,
I have a 2008 Kingpin. I have noticed lately a faint chirping noise when going slow. Looking at my belt it seems to be running against the outside of my rear pulley. Marks on the edge of my belt confirm this. Is this normal? Should I adjust my belt and alignment?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lay58u9hqlhxrwq/20150623_150001.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx84kqx3xw6vsvy/20150623_150034.jpg?dl=0

Thanks!
The belts on Vic's, for whatever reason, are incredibly temperamental. If the alignment and tension isn't just right, they make noise (dirt in the belt teeth can also cause this).

That said, the belt should ride on the outer edge of th epulley ever so slightly and set to proper tension (not sure what the tension should be set to on your 'pin).

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Loosen your axle nut , not a lot but enough so if you tap it lightly it will move . Loosen your left side adjusting nut 1/4 -1/2 a turn , no more than that , tap it forward to bottom out the adjuster and tighten the axle nut . This should help to pull the belt more towards the center of the rear pulley if its riding tightly against the outside . Sometimes your belt is more likely to squeak too if its unusually on the loose side . 1/4 -1/2 is a very small increment but may just do the trick . Clean your belt while your there with a plastic bristle brush and some soapy water , dish detergent is fine .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Can I do that with bike on the ground?
Yes , I had to do a full adjustment one time after my dealer overtightened my belt and virtually locked up on me when it heated up .... 60 miles from home . Yours is simple , this is why I told you to tap it forward , use a small piece of wood to put against it and hit it just until it bottoms out , then sock down the axle nut to 60 ft lbs , or in layman's terms , till its tight .thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
And , don't get your finger caught in the belt and cut the end off of it like I did last year .... Actually , today might even be the anniversary of that faithful day ....:D I did it while spinning the wheel on the lift with the belt guards removed , Don't remove your belt guards !:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had some sqeaks a while ago. I rubbed teh belt teeth down with a bar of soap....really! Quieted right down. I do this every so often now even if the belt is not squeaking thumb up

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loosen your axle nut , not a lot but enough so if you tap it lightly it will move . Loosen your left side adjusting nut 1/4 -1/2 a turn , no more than that , tap it forward to bottom out the adjuster and tighten the axle nut . This should help to pull the belt more towards the center of the rear pulley if its riding tightly against the outside . Sometimes your belt is more likely to squeak too if its unusually on the loose side . 1/4 -1/2 is a very small increment but may just do the trick . Clean your belt while your there with a plastic bristle brush and some soapy water , dish detergent is fine .
I only loosened axle and tapped in forward on left side then retightened. Seems to have worked. Think it may av been my fault. I loosened and retorqued the axle nut when I installed an axle cover two weeks ago. Probably pulled left side rearward whIle retorquing. Belts seems quiet now but still looks against right side if pulley. May try a 1/4 turn adjustment on left side now.

·
13,188 Posts
deepstuff

go for a ride and when you get up to 60 or 65 mph take your hands off the bars. If bike goes fast left or fast right belt is off.

The bike should drift slowly to the right

1 - 13 of 13 Posts