Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased my 08 Jackpot with 5000 miles from a car dealership . I got a great deal( but no warranty ).Earlier this week I noticed a pea sized rock imbedded in the center of my belt. I took it to my local Victory dealer who I've been doing business for years today to get a spring checkup and had them inspect the belt. The service rep told me that Victory says it's ok to have a rock in the middle of the belt but not on the sides. When I priced out a new belt and got an estimate on labor..... he informed me that I should purchase a new pulley also. The total est. was 1000.00.WOW. To make matters worse.. I have the blacked out wheels and engine along with a black sprocket. He said I would have to purchase a silver aluminum pulley,, ,as Victory doesn't make a black Sprocket for this old of a bike.
Can't I just use my old pulley? He gave me the reasoning of when you buy a new chain. .you should replace the old sprocket with new.
Also ..have any of you had a similar exp. with a rock in your belt.. and how long did you wait till you replaced it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
13,177 Posts
Go buy a belt and put it on the shelf for that bad say when yours breaks.
You can go a lot of miles with a pee size rock in the "middle" of the belt.
Your pulley might be just fine you can look for one some place to save a few bucks.
When the time comes and you need to replace the belt you can do it or maybe a Buddy can help. Its not that hard of a job and you don't need that many tools

·
Registered
190 Posts
The shop manual says to inspect the sprockets when replacing the belt. A belt drive pulley gets polished with use, it doesn't wear in the same way a chain driven sprocket does. If there are any marks from the rock, file/polish them out and reuse the pulley you have. A belt change on a victory isn't a big job, I would do it myself and save a bunch of coin. A Harley on the other hand, plan on a day for the first time (changed my dad's once on his Harley). I would think a belt and labor could be had for $400 ($300 parts and hour of labor).

As far as how long to run it with the rock damage....as long as it is in the middle of the belt, you can wait a little bit, but I wouldn't really want to be far from home and have it break. It's a tough call, it might never break, or it could break pulling onto the highway tomorrow. Just never know.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a darn good sized rock (bigger than Mikas) in the belt on my Vision at about 18K miles......and pretty near the edge.

Pushed it out and rolled with it.

Traded the bike in at 80K miles....same belt.

Lots of two up......lots of two up pulling a trailer.....lots of hard launches....running a cam'd motor dyno'd at almost 110hp.

Dont sweat that rock hole....aint a thing.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
I'm wondering how long the belt can last. I have 60k on mine and it looks like new. I never clean it and I live on an unmaintained dirt road.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Haven't done it on my Vic, but I replaced the belt on my Vulcan 900 without a pulley change. No problems, and tracks perfectly. If you are handy (and you need a motorcycle jack) you could just switch out the belt and see what happens. When that time comes for my Cross Country, that will be the first thing I try. Good luck. As others have said, you can run it with the rock. I take several long trips each year, and would worry that I would have an issue far away from home, so personally, I would fix it. If most of you riding is close to home, you might feel differently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts