Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for some help finding the tools helpful in adjusting belt tension, and rear wheel alignment.

I understand there are a couple 'homebrew' methods, but I'd like some help getting me in the ballpark easier.

Victory's part number for a belt tension gauge is : PV-43532
Rear wheel alignment tool part number is : PV-43528

Having trouble finding them online, and am also wondering if there is a decent off-brand model, that may work just as well and save a little change.

Appreciate any input

·
13,003 Posts
for alignment. Get rear wheel off ground. sit on the ground and spin wheel and look to see if belt is in straight line. You can see if its hooking one way or the other.
Of course you want belt in straight line

·
Registered
12,217 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Home brew ?? Mate everything in the world is made by guys tinkering around in company's .... Most patents are from guys working in a company who have a golden idea, but don't have the resources to patent the product ... Just coz it's made out of chrome doesn't mean it is better ... A guy works for a company, makes a bullet proof product, the company mass-produce this with cutting corners to make it cheaper ..

I found that this simple belt gauge worked a bit complicated / pushing / measuring / etc ...

So I made this contraption in 1 hour time ..,

Hope you liked my home brew improvement to a annoying stock tool ... You can clearly see that you do not need a mm measure tool with this set-up as the 2 black marks will mark the deflection and the two O-ring the force or Kilogramme

See the manual for that

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Ain't you the clever one. I'm going to make me one, thanks to you.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

Cool lookin rig ya made, I didn't mean homebrew in a bad way, i love homebrews cheers haha

Just lookin for info for the tools the manual recommends so I can find my own combo to see what works best for me

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Ya mate, when I read it back, I didn't mean anything but a gentle joke ....

Anyway this thing works glorious, used it on my bike and a HD DEUCE ... Easy as pie ... It's hanging on my tool board ..

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
belt tension gauge?? yep!...got one in my hand!..called a finger.
Pushing up on the belt cold got 1/2 to 3/4" movement that vanishes to around 3/8" hot, a bit slack is much better than too tight.
In 60,000 miles and 8 tyre changes haven't touched tension or alignment.
Once the initial stretch is taken care of at the first service there's no real need to fark around with it,..as long as your tyre shop don't go playing with the adjustment it stays static.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I use my hands , my mind , and go by feel ... As far as aligning the belt I go strictly by the manual . This has worked well for me . I also adjust my belt when warm , as not to ever have it too tight . Doing it this way has also eliminated all belt chirp wet or dry .

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts
Tinkering time .... I like making things .... It's the man cave thing .... Yup using your fingers is fine .... Everything is fine whatever works ....

TaPaTaLk for VIC forum

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
OK, here's one for you guys to explain to me....
Whenever I do a cold belt check, it's at that perfect for Cross bikes 1-1/4" deflection. Been that way since new and after 27K+ miles and a tire change. No, never touched the adjusters. Now here's the puzzler; when hot, that belt is tighter than Hillary's thong. What's up with that? Belt rides a bit to the side and makes no sound. Anyone?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The belt is supposed to get tighter when bike is hot. That is why you adjust it to have significant deflection when cold. As the metal making up both front and rear sprockets heats up, it expands which increases its diameter very slightly which obviously would increase the tension in the belt reducing its deflection. If the belt heated up and expanded when heated up, this might offset the impact of the metal expansion. My guess is that either the belt does not heat up significantly since it is out in the moving air or it is made of materials designed to not expand when heated.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
The belt is supposed to get tighter when bike is hot. That is why you adjust it to have significant deflection when cold. As the metal making up both front and rear sprockets heats up, it expands which increases its diameter very slightly which obviously would increase the tension in the belt reducing its deflection. If the belt heated up and expanded when heated up, this might offset the impact of the metal expansion. My guess is that either the belt does not heat up significantly since it is out in the moving air or it is made of materials designed to not expand when heated.
But when I feel other Cross bikes belts on the same ride, they have some slack. They tell me they adjusted to 1-1/4" too. I don't understand the difference.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Maybe there is a difference but you have not really conducted a carefully controlled and measured scientific experiment. Perhaps the adjustments on the other bikes prior to the ride were not where stated by the owners. Perhaps the age or condition of the belt plays a role. Perhaps the air pressure in the shock plays a role. I was merely giving an explanation for why a belt should tighten up from cold to hot bike conditions.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
@LILMAGS500.....That's brilliant mate!.... Totally brilliant.
Adjusting when hot...
Turning negatives into positives.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
@LILMAGS500.....That's brilliant mate!.... Totally brilliant.
Adjusting when hot...
Turning negatives into positives.
Maybe I should try that, but all seems well; no signs of wear, no noise.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
OK, here's one for you guys to explain to me....
Whenever I do a cold belt check, it's at that perfect for Cross bikes 1-1/4" deflection. Been that way since new and after 27K+ miles and a tire change. No, never touched the adjusters. Now here's the puzzler; when hot, that belt is tighter than Hillary's thong. What's up with that? Belt rides a bit to the side and makes no sound. Anyone?
How tight exactly is Hillarys thong? (don't wanna go there:eek )
Poking it (the belt):| with your finger, have you any defection at all?
You must have some play, maybe yr mates don't ride as hard as you so their bikes don't get as hot!
Maybe yours is perfect...and they're a little to the loose side of perfection.
Like Hillarys thong:devil

·
Premium Member
6,083 Posts

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
How tight exactly is Hillarys thong? (don't wanna go there:eek )
Poking it (the belt):| with your finger, have you any defection at all?
You must have some play, maybe yr mates don't ride as hard as you so their bikes don't get as hot!
Maybe yours is perfect...and they're a little to the loose side of perfection.
Like Hillarys thong:devil
All good points mate. When hot, my belt is very tight, yet there is some upward movement when I poke it. Kinda like a guitar string's movement. True, I have no idea what others' belts are like when cold, or if they adjusted them as they said they did.
Re Hillary's thong; BP6666's last post explains it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts