Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My belt was pretty loud - I could hear rubbing sound at low speeds - the belt was adjusted properly - so, I thought I would just live with it.....But, I picked up some Dupont tephlon chain saver at Walmart(sprays on wet, dries quick and leaves the dry tephlon). I have been spraying the front pully and the belt that is easy to get to along the muffler once a week for the last couple months. The belt is silent now.. I pulled in the clutch and coasted down a hill today and the belt sounded great - no more rubbing sound.
I would think this would also help prolong belt life by reducing friction.

Cheers,
Don

·
Registered
442 Posts
I like the idea! but does anyone know if there is a possible downside to using this product on a belt? I'm thinking possible delamination, etc?

I'm not trying to be a fear-monger here, but it's a questions worth asking...

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Teflon Spray Light-Coat is a multi-purpose Teflon ® powder lubricant that is non-staining and non-oily and will not collect dirt or dust. It is chemically inert, and is an excellent mold release agent. This fast drying dry film lubricant has a very low coefficient of friction which can solve many friction problems.

Applications: Light duty gears, bearings, rollers, sliding surfaces, as a mold release, textile and paper machinery where cleanliness is critical.
http://www.sealfast.com/d_teflon_spray.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
My belt was pretty loud - I could hear rubbing sound at low speeds - the belt was adjusted properly - so, I thought I would just live with it.....But, I picked up some Dupont tephlon chain saver at Walmart(sprays on wet, dries quick and leaves the dry tephlon). I have been spraying the front pully and the belt that is easy to get to along the muffler once a week for the last couple months. The belt is silent now.. I pulled in the clutch and coasted down a hill today and the belt sounded great - no more rubbing sound.
I would think this would also help prolong belt life by reducing friction.

Cheers,
Don
Here's a fix I found that I might try: I like using an old candle - I jack up the rear tire and put the bike in first. Carefully start the bike and ease out the clutch. Being very careful, I then hold the candle against the sides of the belt.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Here's a fix I found that I might try: I like using an old candle - I jack up the rear tire and put the bike in first. Carefully start the bike and ease out the clutch. Being very careful, I then hold the candle against the sides of the belt.
Be careful of spilt gasoline. You wouldn't want to burn you bike and garage.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Be careful of spilt gasoline. You wouldn't want to burn you bike and garage.
Pretty sure in this situation the candle isn't supposed to be lit.....

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, this has been discussed before - I tryed it and it is working great - this spray I am using is made for motorcycle chains and leaves behind more tephlon than the home use spray.
I will report back after the summer (I will be using all summer) - I have alot of trips planned. The biggest is to Alaska in July - can't wait!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pretty sure in this situation the candle isn't supposed to be lit.....
That'd be my guess...the idea is to rub some wax off the candle and onto both sides of the belt resulting in a lubricating cushion between the edges of the belt and the sprockets.

Also, Harley-Davidson used to sell a tube of "belt dressing", a little dab will do ya. I looked at HD's accessories on their website but did not find it listed, therefore it may be discontinued.

·
Registered
316 Posts
My belt strated to chirp half way through the summer riding season when accerating from a stop, at approximatly 30 kmh the chriping stops. I will try the teflon spray this year.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, here is a sure fire way to eliminate the noise, honest it works.

Adjust your belt tension and alignment correctly. No shake oil needed.

Just sayin...

·
Registered
108 Posts

Just sayin...
I agree. I was going to ask if the dry lube is just covering up misalignment. Mine started chirping, I now have 6200 miles, and I was going to bring it in for adjustment as dealer only charges $40.00. I tried the teflon and it stopped, but still may take it in since I didn't really fix anything, only covered up problem. Sure sounds nice and quiet though.

maurice

·
Registered
659 Posts
2011 Cross Country
7,500 miles

Belt has squealed since the first week. Dealer has adjusted it twice. I sanded the edge and re-adjusted twice. Each time it lasts maybe 100 miles then starts making noise again.

Had the same problem with a Kawasaki VN2000LT... tried everything under the sun. The only permanent fix was to replace the pulleys. $800 well spent.

Any of a number of belt dressings will work short term, but they are all just a bandaid.

Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to contact the dealer on this again... start the proceedings to get the pulleys and maybe the belt replaced. I will be damned if I have another bike with a howling belt.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Just sayin...
As beobob stated, it seems this doesn't always work as advertised. I think the tolerances on the belt/pulleys are a little too broad. My dealer has adjusted my tension and alignment twice, and my groaning sound always returns...

·
Registered
124 Posts
As beobob stated, it seems this doesn't always work as advertised. I think the tolerances on the belt/pulleys are a little too broad. My dealer has adjusted my tension and alignment twice, and my groaning sound always returns...
Sorry guys, If they are "properly" adjusted it will correct the problem. If your dealer adjusts them and it come back in 100 miles they are not doing it correctly.

I believe the only bikes to have bad pullies were the 2008 Visions and it was only a certin % of the early bikes. Going by memory on that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys, If they are "properly" adjusted it will correct the problem. If your dealer adjusts them and it come back in 100 miles they are not doing it correctly.

I believe the only bikes to have bad pullies were the 2008 Visions and it was only a certin % of the early bikes. Going by memory on that.

I know my belt is adjusted properly, yet, it still makes noise esp. when hot, on hot days. It is tracking properly and has the right tension....but, a little tephlon and it sounds perfect, ie. quiet.

If your belt is off center or to tight the tephlon will not work for long if at all.

·
Registered
659 Posts

I talked to the head tech at the dealer a few minutes ago. He said to try aligning the belt again. The trick is to get it to run just off the outside flange. I will try this one more time (third time’s the charm?) If I can’t get it right it will be his turn.

·
Registered
76 Posts
belt noise

one thing Ihave found that works great. Take a bar of the semi clear soap and do the same. rub it along outside edge of belt. This works great and lasts longer, even thru washing.:cool:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts