Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know who makes WIDER bars? I love the Magnum bars but one thing I loved about my Stratoliner was wide bars for great control. Any ideas/experience?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Wider bars provide more leverage, not control. If you feel the need for more control, perhaps your steering head bearings are loose, or need to be tighter. Maybe more air in the tires if there's less than 40 front, 42 rear. I like to start with the cheap and easy things first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the reply Ricz but I correlate control with leverage. If you haven’t ridden a larger bike with a wider bar you have more control over her by a little more movement not to mention the curvature of the oem bars. She is brand new so no issues there. The oem bars are just a wee bit narrow for my fave. I do appreciate the reply. Erick at Vic baggers advises he can make his curved bars or mini apes wider in any config but would love anyone’s experience so far to see what they have done. See pic of my Strat bars for reference. Apologies in advance for the pic but it’s the only one I could find.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
After riding my bike for a while after the purchase, I had it on the lift and the steering head bearings were loose. My guess is they were torqued to spec on the assembly line, but settled with some miles on them. A while back, I upgraded the steering head to all tapered roller bearings, torqued 'em to spec, and after some miles, they loosened. After re-tightening them a bit tighter than spec, the handling was amazing. I would not assume your steering head bearings are at spec. Its like assuming your tires are at the correct pressure when the bike was delivered. Been riding since 1952 and have had many bikes with bars wider than my XR's. I'm not lobbying against you going to wider bars if that's what you want, just saying what I experienced with my Vic and maybe save you some bucks in the process. I'm all for saving money.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Funny, I've found that riding my buddy's Stratoliner.... suddenly feel like I've gone from a sports car to trying to get an 18-wheeler around the corners with those beach bars and its sluggish front end..Okay, I'm being extreme but there is a BIG difference in the two bike's feel, maybe you just need to get more used to the XC. The Strat is a great bike but I'll take the XC's handling over it any day......

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
Thx for the reply Ricz but I correlate control with leverage. If you haven’t ridden a larger bike with a wider bar you have more control over her by a little more movement not to mention the curvature of the oem bars. She is brand new so no issues there. The oem bars are just a wee bit narrow for my fave. I do appreciate the reply. Erick at Vic baggers advises he can make his curved bars or mini apes wider in any config but would love anyone’s experience so far to see what they have done. See pic of my Strat bars for reference. Apologies in advance for the pic but it’s the only one I could find.

That's a nice looking bike. The rear signal lenses are a bit different but I guess it goes along with the rest of the design.

Have you considered taller bars like the Magnum apes? I found I like my hands resting just barely below shoulder level to be the sweet spot for me personally.

I like wider bars too but then I have wider shoulders than the average so that only makes sense. If the grips are too close together I feel squished in if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You did’t explain all of that silly.. I will check her out for sure. Thx a ton for all the data. This kind of experience is what makes the forum so bad ass.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
At 36" tip to tip wide; they are a nice width IMHO. I have some similar but not the same on my bike and like them. I would like them more if the wrist angle was just a little different to fit my personal comfort zone but they will do.

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
Ya know... I almost bought a set of apes from Witchdoctors just now. They have a set it looks like I would like a little better than what I have but there's just no way I'm paying $80 freaking bucks for shipping on a set of handlebars.

I don't know if shipping has gone up that much or what. I do know it's expensive to ship bars due to their cumbersome size and would go as high as $50 but no way am I going to pay $80.

By the way; they too were 36" tip to tip so you might want to check them out yourself. They are the $149 ones.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The $149 apes look awesome but require a freaking cable kit.

·
Premium Member
13,643 Posts
The $149 apes look awesome but require a freaking cable kit.
Really? When I compared them to the ones you want I noticed these were a 16" rise and those you were looking at were a 17" rise if I'm remembering right. They do look taller in the one picture though. Maybe the rise was a misprint.

Did you call them?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No sir. Just saw in the description after looking at 100’s.. lol

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts