Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what brand is a good one? reasonably priced? where to buy?
thank you!--irv

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I got this one not long after buying my bike last year. Works fine for me.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-Tension-Gauge-08-0350/dp/B000GU33LC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1366733334&sr=8-3&keywords=belt+tension+gauge[/ame]
I also made things easier by taping a tape measure to a small box to keep it upright and straight while I took the measurements at different locations when turning the rear wheel. I was also able to fine tune the belt so that it ran pretty much in the middle of the rear sprocket. One thing I also found out that once you get it set where you like it is that when you tighten the rear axle nut to specs that it throws off your settings slightly. I got the belt to run just off the left side to the point that when I tightened the axle bolt it moved the belt back to the right a little bit.

·
13,247 Posts
What I have used in the past is a Lufkin tape measure that locks tape when out. You know what you have around the house for measuring stuff.
Pull out 15 to 18 inches sand it up and with finger push up on belt.
You can see a 1/4 or a 1/2 inch. Look where the belt sits and push up now you know how much play there is.
Any bearing belt store sells them there all the same even ebay.
I just hate paying for over priced tools

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I bought a motion pro off of ebay look around for a good deal.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is an old thread, I know.. But thought I would add to it..

Just checked my belt tension as it was flapping all over the place from the dealership (who really did - for sure - check the belt tension :mad: )

And it was off (as I suspected) .. WAY off.

I weigh stuff for a living so I have a good feel for weight - and my belt tension gauge felt really stiff at 10lbs.. So I checked it for accuracy on several lab scales at work and sure enough 12.675-blah-lbs at the 10lb mark..

Bastads! :mad:

So.. Just a heads up... No matter what gauge you buy and from where.. You Might want to check it for accuracy.. thumb up

I just marked a new 10lb line on my gauge - as long as the spring is good and plunger doesn't bind, then I should get consistent readings and that new mark shouldn't move at all.. :D

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Funny, I was just setting my belt tension last night, for the Cross Country the spec is 1 1/4" of deflection under 10 lbs of pressure. After 4000 miles mine was at 1 1/2" of deflection. Like an earlier post getting the belt to track in the center of the sprocket was a matter of pushing the belt too far to the right and once the axle was tightened the belt moves to the center of the sprocket, took a bit but you can get it.

My frustration was how to get the torque wrench on the axle nut, the exhaust just doesn't give you enough room for a socket and wrench, I had to use the box wrench and guessed at the torque, about one grunt.

I was surprised at how much dirt was packed onto the sprocket already. I used a thin piece of hardwood to scrape the sprocket teeth clean.

·
Registered
445 Posts
My adjustment method.

When cold loosen the belt with the bike on the side stand until you can twist the belt 90 degrees. So from horizontal to vertical.

Make sure belt isn't hard up against the right edge of the pulley and tighten your axle.

When hot you should have about 3/8" pliable movement up from the resting belt position.

Not by the book specs but I find it better.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is kind of on topic. I ride a 04 T.C and lost two belts 20,000 miles and 40,000miles. After the second one I'm running my belt as loose as I can get away with, not loose enough to skip a tooth but way looser then the specs. I'm at 57,000 miles right now and hopping for the best. What ever you do don't over tension your belts.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks Borrec, looks just like what the doctor ordered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts