Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
When you can turn the belt 90 degrees with only 2 thumb and finger it should be good,

Sent from my CPH1937 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FLVicRider and NAB

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Not sure what you mean that's seems like alot loose ?
When the belt warms up then it tighten, the shop manual specks at way to tight ....

Reactions: Catnaper

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
BP6666VR's method is a good method. I have been using it for years, it's the easiest way to check it. Cold dry belt in neutral.

·
Registered
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour, Indianapolis
1,892 Posts
Even when using the gauge I'd shoot for loose end of spec but I've already replaced rear wheel bearings on my bike.

Belt was far too tight when I bought the bike and I suspect that for the bearing problem.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
When it gets hot, check it;: it's hard to believe how tight it gets . Mine seems way too loose when cold but when hot it's plenty tight.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Awesome video as always, Paul. Thanks. My only comment is that I doubt the belt shrinks when it is hot. Since the vast majority of materials in the world expand as they get hot, I suspect the change in tension when hot is due to the expansion of the two pulleys on which the belt rides and not the shrinkage of the belt.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Kevlar is one of the few exceptions to the rule.
It has a slightly negative coefficient of thermal expansion as unusual as that is. So belts do shrink slightly as they come up to running temperature. Everything else expands as Vin mentioned so the belts get a lot tighter as things warm up.

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
Pulleys expand with heat,
I rotate my belt to find the loosest spot, the way we used to do with chains( remember them?)
Mark loosest spot with a dab of white paint for future reference.
Then with the loosest spot midway between pulleys , I then poke the belt upwards with my finger.
It'll move up about an inch.
To double check when the bikes hot give it the same poke upwards and the belt won't move much at all.
It'll have a little movement , not much and not tight right.
That's as simple as I can explain it.
Once they're set, that's it, ...no need to mess with it at tyre swaps.
Way Vic's are designed the alignment and tension stays the same as long as it not messed with.
Keep it simple.
BP6666VR's method will yield the same result.
Finger poke or belt twist or buy the tool and do it that way, Your choice.
Just don't have it too tight.
Better a bit loose that overtight.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
Pulleys expand with heat,
I rotate my belt to find the loosest spot, the way we used to do with chains( remember them?)
Mark loosest spot with a dab of white paint for future reference.
Then with the loosest spot midway between pulleys , I then poke the belt upwards with my finger.
It'll move up about an inch.
To double check when the bikes hot give it the same poke upwards and the belt won't move much at all.
It'll have a little movement , not much and not tight right.
That's as simple as I can explain it.
Once they're set, that's it, ...no need to mess with it at tyre swaps.
Way Vic's are designed the alignment and tension stays the same as long as it not messed with.
Keep it simple.
BP6666VR's method will yield the same result.
Finger poke or belt twist or buy the tool and do it that way, Your choice.
Just don't have it too tight.
Better a bit loose that overtight.
True on the above guys
@Joe very good point, the belt get smaller when hot & 2 pulley get bigger when hot,

After I chang my my tire and set the belt tension double as per manual then after the first ride I check the belt tension on the side stand when hot, somebody mentioned, and I agree, when you set your belt to factory spec then there is too much tension when hot, on the shaft bearings and end up with possibly major repairs down the line

Anyway I like to tinker so i made THIS, hahahahaa it works glorious, you can mark zero and max deflection

Just want to state, the shop manual of vic is AWSOME, just the belt tension is wrong in the manual

@Motorbikerx how is that yellow beast, when does it arrive in OZ ???

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bit loose, but centered, Centered is critical to avoid the bird chirp.

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
@BP6666VR ....shouldn't be long now mate till the Yella Terra arrives, I'll call in at A to Z Imports on the way home and see.
Last I heard it was bound for Auckland then either Sydney or Brisbane, if it skips Sydney it'll be sooner than if not .
Went to ride the XC today and it felt super heavy to move, Flat read tire, Damn!!!
And it's almost worn out anyway, has a nail in it!
So I rang Andrew and ordered an E4 and rode the Vegas instead.
Pumped 50psi into the nailed Tyre and checked it an hour later it was 38 so I know when the E4 arrives I can cram another 50psi in and ride the 20 mins to the Tyre shop.
I'll remove the hard bags at my place to make it easier for them to change tyres.
They're good at it and know not to screw with adjustments.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
@BP6666VR ....shouldn't be long now mate till the Yella Terra arrives, I'll call in at A to Z Imports on the way home and see.
Last I heard it was bound for Auckland then either Sydney or Brisbane, if it skips Sydney it'll be sooner than if not .
Went to ride the XC today and it felt super heavy to move, Flat read tire, Damn!!!
And it's almost worn out anyway, has a nail in it!
So I rang Andrew and ordered an E4 and rode the Vegas instead.
Pumped 50psi into the nailed Tyre and checked it an hour later it was 38 so I know when the E4 arrives I can cram another 50psi in and ride the 20 mins to the Tyre shop.
I'll remove the hard bags at my place to make it easier for them to change tyres.
They're good at it and know not to screw with adjustments.
"yella terra" good name, ha ha, i like it ...

Don't you just hate when that happens, nail in your tire, happened 2 x on a new tire once on my CCT and once on my jackhammer, on my CCT i got it vulcanized from the inside, I must buy all my tires in Singapore, hand carry in taxi and ferry to get it home ...

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
It's in a container in Auckland now waiting to get loaded onto a ship bound for Australia
At least halfway through next month they think.
No drama cos I ain't raised the money to get it complianced yet $2500 anyway, so the longer it takes the better, ..within reason .
Gonna take most of the goodies off my Vegas and sell it as soon as the Yella one gets here and I swap the handlebars and rear shock , maybe other stuff too, time will tell.

Reactions: BP6666VR

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kevlar is one of the few exceptions to the rule.
It has a slightly negative coefficient of thermal expansion as unusual as that is. So belts do shrink slightly as they come up to running temperature. Everything else expands as Vin mentioned so the belts get a lot tighter as things warm up.
Thank you
Bit loose, but centered, Centered is critical to avoid the bird chirp.
What's bird chip ?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts