Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fine one day , next morning , holy crap sounds like a group of Sparrows begging for seeds .... Scrubbed the belt and rode , no change . Full belt adjustment per manual to perfection , and another full scrubbing of belt and pulleys , belt looks brand new still . Still chirps like a bastard for the first two miles then subsides , but still there , pull in clutch and coast goes away , so only chirps under a load .... Pulleys look fine , no wear or dings . Any ideas ?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I spray the front pully and the part of the belt easy to get at with the dry Teflon stuff they make for chains. About once a week on busy ride times - my belt is silent

Or maybe a maxipad? :devil

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
Wax or bar soap on the side of the belt is the most common method. I like to use one of the below product personally.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Finish-Line-Dupont-Chain-Saver-Lubricant/dp/B00SJU6TBM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1441807893&sr=8-5&keywords=general+purpose+teflon+spray[/ame]

Amazon.com: DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant Aerosol Spray, 11 Oz.: Sports & Outdoors

Neither has done any harm to the belt and lasts longer than the more popular methods.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I spray the front pully and the part of the belt easy to get at with the dry Teflon stuff they make for chains. About once a week on busy ride times - my belt is silent

Yep. I've used this too and it does work.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
OMG!....MAGS....You so need to sell this bike. I swear, it gives you a new issue on a daily basis.

Reactions: LILMAGS500

·
Registered
347 Posts
Canning (paraffin) wax rubbed on the sides of the belt.. If you can, check the accuracy of your belt tension gauge.. Mine was off by 3lbs so would have been +30% too tight at the 10lb mark.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Awesome. Just lowered and readjusted my belt last night. Lo and behold, a little chirp.

I use that stuff religiously on the dirtbike and the mountain bikes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So , general consensus is squeak manifests from the sides of the belt ? I guess I'm not the only one with this issue evidently ...

·
Registered
418 Posts
When my belt is totally clean or very dusty it squawks very loud. I've used canning wax on the sides and all is well. I'm going to give the spray a chance. My only complaint is the wax melts out and looks like oil around the belt/pulley cover.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chugly , what spray are you going with ? You just going to spray the sides or hit the whole thing ?

·
Registered
347 Posts
One thing that has been rattling around my head.. ?? "Bitches in Heat" .. "Chirp" ??

I always fancied myself somewhat skilled in some areas - Yes, I know.. "Don't we all" :rolleyes: .. :D - but I ain't never made anybody ?? "Chirp" ??.. :eek

Goin' for a ride.. Have a Great Day, Peeps..

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You just need more experience young fella ....

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Mark, that's cuz you're not from Massachusetts and you're fussy about what you classify as your bitches.

Lilmags, it might be an idea to check and make sure the belt guards and pulleys are nice and tight. Applying torque does change the tracking but if you can't make it go away even temporarily with soap or other lubricant you may have another source of tracking problems. Especially if it was a major sudden change as it seems to be. Jack it up and see if anything wiggles that shouldn't. Check the bolts on the rear pulley and wheel axle.

·
13,262 Posts
Mags
you're smart enough that spray stuff and wax is not going to fix it.

When you're out for ride and doing around 60mph take hands off bars. If bike slowly drifts right then you know belt is aligned correct.
So then go to dealer and tell them what's what and see if Vic will warranty you a new pulley. There have been bad pulleys and Vic has replace them along with new belt.

Keep your finger out of the way

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mags
you're smart enough that spray stuff and wax is not going to fix it.

When you're out for ride and doing around 60mph take hands off bars. If bike slowly drifts right then you know belt is aligned correct.
So then go to dealer and tell them what's what and see if Vic will warranty you a new pulley. There have been bad pulleys and Vic has replace them along with new belt.

Keep your finger out of the way
Yea , I'm not a fan of special elixir's and voodoo fixes . That's why I spent the time to make the adjustments perfect . I figured this would cure the squeaking but it did not . I have all the belt guards intact so I can hold on to my digits .....:wink

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lilmags, it might be an idea to check and make sure the belt guards and pulleys are nice and tight. Applying torque does change the tracking but if you can't make it go away even temporarily with soap or other lubricant you may have another source of tracking problems. Especially if it was a major sudden change as it seems to be. Jack it up and see if anything wiggles that shouldn't. Check the bolts on the rear pulley and wheel axle.
Thanks , will do . It came on overnight , fine when I parked it , noisy the next morning .

·
Registered
569 Posts
This reminds me of when I was a kid and we had one of those roll a way dishwashers that hooked to the kitchen faucet. The belt on that think would whine like crazy. I would hold palmolive bar soap on the moving:laugh pulley to shut it up.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I had a bad chirp before I changed my tire. Ended up taking off the pulley so I could break the bead. When I replaced the tire and remounted the wheel, not one single chirp since then, and I replaced this tire last season!

I also know some folks had a real bad chirp going on and had their rear pulley replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts