Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that even though my belt tension is correct when I check it according to the manual, it gets tighter than a bulls ass with a fly on it once I ride it for a while...especially in the hot weather. I was considering loosening it up just a tad while it's hot. Anyrisk you guys can see to me doing this? Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If you have it adjusted properly when cold, then you should not modify this adjustment because it gets tight when hot. The highly capable engineers who designed the bike and created the belt tension specification have already taken this heating/tightening into account in the specified tension.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you have a scale, check that your belt tension gauge is accurate.. Mine wasn't, it was off by 3lbs..

·
Registered
784 Posts
That is why it starts out loose. It should be pretty tight when hot. Not sure about your description, but don't fool with a warm belt.

·
Premium Member
8,946 Posts
That is why it starts out loose. It should be pretty tight when hot. Not sure about your description, but don't fool with a warm belt.
yeah loose when cold and tight when hot is correct.
mine even chirps a little on the first couple of leaves from the lights when it's cold so I know for sure its not too tight.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Checking your belt with one of these?
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/OTC-4748-Belt-Tension-Gauge/dp/B009S4SYP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432571431&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+belt+tension+gauge[/ame]

·
13,177 Posts
Reading the owner's book you supposed to put valve stem at 6 o'clock and check. Then rotate valve stem to 9 o'clock and check. then 12 and 3 making notes along the way
So you do not check the belt in just one place

·
Registered
347 Posts
Reading the owner's book you supposed to put valve stem at 6 o'clock and check. Then rotate valve stem to 9 o'clock and check. then 12 and 3 making notes along the way
So you do not check the belt in just one place
You will get different deflection rates at different wheel positions, too..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Checking your belt with one of these?
Amazon Amazon
That's what I use! My concern is how freeking tight it gets when it's hot! You can hear it whine/howl/groan at low speeds. Not too loud, but you can definitely hear it

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
If the alignment is off, the belt will pull to the side and get tight as Dick's hatband as you ride. Look and see if the belt is tracking center of the front pulley.

If you take your hands off the bars at speed (set cruise) the bike should go straight. If it pulls hard the rear wheel isn't straight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts