Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12,318 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Could be a few things as many people have brought up. So far though it's just guesses. There's been no pattern or proper troubleshooting done. How many of those solutions only happen occasionally? A torque compensator that's fine most of the time? Could be OP only boots it at certain times in a specific gear so that's the only time it happens? Could be. Possibly a couple of things but I'd sure start with the easy stuff first before I started anything major. I'd especially be trying to duplicate the problem with some level of consistency. Many don't do it that way but I've a technical background and that's just the way I preferred to do things. Try and determine what the problem was or even a trend before getting into the details of a repair. Yes, sometime that doesn't work and you do need to systematically get into it but that doesn't happen very often. Some of the more experienced here who have already done this may offer some more direct instructions.

I'll throw another wild assed guess in here that would give the same slip feeling. Weak clutch springs combined with Amsoil.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Well, since your 2010 compensator should be upgraded anyway, what do you have to lose by trying the easy thing first?

Because it has been a while since I gave this any thought and because KevinX, who knows this stuff like the back of his hand doesn't frequent this forum like he used to; I double checked myself and it looks like I was wrong with the years they upgraded. They used the same compensator from 03 to 12 then they went with the upgraded compensator. You can see the difference in these two pics taken from an 08 Vegas and from a 13 Vegas. Then in the third picture of a 12 XC they add the picture of early build and late build. So it was in 2012 they switched it on the X bikes and probably 13 when they all went that way. At least that's the way I understand it.
Yeah BBob, I see a lot more big washers and one extra small washer in the picture,
Which is the compensator the outer big things or the inner one, inner one looks to have wavy teeth that I presume mesh with the idler gear.
Maybe we can attract @kevinx into this by putting @kevinx in this post....
So you're suggesting bbob that the later torque compensator is a valuable upgrade to any early Victory, particularly my 2010 Vegas?
I also gather kevinx has some special secret mod for the part as well?
If so then I'd like one sent out to me please.
Sounds like it can't hurt and may enhance my Vegas.
Wether it's got gear problems or not....

EDIT...I see my Canadian friend has posted while I've been concocting this post.
First to the Original Poster, this isn't a thread hijack, we "seem" to have similar symptoms, though mines had an impact sufficient to snap the shifter ratchet shaft.
To answer 53Canuck, mine is consistent at 2800 in second and 3800 too if I hold second.
It happens even when medium or light on the throttle.
In my case it's definitely not clutch slip and my oil is Premium quality motorcycle specific oil.
To the O.P. the more detail, specifics, we have to work on the better able the knowledgeable here will be to guess your problem and hopefully pinpoint it.
(I'll now return you to your regular channel)

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've rebuilt many motorcycle engines but nothing as big as a Vic motor. I'm very familiar with the Internal trans part and have seen bikes jump out of gear because of worn dogs on the gears. But usually they won't stay in gear by simple backing off the throttle a little. I have had a few missed 2nd gear shifts on the dragstrip and hopefully I didn't damage something. Right now the bike is rideable and is not a problem unless I hit it hard.
I've demo rode just about every Vic model over the years and have noticed some differences in the smoothness of the shifting on some of these bikes. It doesn't seem to matter what model it is but more like individual variances in the transmissions. Vics all have clunky transmissions but some worse than others and unfortunately my bike is one of the worst I've ridden (always been like that since new)
One of these nights maybe Ill pop the cover off and have a look or maybe Ill stop by my dealer and have a look at a new Hammer S

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Take it from the old guy who likes to try the cheap and easy things first. Try another oil - what can it hurt? So it won't cost an arm and a leg, do it with Rotella T-6; many here use it including this old skinflint. Do that and report back.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you are going to try a different oil might I suggest you make it a completely different oil from the full synthetic because you really wont be changing much simply going with another brand. In this case I'd go with the semi-synthetic Vic oil recommended by the manufacturer. Just because "Back to the basics". That being said, if the plates are glazed neither may be able to overcome any damage done but at least the symptoms should change a bit.

Motorbikerx, do you just feel the change or can you hear it too? Are you comfortable changing the fuel settings and putting them back where they are?

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
@53canuck, feel in definitely but not hearing anything.
It's as if I fan the clutch for a split second and then the bike lurches forward.
It's coming apart soon to look inside the gearbox.
Talked to the dyno man and he says it's not the fuelling program
It's had the current tune on the PCV since way before the dog hit me.
I'm resigned to the pull-down and case split, it's just that this thread seems to have very similar symptoms.
Now if we didn't live on opposite sides of the planet we could compare

·
13,235 Posts
Good vid VJ. Looks like the stator makes it tricky to get the primary cover off when doing it for the first time. Like anything; once done once learned.
yes you'll have a good tug of war getting the primary lose from the stator.

am guessing either the stator or clutch hub have to come off to pull the compensator sprocket. None of the compensator parts are cheap a used one might not be that bad

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Ordered this

Victory Pro Shift Kit

"Virtually eliminate false neutrals in the upper gears caused by "lazy" shifting.
Miss fewer shifts in the lower gears, esp the 1-2 shift."

And going to the dealer this week to see about the updated Torque Compensator parts (can't wait to see what they cost). Hopefully this will solve my problems.
I'm also going to do the oil washer trick on the shift shaft as I definitely have excessive end play on the shift shaft. I really don't think it's the clutch because clutch slippage usually shows up in higher gears and has a different feel (usually a more gradual rpm change)
If it's possible for the Torque Compensator to slip, what I'm experiencing is exactly what I think it would feel like. The only thing that stumps me is why it would only do it in 2nd gear
I'll update after I get some new parts installed
Thanks for the suggestions

·
13,235 Posts
better order a primary gasket dought dealer has one in stock

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
I'll be keen to see how yours works out Joey,
Also gonna see what a new compensator costs here, and through Paulie
Honda East Toledo.
Or @kevinx compensator if he's around.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Well, since your 2010 compensator should be upgraded anyway, what do you have to lose by trying the easy thing first?

Because it has been a while since I gave this any thought and because KevinX, who knows this stuff like the back of his hand doesn't frequent this forum like he used to; I double checked myself and it looks like I was wrong with the years they upgraded. They used the same compensator from 03 to 12 then they went with the upgraded compensator. You can see the difference in these two pics taken from an 08 Vegas and from a 13 Vegas. Then in the third picture of a 12 XC they add the picture of early build and late build. So it was in 2012 they switched it on the X bikes and probably 13 when they all went that way. At least that's the way I understand it.
Just rang Paulie at Honda East Toledo re the torque compensator,
every seperate part of the compensator on that exploded view is a seperate Victory part, so exactly what ,and what numbers in that exploded view, would I need to order to upgrade my compensator?

also rand Kevinx at Southern Motorworx, but it keeps going to messagebank, its 1am here in Australia so I'm gonna hit the sack.
Goodnight.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
Just rang Paulie at Honda East Toledo re the torque compensator,
every seperate part of the compensator on that exploded view is a seperate Victory part, so exactly what ,and what numbers in that exploded view, would I need to order to upgrade my compensator?
Good question. I would write KevinX to be sure. I'd just be guessing. He may say the symptoms indicate weak wave springs so he might suggest replacing the stock and adding the extra springs in the upgrade. Not sure about the other hard parts.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Motorworx/1423189224611858?ref=hl

Please post your results here so we will all know going forward.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Good question. I would write KevinX to be sure. I'd just be guessing. He may say the symptoms indicate weak wave springs so he might suggest replacing the stock and adding the extra springs in the upgrade. Not sure about the other hard parts.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Motorworx/1423189224611858?ref=hl

Please post your results here so we will all know going forward.

@BBob, mate I'm not a facebooker so can't ask him on that site.
been trying to ring his shop but it just keeps going to messagebank.
Any chance you could shoot him a question on his facebook page.
And yeah mate I'll be sure to let you know what transpires, hopefully some pix of the insides of my transmission as soon as the boys get it all torn down.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I'll be keen to see how yours works out Joey,
Also gonna see what a new compensator costs here, and through Paulie
Honda East Toledo.
Or @kevinx compensator if he's around.
Sorry I missed your calls. Strange as it may sound first time you called. I was speaking to a guy in Russia, and the second time Canada.....Go Figure

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Hate to be the guy that says this. However when I hear the symptom of a bike jumping in and out of gear in a specific gear[typically 2nd]. I'm thinking that either the support roller under the 2nd gear idler is shot, or that the the retainer clip is slipping on the main shaft.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Hate to be the guy that says this. However when I hear the symptom of a bike jumping in and out of gear in a specific gear[typically 2nd]. I'm thinking that either the support roller under the 2nd gear idler is shot, or that the the retainer clip is slipping on the main shaft.
Thanks kevinx, I've just logged on here at 930am in OZ
I've already emailed you as well this morning, before reading your reply on this thread, I'll be able to verify your thoughts one way or the other once my bikes pulled down and cases split.
It's probably not what the OP wants to hear either.
I'll ring the shop that's pulling mine down and see how soon they can get my bike in and stripped down.
As an aside @kevinx, do you think it worthwhile I upgrade the Torque Compensator anyway, even if it's not the cause of my problem?
If so I'd like a price on the parts I need to upgrade mine.
Thanks mate.

·
Premium Member
13,699 Posts
As an aside @kevinx, do you think it worthwhile I upgrade the Torque Compensator anyway, even if it's not the cause of my problem?
If so I'd like a price on the parts I need to upgrade mine.
Thanks mate.
I'd really like to hear your opinion on this too Kevin!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts