Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I asked someone on Ebay to send me a picture with a straight edge on a used one he was selling. Still no word from them, but it is still early. I am going to call a Polaris dealer when they open and see if I can send them the picture to get there two cents.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Second hand swing arm shouldn't be that costly ..

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mitime2Rollvegas8

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
The belt wasn’t rubbing before it was worked on for new tires and it is rubbing now. The swingarm was either damaged due to the rear wheel R&R or it’s something else. My bet is on the something else.

Trailer the bike to Randy’s Cycle in Marengo, IL. They’re one of the best Victory shops, anywhere.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
The belt wasn’t rubbing before it was worked on for new tires and it is rubbing now. The swingarm was either damaged due to the rear wheel R&R or it’s something else. My bet is on the something else.

Trailer the bike to Randy’s Cycle in Marengo, IL. They’re one of the best Victory shops, anywhere.
Hope you get it fixed. If the place your taking the scooter says it was damaged. I hope you can get the first place to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
The tires and the wheel bearings were replaced right? Is it possible to insert the axle from the wrong side even with the spacers on the correct sides? Could that happen? Were the swingarm bearings replaced and/or adjusted when the rear wheel was off? The belt on my CCT should read Victory correctly when looking at it from the right (brake) side of the bike.

It appears that somehow the rear wheel was moved to the left (clutch) side after it was installed enough to allow the belt rub on the frame. But, if the wheel migrated to the left, the brake rotor shouldn't still be riding in the center of the rear brake caliper.

Was the belt also replaced? Is there a wider belt and a regular width belt available for these bikes?

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Being the guy doing the work, I am paying for it no matter what...

Mark,

I have replaced the oil, tires, wheel bearings, fork seals, and footpegs (got a set to bring them back cause I am short) this year. I got the bike 2 years ago (it had 25k on it), When I got it I had to replace the belt (because it had a rock embedded in it), and to my memory there was only one belt for the Vegas that year. The belt did not have markings indicating a certain direction and I am positive I checked the manual and it had no mention of it. Being my first bike and getting the endorsement (last year) I have only put about 3k on it. I was planning on riding a lot this year but this is causing me to not. I have not messed with the swing arm other than checking the torque on the through bolt.

It would be possible to install the axle from the wrong side, but it is not. My inner engineer made me be careful about ensuring to put things back correctly. I have been using service manual PN 9919631 for this bike.

The brake disc seems to be riding in the pads/caliper correctly. I had a guy selling a swing arm send me a picture of it with a straight edge like the picture I took. His looks straighter on the brake side. I am waiting on someone else to get back with me. If they do it and there part looks good, it is only $60 to try a swing arm, so I will probably just do it.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
We are all following your updates buddy, keep on posting my friend

Reactions: Chattanooga Mark

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I ordered a new swing arm over the weekend, and it isn't supposed to be here until later this week. For right now I am waiting.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Check if you have to change the needle bearing in the rear swingarm

·
Registered
25 Posts
Masock,
Your front sprocket is showing the signs of flat topping.
Did you look at the rear sprocket teeth (are they still round or flat topped)???? Can't see no pic with belt off??
I will take a pic of my bad rear one to show you.
I will bet you it is the sprockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (both me and a Vic mechanic spent hours on mine trying everything (alignments, belts, etc.)!!! and finally he said get new sprockets. Put them on, did alignment and BAM, no issue.
I've got ~64K on my Vegas and ~55K on my J-pot. I have seen a thing or two and spent hrs and $$$ on them. Plus having a Vic mechanic at my beckon call is nice too!!!!!

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
2wheeldrive,

The sprockets don't look bad to me, but if the swing arm thing doesn't work that will be my next thing I try.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
If that swing arm was bent like that, I think you would not be able to fit the wheel and spacers and adjusters.

·
Premium Member
6,697 Posts
Never seen a rear pulley with that kind of wear ... Thanks for posting that picture

·
Registered
25 Posts
BP,
Living on a dirt road doesn't help. I am a maintenanceaholic and try to keep my bikes in tiptop shape. I learned my lesson on belt maintenance!!!!!
My Vegas is still a bad ass ripper going on 17 yrs old!!!! (I'll put it up against "any" comp bike that has no mods)

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Well, I got the new swing arm yesterday. It is either bent the same way or that is how it is intended (the latter is what I am going with). Plus it is from an 03 so I would need some other parts to attach it. All the pivot stuff seems OK on my old one. I left it apart and I am going to have a buddy help me put it back together to see if he sees something I don't. If it still rubs after that, pulleys it is!

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
On a side question, Do any of you know what size tube the frame is on my bike? Specifically the part that goes back for the stock exhaust? It is at my buddy's 30 miles away otherwise I would measure it myself and I am at work.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
You know the left and right spacers are different right?

·
Registered
05 Vegas
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Might be one of the spacers missing or out of place too.
Depot Picker is very likely correct. If the belt didn’t rub the frame before you changed tires but it does now, then something wasn’t reassembled correctly. If there’s a short and a wide spaced, are they on the correct side?
I have checked the spacers and they are there, and on the correct sides. I have done the alignment procedure as listed in the service manual I have. I have even tried adjusting it to the extremes either way to see if I could get it off the frame, but it has not come off the frame. It also does not seem to change how it rides on the drive pulley.
Yep. I was/ am very careful to put them back in when I have taken the tire off (even going so far as to make sure they go in the same direction as they came out (as far as which end goes toward the wheel, and which end goes toward the swing arm).

Plus thinking through it, I don't believe it could be installed the wrong way without having the brake bracket not in the slot, or having the rotor outside the caliper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep. I was/ am very careful to put them back in when I have taken the tire off (even going so far as to make sure they go in the same direction as they came out (as far as which end goes toward the wheel, and which end goes toward the swing arm).

Plus thinking through it, I don't believe it could be installed the wrong way without having the brake bracket not in the slot, or having the rotor outside the caliper.
Speaking of rotor,, I see significant damage on that rotor. I’m surprised nobody noticed that, weird cause it looks like just in one spot and not all the way around. But that could be how far off balance, alignment it is

im new to this, don’t think I did that last post right, it was a quote by mistake, don’t know if it matters. But I had commented on your rotor. I thought I saw pretty significant damage on it. Something has been scraping but it doesn’t go all the way around the rotor, it’s just in one spot. Hope this helps

21 - 40 of 63 Posts