Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best earplugs to cut wind noise but still hear me SENA Bluetooth headset. Couple of us in my Vic riders group have Sena's so one takes the front and one takes the back to keep track of everyone and my Skull Screws ear plugs make it nearly impossible at highway speed to hear.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Skull-Screws-Plugs-Uncorded/dp/B015RYM6L4/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1507579753&sr=8-3&keywords=skull+screws+ear+plugs[/ame]

::Yes I know there's people that don't use Bluetooth in their helmets, I don't care I would like to hear from people that do and what ear plugs they use::

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use a sena and use foam night time sleep ear plugs and I can hear my stereo just fine. by them at WalMart

Reactions: Ahoutzer

·
Registered
471 Posts
When I use ear plugs, I use radians, custom ear plugs
Radians Custom Molded Earplugs | Bass Pro Shops
When I use them with my Sena, the sound is mufflered and difficult to understand, so I only use them on long high speed trips. They work great for mowing the lawn

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a sena and use foam night time sleep ear plugs and I can hear my stereo just fine. by them at WalMart
We have some like that at the shop I didn't think they would do much but I'll grab some tomorrow and give them a try.

When I use ear plugs, I use radians, custom ear plugs
Radians Custom Molded Earplugs | Bass Pro Shops
When I use them with my Sena, the sound is mufflered and difficult to understand, so I only use them on long high speed trips. They work great for mowing the lawn
My current skull screws are like that.

·
13,299 Posts
check out your local mall. Maybe you can find a place that makes custom ear plugs. Or look on line you can find kits were you mix up your own silicon and form them to your ears

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
They work great for mowing the lawn
I have to get me some of those...I'm tired of having to mow the lawn.
Vindex, Go to a safety supply store and grab one pair each of ear plugs that have under 30 db NRR and take each pair for a test ride. This is how I found my almost perfect ear plugs.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I am a devout lover of the SENA SMH-10 system. I don't use ear plugs. Instead, I use reasonable quality ear buds of the "in the ear canal" style to deliver all the sound the SENA wants to send me which includes music, turn-by-turn directions from my GPS, intercom to my wife on her bike, and even phone calls which I can make/take at 80 mph cruising down gthe highway. I spend about $50 for reasonable quality in the ear canal type ear buds which save my hearing by blocking out much but not all of the road noise. I can hear emergency sirens and even hear cars as they are close to passing me. However, the decibel level of the road noise is not at the hearing damaging level and neither is the music/gps/intercom/phone. I could not imagine a better system.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: Tourider

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a few different ear plugs which I should have started wearing years ago. I wouldn't have the problems I do now.

My latest and greatest are from Costco. Two pairs custom made and I use them when I'm working with loud equipment. With them in I can't hear a damned thing so they are a bit too quiet on the bike. Costco has options for how much noise is reduced so I may go back and get some that don't cut off quite so much. In the mean time I'm using a much older custom pair that were meant for the high frequency noise of some wood working equipment. They don't fit quite as well as they used to but are fine for cutting down on most of the wind noise.

Did I mention I now wish I'd started using them decades ago? Sucks to not hear right.

PS. Some music stores also sell custom ear plugs that can be made for different levels.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Musicians ear plugs have variable filters. You have the choice of custom or production musician plugs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am a devout lover of the SENA SMH-10 system. I don't use ear plugs. Instead, I use reasonable quality ear buds of the "in the ear canal" style to deliver all the sound the SENA wants to send me which includes music, turn-by-turn directions from my GPS, intercom to my wife on her bike, and even phone calls which I can make/take at 80 mph cruising down gthe highway. I spend about $50 for reasonable quality in the ear canal type ear buds which save my hearing by blocking out much but not all of the road noise. I can hear emergency sirens and even hear cars as they are close to passing me. However, the decibel level of the road noise is not at the hearing damaging level and neither is the music/gps/intercom/phone. I could not imagine a better system.

G'day,

Vinish
Did you wire in your ear buds or what?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Did you wire in your ear buds or what?
No. Sena has various brackets available and one of the other brackets does NOT have speakers and instead has the standard ear bud female port (3 mm?). With this bracket, I insert the earbud male jack into the port and then push the extra wires into space between the hard outer shell and the foam cushioning. I leave each earbud and about 3" of wire dangling from the helmet directly above each ear. Then, I just put on the half-helmet, stick in the earbuds, tighten the chin strap, and ride into the sunset :) It works absolutely fantastic.

G'day,

Vinish

Reactions: bbqjoe

·
Registered
70 Posts
No. Sena has various brackets available and one of the other brackets does NOT have speakers and instead has the standard ear bud female port (3 mm?). With this bracket, I insert the earbud male jack into the port and then push the extra wires into space between the hard outer shell and the foam cushioning. I leave each earbud and about 3" of wire dangling from the helmet directly above each ear. Then, I just put on the half-helmet, stick in the earbuds, tighten the chin strap, and ride into the sunset :) It works absolutely fantastic.

G'day,

Vinish
Thank you for the info!

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
I remember when Motorcycles had no radios. In fact my first cars/trucks had no radios. They had a heater no A/C. If you did have a radio it was AM and they did play music most of the time. Damn things have changed. I have a 3 quarter helmet that has holes near my ears. Cuts out the wind noise, but lets the music in. I'll post the name later of the helmet. Ain't going to the Cantina to get it. Put a good windshield and stock pipes help a lot.

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Well there youngster...I remember when a heater and a radio were options and the ONLY options prior to 1939. When looking through the classifieds for a used car, if the ad didn't have "R&H" for radio and heater, you passed on that car. Nowadays, you buy a new car and you have to select from a bewildering list of "packages" that have a bewildering list of options. And many times, to get the one item you want, you have to get a package that has items you don't want or need. A far cry from R&H.

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
Well there youngster...I remember when a heater and a radio were options and the ONLY options prior to 1939. When looking through the classifieds for a used car, if the ad didn't have "R&H" for radio and heater, you passed on that car. Nowadays, you buy a new car and you have to select from a bewildering list of "packages" that have a bewildering list of options. And many times, to get the one item you want, you have to get a package that has items you don't want or need. A far cry from R&H.
Yeah mate Im with you on that , a mate was bragging only yesterday how he can watch movies on the screen on the dash of his BMW convertible.
You can imagine my reply..

Reactions: RICZ

·
Registered
12,354 Posts
Yeah mate Im with you on that , a mate was bragging only yesterday how he can watch movies on the screen on the dash of his BMW convertible.
You can imagine my reply..
I hope you singed his ears with that reply MBX. As a rider, I am so pissed about those goddamn dashboard screens that take a driver's eyes off the road for as much as 40 seconds, studies have shown. A lot of road is traveled in that 40 seconds. I am doing all I can do to keep my 2007 car viable so I don't have to have that mandatory distraction. Who, in God's name, needs Internet connectivity in a car?!? Now I went and made myself angry.

·
13,299 Posts
I have to laugh now. I looked up Radians ear plugs. Now all I get is adds for the ear plugs.
I thought I had tracking shut off on computer but guess not.

·
Premium Member
9,016 Posts
I have to laugh now. I looked up Radians ear plugs. Now all I get is adds for the ear plugs.
I thought I had tracking shut off on computer but guess not.
Tracking is everywhere....theyre watching you VJ:nerd

Reactions: RICZ
1 - 19 of 19 Posts