Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how it happened but on a trip a few weeks ago I noticed part way through the day the bike was getting heavy to stand up, I wrote it off to being a bit tired as it was a long highway travel day. After a fuel and food stop it looked like the bike was leaning hard, at the end of the ride it looked worse as I was now watching it. A few of us held the bike up and another checked the stand, it was resting almost 2" off of where it had warn a mark in the stowed position. We bent it back to where it had been before, all was well the rest of the trip.
This weekend I went out for the day with my wife on the back and at lunch I hopped off, looked away as something caught my attention and the bike hit me as the stand bent again and almost dumped the bike and my wife. The dealer is checking for warranty claim and they have never had a stand bend without getting previous damage done to it. Has this happened to anyone, I found nothing with searching.
The rubber is worn through on the bottom, bike is a '12 XCT, stock height, no known previous damage or dragging of the stand, and wasn't over loaded with weight either time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
As an aerospace machinist and toolmaker, I can tell you that side stand is a highly stressed component. Yours did not get quenched and tempered or whatever form of heat treat it was specified to, correctly. It is defective, or cracked. I would put the bike on a stand or lift and demand a replacement from your dealer ASAP.

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
made in china same as the aftermarket temperature gauge, no need to be a rocket scientist to figure that one out.... yes go back to the VIC shop and let them take pictures of the faulty stand....

no need to pay or fix somebody else mistakes?? :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did forget to mention that I gave my dealer a call yesterday and one is on order warranty or not I'm getting a new one. Both the sales rep I deal with and the parts guy I spoke with said I shouldn't be paying for a new one. I have started mounting the bike from the right side to reduce stress when getting on, a little odd at first but feels almost normal now.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
When your wife gets on and off the bike, is the side stand down?
Sometimes I do it this way for added stability according to this video.
I have seen people tip the entire bike on the stand to pivot it around.
Sounds like you just had a faulty stand and definitely should be covered under warranty.

·
13,002 Posts
10 hulk hogans couldn't bend one that was harden correct.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Have you checked the kickstand pivot bolt? Kickstands are pretty tough and take a hell of an impact to bend. I'm thinking the bolt may have lost the self locking nut and is backing out.

Tech23

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced at $100 and a few bucks for install. They are going to submit the claim to the extended warranty company but we told on the phone no joy, only parts of the drivetrain, suspension and electrical are covered. Service was not happy on the phone with warranty but they have me back on the road and right again. Its amazing how far the thing had bent too. And after I had initially called service walked around and found a Vision on the floor that is a left over demo model and it is doing the same thing, bad batch of stands?

Fixed, bike never fell, not happy about the money but ride on I guess.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I have taken mine off and straightened it twice. Even if this hunk of iron were remotely as strong as some folks seem to think, it ain't the jewel in Victorys engineering crown for sure. I'm already resigned to remaking it to be a sensible and somewhat less cobbled together critter but I'm too lazy to attack it proactively. After all, it ain't rocket scientry, it's just a damned kickstand.

By the by you should be appreciative that it bends. That bending is relieving forces that otherwise would look for relief in other pricier locations. Thing is each bend is one bend closer to failure.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The sad part is they are made in China now. The old ones came from a forging company over by Chicago and were machined at the shop I work at. I ran thousands of them back in the day when I started out of high school. We lost that job about 3 years ago now. We also used to machine the center link for the older bikes frames.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had a bent kickstand on a past bike. The lady swore up and down she didn't see it in her rear view mirror while backing up. No other damage beyond a scrape or two. Hubby wasn't impressed when I showed up with the bill.

·
Premium Member
8,789 Posts
The sad part is they are made in China now. The old ones came from a forging company over by Chicago and were machined at the shop I work at. I ran thousands of them back in the day when I started out of high school. We lost that job about 3 years ago now. We also used to machine the center link for the older bikes frames.
_well all I can say is my. 2010 Vegas must have a Chicago stand on it cos shortly after riding my bike back from Melbourne I had a lady friend help me christen the bike and it was resting on the stand the whole time.:)

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
_well all I can say is my. 2010 Vegas must have a Chicago stand on it cos shortly after riding my bike back from Melbourne I had a lady friend help me christen the bike and it was resting on the stand the whole time.:)
hahaha...brilliant! On the Pacific Highway? :)

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Since a kickstand isn't really a precision item you could bend it to the proper shape and take it to a heat treat company and have it fixed.
If it was chromed you should take it by the chromer and have it stripped first but if it is powder coat they will probably be able to sand blast it or you could buy a can of aviation paint stripper and save yourself some money in their labor.

The rubber pad will have to be removed etc. nothing but the stand.
Tell them that it is close but no cigar. Mark where it is bending will give the guy some idea how far he needs to go. If you brought a picture of it bent that would be better. Generally if they will do it they will need it for a week or so to stick it in with a batch of other parts. They just run it through with a big order then temper it back to what they figure will work based on how hard it was when they got it. Tell him that it must never break when overloaded it should fail by bending so he doesn't get carried away. I've done it with bolts shafts etc. Basically they are making beer or lunch money doing it for you.

Again if they will do it. I've never had a heat treat shop say no. Maybe I was just lucky.

·
Premium Member
8,789 Posts
hahaha...brilliant! On the Pacific Highway? :)
no Krisd, back at my workshop, she came over to see the new bike, was wearing a very short skirt...I was sitting on the bike,...and well one thing led to another.
She did ask if the stand would handle it.(how thoughtful)
I replied there's one way to find out:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts