Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it's been discussed before I am sure on here, maybe a couple of years ago. So how many miles are people getting out of the OEM drive belt. How many miles before you really need to change it out to a new one? Presently got about 54,000 miles on my XR with the original belt. Going on a three day trip of around 1200 miles soon, so it got me thinking. I have checked the bike over, changed the oil & filter, front brake pads, and fluid. Toned the exhaust down also recently, so maybe people will be able to ride behind me if they want, it was pretty loud before. Still need to wash it. So the belt life pops into my head, I am hoping it is good for a 100,000 miles! So and no I have not done much dirt riding lately with it...... Also I did notice my front brake lines are looking pretty crappy,so after this trip I may be contacting Paulie for some new ones.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I replaced my belt on my xr around 95000 miles that was only because my rear pully was wore down

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
I have a new one on the shelf that I was going to change at 50,000 miles but am now rethinking that.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Vic manual sez to change them at what, 30k? It's laughable. I'm at 40k and looks darn good.

·
Registered
762 Posts
52K on mine and still looks near new. No cracks.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Have heard 100K from normal use, 65-75K if the bike was ran hard and for long times. Biggest thing is making sure the tension and deflection is sport on or within spec. Polaris wont do anything as far as a warranty when it comes to belts.

·
13,263 Posts
over on a vision forum there are several guys with over 100K on their belts. On my 99 HD I had a 130K on the original belt. Sold it to a friend who put 30K more on the belt before he replaced it. Yes HD use the same Gates belt as Victory. You have to keep your belt clean and adjusted like Paulie said. Looking for cracks and missing lugs is up to you. On my vision (knock on wood ) I'm going to replace it at 100K if it don't break in the meantime.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Older bikes seem to be not as forgiving as the newer bikes go as far as stuff being out of spec.

I do know for sure that you don't want the belt so tight that once you put the bike in gear the belt snaps....and let a actual Victory or Indian place check it over, not 'Vinny' at the local bike club.

Polaris FYI, wont do anything about the Drive belts until they get the belt back and inspect it, of the dozens we have sent back over the years, they NEVER ONCE paid us back for any of them.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
Dumb question time.......
When hot, my belt would be guitar string tight and was correctly set to spec cold. I can't imagine that was doing the belt, pulleys and related bearings any good, so I now have adjusted the belt so there is a bit a slack when hot. I invite your collective thoughts on doing this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMHO, when hot, you don't need slack but you don't need it guitar string tight.

Done the same. I Slackened the belt tension off a bit. when my belt is stone cold it's fairly slack, almost as much as a motorcycle chain. After a nice ride it's tight but not "oh my goodness it's gonna snap" tight.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Done the same. I Slackened the belt tension off a bit. when my belt is stone cold it's fairly slack, almost as much as a motorcycle chain. After a nice ride it's tight but not "oh my goodness it's gonna snap" tight.
We had a issue with a gent on his older Vegas, took him three belts before he figured out what he was doing wrong.....You cant just toss the belt on and wing it, you need the info out of the service manual and a decent belt tension gauge, Motion Pro makes a good one and I think the VIC one may still be available. I know when the techs out back do a belt they check, double check, triple check, THEN road test and then check again. Them belts are not cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
We had a issue with a gent on his older Vegas, took him three belts before he figured out what he was doing wrong.....You cant just toss the belt on and wing it, you need the info out of the service manual and a decent belt tension gauge, Motion Pro makes a good one and I think the VIC one may still be available. I know when the techs out back do a belt they check, double check, triple check, THEN road test and then check again. Them belts are not cheap.
Like many, when I bought my XCT I was concerned about the belt adjustments. I ordered a gauge a month or two later. By the time I got around to checking it, I had a pretty clear picture of how it needs to be. I adjusted it and aligned it, but I never took the gauge out of the package. Still haven't. YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Like many, when I bought my XCT I was concerned about the belt adjustments. I ordered a gauge a month or two later. By the time I got around to checking it, I had a pretty clear picture of how it needs to be. I adjusted it and aligned it, but I never took the gauge out of the package. Still haven't. YMMV
The first belts that Victory had were pretty poor. I broke several of them. The new belts are much stronger. I don't hear anything about them braking. 10 years ago it was pretty common. I use to carry a spare on road trips. The old type of belt was soft and pliable. Easy to roll up and pack.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Polaris many moons ago changed the way they shipped the belts as well. They use to come folded up on themselves, till they started to realize that when they did that the belts started to fail faster.

They were cracking on the folds, so after a while they changed the boxes and ship them now unfolded.

Its the same as when you keep folding over a thin piece of metal or whatever, if you keep folding it back and fourth on its self, sooner or later it snaps.

·
Registered
90 Posts

yea i done the whole service manual procedure, back wheel off the ground, belt at ambient temperature, belt tension tool etc etc... still backed it off a little after.

I check my belt thoroughly and clean each groove with a toothbrush on a regular basis.... especially at the moment as the roads are kinda shitty after the winter season.

I hear ya though and i am usually a stickler for specs.... but that "guitar string" tension after a long ride.....

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Dumb question time.......
When hot, my belt would be guitar string tight and was correctly set to spec cold. I can't imagine that was doing the belt, pulleys and related bearings any good, so I now have adjusted the belt so there is a bit a slack when hot. I invite your collective thoughts on doing this.
I agree and have done this with all my belt drives for years ..

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Over 55K on my original belt and it still looks great. I've never, not even once, cleaned it. It was adjusted on the loose end of the spec and has never made noise either. I'm contemplating replacing it at 60K miles but the jury is still out on that.

Question:

Is the rear pulley a 'wear item"? I've read several accounts of people having to replace a worn rear pulley. Or does the rear pulley really only wear out when the belt is too tight?

I can't imagine the solid steel front pulley ever wearing out.

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Over 55K on my original belt and it still looks great. I've never, not even once, cleaned it. It was adjusted on the loose end of the spec and has never made noise either. I'm contemplating replacing it at 60K miles but the jury is still out on that.

Question:

Is the rear pulley a 'wear item"? I've read several accounts of people having to replace a worn rear pulley. Or does the rear pulley really only wear out when the belt is too tight?

I can't imagine the solid steel front pulley ever wearing out.
I changed the belt at 105,000 roughly, did not change the pulleys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts