Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
05 Vegas
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got done doing a bunch of maintenance (new fork seal, tires, and wheel bearings) on my 05 Vegas. When I took it for a ride I noticed a new vibration that did not seem correct. Finally me and a buddy found that it is the belt rubbing the frame.

I have tried several things to correct it, but no matter what I do or how I adjust the rear tire the belt rubs the frame of the bike. Last night I took the cover off the front pulley, and it looks like the belt is riding about a 0.25" toward the engine (from where it "normally" runs). With everything I tried last night nothing would make it go back out. I was wondering if anyone had had this issue and had come up with a solution?

Thanks,
Masock

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently got done doing a bunch of maintenance (new fork seal, tires, and wheel bearings) on my 05 Vegas. When I took it for a ride I noticed a new vibration that did not seem correct. Finally me and a buddy found that it is the belt rubbing the frame.

I have tried several things to correct it, but no matter what I do or how I adjust the rear tire the belt rubs the frame of the bike. Last night I took the cover off the front pulley, and it looks like the belt is riding about a 0.25" toward the engine (from where it "normally" runs). With everything I tried last night nothing would make it go back out. I was wondering if anyone had had this issue and had come up with a solution?

Thanks,
Masock
M,
Had the same thing happen on my '05. Take a look at your rear pulley, if the "teeth" are flat you need a new pulley. Same goes for the front drive pulley. I had to replace both on mine!!!!!!! Trust me, get new pulleys on now while parts are available!!!!!

·
Registered
05 Vegas
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I will have to check it out tonight, but I do not recall the teeth looking flat.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Did you do the belt alignment procedure?

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Might be one of the spacers missing or out of place too.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Depot Picker is very likely correct. If the belt didn’t rub the frame before you changed tires but it does now, then something wasn’t reassembled correctly. If there’s a short and a wide spaced, are they on the correct side?

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
05 Vegas
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have checked the spacers and they are there, and on the correct sides. I have done the alignment procedure as listed in the service manual I have. I have even tried adjusting it to the extremes either way to see if I could get it off the frame, but it has not come off the frame. It also does not seem to change how it rides on the drive pulley.

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Agreed with mentioned before, most time it's just so simply, but overlooked, it can be a few minor things

When your rear wheel is in the air, is your rear wheel spinning freely by hand and when you push your rear brake are the brake pads exactly center on the brake rotor ?

Please follow that shop manual for alignment before purchasing new pulley's there expensive

Post pictures of were it is rubbing please

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
You changed the wheel bearings too?

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
By the pictures the belt is out of alignment and the back sprocket looks damaged. Many people run the belts to tight and wear out the wheel bearings. High presser washing can also get water into the bearings. You need to check bearing and wheel spacers.

·
Registered
05 Vegas
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
depot picker,

Yes I changed the wheel bearings too. I got the bike used (bike had sat for a couple years) and have rode it a couple years (first bike) and it is close to 30K so, while the wheel was off I changed the bearings. I rechecked the install on them last night and it seems good.

NAB,

How does the sprocket look damaged? I do not pressure wash the bike, and the bearings are new. I have checked and rechecked the wheel spacers and bearings and do not see an issue there. I had to replace the belt when I got it (due to an embedded rock... the rock did not damage the sprockets) and I know it has not been too tight while I have had the bike, but It had around 26k when I got it though.

I rechecked everything last night and redid alignment (cause the tire was off checking things). I looked at he swing arm some and thought I noticed a slight bend just in front of the axle. I did not have a straight edge so I could not properly check it. I will be checking that this evening.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Are you certain they are the equivalent of the bearings you took out?

·
Registered
05 Vegas
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Depot,

Yes I am.

So if you guys could checkout these pictures and let me know if you think the swing arm is bent or not, I would appreciate it. The metal peice I am holding is a straigh edge that is supposed to be straight within a 0.001".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
Looked at all the pictures, something is off ... Would it be possible to bring it to a real victory guru, where you live ? And share all your information about the straight edge etc ?

I forgotten how the belt goes on, but i think it is correct "victory" but it will be stated in the manual the printed victory is to left or right written on the belt ...

·
Registered
05 Vegas
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am in Northern Indiana. The straight edge was just for reference (but it is a straight edge from my workplace that was purchased about 2 years ago and mostly sits in a box, was advertised as being straight to .001 inch across the entire length). I am under the impression that the swing arm should be pretty straight in that area but did not know if it was supposed to be like that for some reason.

On the belt, it has been about 2 years since I put it on, and remember checking up about it, not saying I am right though.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
I never had a Vegas. I don't know what it should look like.

·
Premium Member
4,407 Posts
The swing arm looks bent, but I'm not sure if its not designed that way. It's been years since I had a Vegas. Put that picture in the Vegas forums and see if some one can give some insight. To bad Kevinx isn't still around.

·
Premium Member
6,663 Posts
The swing arm looks bent, but I'm not sure if its not designed that way. It's been years since I had a Vegas. Put that picture in the Vegas forums and see if some one can give some insight. To bad Kevinx isn't still around.
Who of a Vic shops is in Indiana where the OP lives

1 - 20 of 49 Posts