Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, probably only a few weeks out from purchasing a Havasu Red XC. Took one for a ride yesterday that had only the stock windshield and WOW! The head buffeting was tremendous. So what have you done to minimize it?

I came up with this Klock Werks Tinted medium height (8 1/2in) windshield (2878833-02) and Victory lower wind deflectors (2877896). I also saw these things called Fairing Air Deflectors (2878527). Do you do all three, just two? If this helps, I'm 6' 1" and currently ride a Suzuki Volusia using a National Cycle 2-Up quick detach windscreen with lowers and receive no head buffeting.

Thanks for any recommendations. I can't wait to joint the XC Family. Is there a secret handshake?? Just fooling.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome to the Victory family! I have the Madstad windshield with brackets. I can adjust the windshield up/down and fwd/backwards (angle). I am 6' and my shield is 11" tall. If I don't want buffeting I raise it as high as possible and adjust the angele to 90 degree and I don't get any buffeting and I wear an open face helmet.

I have heard of others with your setup so I'm sure someone will chime in. :D

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I am 6'-1" as well and I installed the Gustafson Euroflip Shield at +2" and that eliminated ALMOST all of the buffeting. I then purchased Goody's lowers from Witchdoctor and that ELIMINATED ALL of the buffeting. Only problem for me then there was too much heat coming from the engine and my legs were cooking. I ended up taking the lowers off and will put them back on in the winter time for sure.

Just go to the "search" tab and enter buffeting. You will get pages of responses and then be totally confused. What works for me may not work for you even though we are the same height. Inseam ( mine is 34" ) comes into play as well. If your inseam and height match then you should be able to get the same benefits as someone else with the same exact measurements, I did.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I second the Madstad vote. I am running a 13" Madstad shield on my '14 XC. I do run the full hard lowers and upper air controls found on the tour, and with the stock shorty the buffeting was terrible as well. I also tried the Victory Flip windshield, no go as the buffeting still killed me.

I ran the 11" Madstad for a while, but found I was always running it in the full up position, so I decided to swap out for the 13" and run it slammed all the way down. It looks much better as the gap along the bottom is minimized.

With the Madstad I get no buffeting all the way up to freeway speeds and beyond. You do still get quite a bit of air in the face and around the head, but it is much calmer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I quickly looked at the Madstad web site and saw that there three types of Madstad windshields Which type do most of you use and based on their claims does it seem necessary like lowers are even needed?? One more question, the color. I'm thinking dark grey. What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Thanks for the info. I quickly looked at the Madstad web site and saw that there three types of Madstad windshields Which type do most of you use and based on their claims does it seem necessary like lowers are even needed?? One more question, the color. I'm thinking dark grey. What do you all recommend?
I have the 13" in Medium Tint, not dark. I was going to get dark, but glad I didn't, as you do end up looking through the shield at times if it is in the full up position.

Its amazing how well it works. 80 mph and I can where a loose baseball cap, bill forward, with no issues. Sure it doesn't look pretty, but I'm slowly getting used to that issue. As long as its not in the full up position, its not really that bad ugly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Follow the recommendations on the Madstad website for which shield. It is based on your height.
As everyone has said, you still get a little turbulence from below. To completely eliminate it you will need lowers. I prefer the ones sold at Witchdoctor, fabricated by a forum member.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the 13" in Medium Tint, not dark. I was going to get dark, but glad I didn't, as you do end up looking through the shield at times if it is in the full up position.

Its amazing how well it works. 80 mph and I can where a loose baseball cap, bill forward, with no issues. Sure it doesn't look pretty, but I'm slowly getting used to that issue. As long as its not in the full up position, its not really that bad ugly.

Yup, medium tint seem to be the best compromise. There are times you will want to ride with it up, so being able to see through it is necessary. My 11" I had was the full dark tint, and there was no looking through it.

From what I understand the light tint is really light, more of a smoke than anything.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
Those KW lowers will do the trick but OMG! For the money I would look at the JTD lowers first. IMHO they look better too. These aren't even painted yet.

They also have them for the round crash bars.

http://jtdcycleparts.com/Victory_c6.htm

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Those KW lowers will do the trick but OMG! For the money I would look at the JTD lowers first. IMHO they look better too. These aren't even painted yet.

They also have them for the round crash bars.

http://jtdcycleparts.com/Victory_c6.htm
I agree thumb up Love my JTD lowers and Klock werks tinted shield!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,768 Posts
I find sticking my head out of a car window at speed really good way to get a good wind buffetting:)
my bikes I prefer fairing-less

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
the buffeting and riding without a shield are two totally different things, my last bike i didnt have a shield and it was good, these have the full fairing and the wind( buffeting) beats you up at times.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
You've been given excellent advise from CC owners. My response to your inquiry s more tongue in cheek. But why not just make a great deal on a new or used CCT? You get more features than a CC and the buffeting issue has already been designed out from the factory.

I'm biased towards the CCT having bought one last year. Since you haven't made a purchase yet, I'm just wondering if you've looked at and considered the CCT.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts