Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Polaris many moons ago changed the way they shipped the belts as well. They use to come folded up on themselves, till they started to realize that when they did that the belts started to fail faster.

They were cracking on the folds, so after a while they changed the boxes and ship them now unfolded.

Its the same as when you keep folding over a thin piece of metal or whatever, if you keep folding it back and fourth on its self, sooner or later it snaps.
About this time last year when Vic was shutting down I purchased a new belt just to have on hand. It came in a box folded over in half. I never took the belt out of the box. I put the box with belt and and a couple other bits on the shelf and never looked back. What is the best way to store the new extra belt? Hang it?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Going to shoot for 100,000

Yes hopefully my belt will last the 100,000 miles as some have indicated. I do not smoke the back tire, or rev the hell out of it and dump the clutch, so maybe it will last. Thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
90 Posts
About this time last year when Vic was shutting down I purchased a new belt just to have on hand. It came in a box folded over in half. I never took the belt out of the box. I put the box with belt and and a couple other bits on the shelf and never looked back. What is the best way to store the new extra belt? Hang it?
Personally i'd unfold it and lay it flat (on its side) in cool dry dark cupboard and forget about it (judging by how long these belts last, bound to forget where i stored it)

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Hang it up on a hook or something, all of ours just hang off pegs on our back wall.

·
13,038 Posts
Do not hang it if your not going to use it for some time. Hanging it on a hook thats where it will brake right at the hook point. Leave belt in big loop in a dark place is the best.
If you take the old belt off and keep it for a spare make sure you put it back on so you can read the name victory. Belts wear like radial tires in one direction.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Part of the problem is we typically don't know how POlaris, the dealer or the mail order place treated the belt prior to shipping it to the end user. If they meshed up on the packaging shipping it to you it's a good bet they traeted it poorly before you received it as well.

Especially now after so many dealers bailed on Victory support after Polaris killed the brand. There's no telling how most items were treated or stored prior to the the place you bought it from sent it to you.

Is there a manufacture date code on a belt like there is on tires?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good to know you guys are getting some high milage. I was thinking of a spare but may wait a bit longer. I also run my belt looser than the manual states. I think it is to tight once it gets hot with the factory specs.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I got my belt at the Southeast Victory rally. I forget which vendor, but there were several vendors with belts. I looked it over carefully before buying.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts