Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was trying to purchase a working Victory Blue Tooth Dongle at my local dealer... (With no luck)

I mentioned that while on this forum I was told that Victory was replacing rear pulleys on bikes that had the belt noise issue......

The parts guy says yes that is true and we keep the new rear pulley in stock. Just go over to service and tell them you have one of the bikes that has the issue...

So the service guy says we don't change the pulley until we try some things to stop the noise.

And if we can't stop the noise you have to come back and we have to see IF mother Vic will warranty the pulley change.

I say things like what.... Because I have tried tight loose - nothing seems to stop the noise....

He says we have had some luck buy running the belt off to the side of the pulley............

I say ,,,, you deliberately run the belt against the side of the pulley to see if the noise will go away even though you know there is an issue with the pulleys???? Not on my bike..

He says you will be back the noise will get to you..

So to save money there is a chance that driving the belt to one side or the other by running the back wheel out of alignment will stop the noise and that way they don't have to install the new pulley....
And this they say is from mother victory!!M!!

To me this says it may stop the noise and the owner can deal with the premature belt and pulley wear later down the road.

I just don't get this ....
They don't understand how far a happy bike owner will go to help Victory sell bikes. They would rather nickel and dime you...

These bikes are way over priced for what you get.
And way under represented.

If you understand happy owner and how powerful that is when it comes to sales then you wouldn't nickel and dime ......

They just don't understand that if they sold these bikes with the understanding that if there is a problem we will fix it fast the first time.

That would have there sales doubled by now. But all I hear is complaints. And not much wonder!!

Victory service SUCKS
WHAT DID FASTFORD say 9 days to replace the IAC Valve !!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sadly for most I think it comes down to the dealer more than it does Victory. I mentioned to my dealer that the chirping from my belt which originally was very minimal had gotten to the point it was driving me nuts.

Service manager advised they had do do an "Ask Victory" dialogue with them to get it addressed. Since my bike has over 30,000 miles on it Victory came back with that it seemed odd that after this many miles it would become an issue and it was likely related to the bike being lowered or poor alignment. Dealer went back to them with the fact the bike is bone stock and belt is in alignment/tension. By the end of the day the dealer called to advise it took some back and forth but my new pulleys and belt were on the way. So far I've had a few more warranty issues on this bike than I would have liked to see but at this point I'm impressed with my dealer that each issue has been addressed quickly and thoroughly.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I started using parrafin wax on mine and so far so good. After my ride home from work(40 miles) i wiped the sides of the belt with the wax block and it seems to help, its been silent for a few weeks now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sadly for most I think it comes down to the dealer more than it does Victory. I mentioned to my dealer that the chirping from my belt which originally was very minimal had gotten to the point it was driving me nuts.

Service manager advised they had do do an "Ask Victory" dialogue with them to get it addressed. Since my bike has over 30,000 miles on it Victory came back with that it seemed odd that after this many miles it would become an issue and it was likely related to the bike being lowered or poor alignment. Dealer went back to them with the fact the bike is bone stock and belt is in alignment/tension. By the end of the day the dealer called to advise it took some back and forth but my new pulleys and belt were on the way. So far I've had a few more warranty issues on this bike than I would have liked to see but at this point I'm impressed with my dealer that each issue has been addressed quickly and thoroughly.
Thats good to hear. Your lucky your dealer stepped up for you.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started using parrafin wax on mine and so far so good. After my ride home from work(40 miles) i wiped the sides of the belt with the wax block and it seems to help, its been silent for a few weeks now.

I been using chain lub. I know it will kill the belt but cant handle the noise.

I will try the parrafin. That sounds like a really good idea.
Thanks for this..

·
13,254 Posts
First I drought your dealer has a pulley in stock or even a belt. Most dealers don't even carry some of the basics in stock like a starter solenoid or even a starter relay not even most gaskets.
I can see a service department try to Aline the belt first. Yes you adjust the belt to the inside of the pulley and then try to adjust it so it just comes off edge to center and lock it down.
You have to try to adjust the belt before you can say the pulley is bad.
You have all read when there is a warranty of a part they have to call Vic to get the OK. So why is your dealer special spending money on a pulley and not use it for month or two. A pulley sells for $290 bucks and a dealer is going to spend money on that and wait for some one to buy it. Not

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First I drought your dealer has a pulley in stock or even a belt. Most dealers don't even carry some of the basics in stock like a starter solenoid or even a starter relay not even most gaskets.
I can see a service department try to Aline the belt first. Yes you adjust the belt to the inside of the pulley and then try to adjust it so it just comes off edge to center and lock it down.
You have to try to adjust the belt before you can say the pulley is bad.
You have all read when there is a warranty of a part they have to call Vic to get the OK. So why is your dealer special spending money on a pulley and not use it for month or two. A pulley sells for $290 bucks and a dealer is going to spend money on that and wait for some one to buy it. Not
They got one in stock. I know the parts guy. He even pulled it and showed me. My dealer has a very cool building mucho bucks where spent on the dealership. But they do sell trucks and trailers too..

The idea as I stated before is that they will NOT adjust the belt away from the edge. But will drive it to one side and see if trying to climb over the edge stops the noise. This is what they were told to do.... Not good...But may get you out of there hair ... for a while...

The dealer here has a lot of parts in stock. It is very professional looking. Most all accessories and lots of Swag.

I have a 300.00 Victory Jacket with TWO liners.... (Not Leather)

http://www.route1ms.com/Default.asp

·
Registered
931 Posts
My dealer and polaris ruined a fine riding bike experience for me. I'm trading this in as soon as possible and getting to more customer friendly maker

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
My dealer and polaris ruined a fine riding bike experience for me. I'm trading this in as soon as possible and getting to more customer friendly maker
Bummer... What happened? As far as switching, which manufacturer do you have in mind?

victory-motorcycles-dealers-ranked-highest-in-customer-satisfaction-34906_1.jpg

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
OK...here's where common sense reigns supreme. My bike had a cruise control issue when I bought it. It wouldn't engage. Took it back, the mechanic figured it out quickly and fixed it. At the same time he said my belt was too loose and he would adjust it for me. So far, so good. I had to bring it back for the adjustment because he was busy. So I drove almost 50 miles back to get it adjusted another day. When I left, it was screaming loud. Went back and said it wasn't adjusted correctly. He said it was and would just take time to break in. WRONG! I ended up adjusting it myself and now it works perfectly. Just loosened it up a bit. The mechanic said the belt should track slightly to the inside of the pulley. He said there is no outer lip on the front pulley, so you want it to track slightly inside. After doing some work on my bike I can vouch for that. If you are doing the adjustment yourself....a little trick is to make sue you put pressure on the rear wheel forward while tightening up the nut. Check the tracking by spinning backward once you snug it. Of course, you have to do this with the rear wheel jacked. I have my belt tension with slightly more deflection (play) than recommended....as measured when cold. I believe up to 1 1/4" is recommended....mine is a tad more.....but it works perfectly now and no noise...no added lubricants like paraffin, soap or chain lube. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
The belt will kinda move around once adjusted also, mine will anyway, but i think my squeeking problem is mostly from the gravel roads i live on. The front pulley does not have a lip but if you look there is plenty of room so you should never be that far off to worry. And like you as i tighten the axle nut i make sure to keep the axle pushed forward and i tighten from the bottom so it also pushes forward.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK...here's where common sense reigns supreme. My bike had a cruise control issue when I bought it. It wouldn't engage. Took it back, the mechanic figured it out quickly and fixed it. At the same time he said my belt was too loose and he would adjust it for me. So far, so good. I had to bring it back for the adjustment because he was busy. So I drove almost 50 miles back to get it adjusted another day. When I left, it was screaming loud. Went back and said it wasn't adjusted correctly. He said it was and would just take time to break in. WRONG! I ended up adjusting it myself and now it works perfectly. Just loosened it up a bit. The mechanic said the belt should track slightly to the inside of the pulley. He said there is no outer lip on the front pulley, so you want it to track slightly inside. After doing some work on my bike I can vouch for that. If you are doing the adjustment yourself....a little trick is to make sue you put pressure on the rear wheel forward while tightening up the nut. Check the tracking by spinning backward once you snug it. Of course, you have to do this with the rear wheel jacked. I have my belt tension with slightly more deflection (play) than recommended....as measured when cold. I believe up to 1 1/4" is recommended....mine is a tad more.....but it works perfectly now and no noise...no added lubricants like paraffin, soap or chain lube. Good luck.
I spent a lot of time adjusting the belt. It wonders from side to side. But every time I check, it is not touching the pulley edge. This took a lot of minor adjustments. When the bike is cold there is a lot of belt play it is very loose. After a short ride the belt has almost no play. Seems aluminium expands a bunch as things worm up. This is why you never want the belt to tight. Always check it when hot after a ride. And I know that is not what the book says.

The strange thing is the belt makes the same sound when it is cold and loose as when it is hot and almost snug. So it's not a tension issue.

The dealer also told me that most of these belt chirping complaints took 3000 miles before customers started to complain... That's strange. And mine took some time to start chirping too.

Something else I noticed is that it will chirp weather easy on the throttle or hard, fast or slow. But never when decelerating... Why?

I was thinking on running the belt backwards.....

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Something else I noticed is that it will chirp weather easy on the throttle or hard, fast or slow. But never when decelerating... Why?

I was thinking on running the belt backwards.....
So I am at a loss here. Does the belt have direction arrows like some tires do or are you talking about reversing the belt just to see if it helps? I have no idea if that would help but, in my mind, anything would be worth trying.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I am at a loss here. Does the belt have direction arrows like some tires do or are you talking about reversing the belt just to see if it helps? I have no idea if that would help but, in my mind, anything would be worth trying.
I think I read where it's says there is a direction to the belt based on the writing on the belt. Victory is printed on the belt.
But I might have read that about CVTs

Mainly I was thinking it would be worth a try. Not to difficult to do. Unless someone here has a good reason not to try it..

I been using chain lube and I know it will eventually ruin the belt.
I will try parrafin wax. That has to be better for the belt than chain lube.

My son is in his 30s . He said I knew it was you coming down the road. I could hear the belt over the loud pipes!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is it just me? Or does it seem like there is a lot more whining and complaining on the site than there used to be. My belt has made a noise a time or two after changing tires, but adjusting them isn't rocket science. Get the tension close, and put the bike in gear with the tire elevated and slowly adjust to center the belt. It isn't the way it says to do in the book, but that is probable the legal department worrying some brain dead owner will get his hand, hair shirt or whatever in the belt and sue Polaris because of his stupidity. It takes about 10 minutes to do about the same amount of time as to complain about Polaris or their dealer on the forum. The difference is one doesn't do anything to fix the problem and the other will repair it or you'll know something else is causing the problem. At that time the dealer should replace the part that is causing the noise. cheers

·
Registered
931 Posts
After a tire change I took my scoot to the dealer just to double check the belt. Mine is riding on the outside of the pulley, it was inside prior to the change. Dealer said it was fine. Totally opposite what manual said. I still don't trust them anymore lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
13,254 Posts
Never take belt off and revers it never.

If you want to check your alignment. Go down the road around sixty take hands off bars. If it slowly steers to the right then its good.
If it goes Quick left or Quick right its not aliened correct.

·
Registered
407 Posts
From the manual - works for me

Drive Belt Cleaning
Cleaning the drive belt will maximize belt and sprocket life and minimize drive line noise.
Clean the belt at every tire change. Clean the belt more often if riding in dirty, dusty or high
debris environments.
1. Mix a few drops of mild dish soap with a cup of warm water.
2. Use a soft nylon brush to clean the belt and sprocket teeth with the soapy water. Clean
well in corner areas where road debris and belt dust can collect.
3. Rinse the belt with clear water, then dry thoroughly.
Tip: Do not inspect or adjust drive belt tension when the belt is wet. Improper adjustment will result.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts