Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting my 2nd week of Victory XC ownership and was wondering what is the best RPM range for the best miles per gallon?
I've been watching the instant fuel milage but I know that these can be a little misleading.

Loving the bike so far. Went to Donut Derelicts, in Huntington Beach, this morning and hardly got off my bike before a couple people started coming over to complement and admire the bike.

I've found the handling to be much better than I expected and much better than my 1100 VStar.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
The best way I found to determine what rpm the engine likes in the different gears is to set the display to "Instant MPG" then just watch it as you ride around trying different rpm's in different gears.

I was somewhat surprised when a higher rpm yielded a better gas mileage much of the time. I guess in those rpms the engine isn't working as hard so it doesn't pull as much fuel.

Your mileage may vary...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Around 3200 rpm on the highway gives me the most smiles per gallon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
When under 70 mph and in 5th gear, I get my best mpg.

·
Registered
694 Posts
2500 rpms at 67 mph nets me 46 mph in 6th 2up on my CCT.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I have a couple of questions myself....
*Did you buy a motorcycle with a 106 cubic inch engine in hopes of the best possible fuel economy? That's what scooters are for.
*What makes you think there's a best rpm for anything? RPM is dependent on road speed and gear selected. If you are cruising at 60 mph you have choices, such as, 5th gear @2500 rpm or 6th gear @2000 rpm. (5th @2500 will return better mileage, sounds counterintuitive, but it will). Once you get to 6th gear and above a certain speed, your choices get slim. Cruising at 75-80 the rpm will be what the rpm is… you're out of gears.

Just ride the motorcycle and try to enjoy yourself. Pay attention to your surroundings and plan ahead. Stop looking at the dash... that's how you get killed.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
My dearly departed brother was also a motorcyclist, but we had a hard time riding together, because he was a mileage freak. He didn't like that I stopped for gas before he needed to, even though we had identical bikes - we did that with cars too. I had to gas up because I was using lower gears than he in the twisties and going up hills. One time, when he was chiding me, I told him that tickets for a more exciting theater show are more expensive because you are seeing a better show. I'm seeing a better show. He stopped carping about my getting lower mpg.
The moral here is, if you really wanna have fun, you pays for it! So ride your ride - you bought a toy, play with it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Was I the only biker that understood the man's question without berated him on the "why" part of mileage? Holy crap it was an honest question that I found easy enough to answer.

Things like size of tank and fuel mileage do matter to a lot of us. I wouldn't have bought my CCT if the dealer told me that it gets 20 mpg's because it's got a 106 cubic inch motor so what do you expect!

Honda downsized the new 2018 Gold Wing's tank by a gallon and they are hearing tons of negative feedback on how that might affect it's range. Hopefully Honda won't answer with, "you bought a motorcycle just shut up and ride" remark.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Honda was comfortable with reducing the tank size because they lightened the bike, improved the aerodynamics, increased the fuel mileage of the engine to the point where it's a wash in terms of range.
Blowndoggie, how long do we have to stand in the corner you put us all in?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't buy the XC 106 for economy but i did buy it to take longer trips. 2 weeks in to ownership and I'm already surprised that it's getting better MPG than my VStar 1100 so it's clear a bigger engine can get better economy.
Every engine has a sweet spot where economy peaks in the power curve and that sweet spot is generally where an engine is happiest and has the least amount of wear. Some engines it's a lower RPM and in others it's a higher RPM. I was curious, as a new owner, what others might be experiencing and where the sweet spot was.

I've been riding 45+ years and and lately ride about 7K to 8K miles a year so I agree with your statement: Just ride the motorcycle and try to enjoy yourself. Pay attention to your surroundings and plan ahead. Stop looking at the dash... that's how you get killed. This is why I don't listen to radios while riding. But you do have to look at the dash regularly to ensure everything is operating OK.
It was just a simple question that most answered straight forward and I appreciate all of you and the answers you provide.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
You wanna hear something crazy?

I take on less fuel at fuel stops than almost anyone else... I can cruise at 80+ and get 47 MPG.

What's so crazy about that? Well, the bike is making 77% more power than when it left the factory and it's geared down 7% as well (turns 7% more rpm at any speed/gear).

How can that be? When the others are holding 35% throttle to maintain speed up a steep grade I'm only at 15% throttle, that's how. The engine never works hard and is tuned to turn fuel into power efficiently.

·
Super Moderator
4,949 Posts
You wanna hear something crazy?

I take on less fuel at fuel stops than almost anyone else... I can cruise at 80+ and get 47 MPG.

What's so crazy about that? Well, the bike is making 77% more power than when it left the factory and it's geared down 7% as well (turns 7% more rpm at any speed/gear).

How can that be? When the others are holding 35% throttle to maintain speed up a steep grade I'm only at 15% throttle, that's how. The engine never works hard and is tuned to turn fuel into power efficiently.
Amen to that!! Since my cams and a ...good... tune my mileage went up along with an increase in power.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Amen to that!! Since my cams and a ...good... tune my mileage went up along with an increase in power.
Yes... People are under the impression that running the bike lean and keeping the rpm low will result in better fuel economy. People think performance modifications will kill their fuel economy and it is one of the justifications for not doing it.

Not my experience at all. I never ride with a mind toward economy, I just ride... still get the best mileage in the group. They always ask, "How much fuel did you take" and when I say all I could get in it was 3.6 they start with the "What? I took 4.1!". I try to tell them I haven't been in 6th gear all day...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since the bike is new to me and I didn't get any info from the previous owner and I'm just starting to go through the bike with plug and oil changes. My first bigger purchase will be a new windshield since my brain is currently being rattled. It currently has a 12 inch WindVest with a recurve and I have to find a windshield to push the air about 4 inches higher that I can still see over. (I'm 6'1" and sit tall). Later I'll start looking to see what performance items have been added that I can't see. It currently has Tri-ovals and the bike has a few things like bag fillers that make me think there is probably a few performance items included since this looks like a pride of ownership bike. It doesn't have RICZ laydown license plate holder but maybe some time in the future it will.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Honda was comfortable with reducing the tank size because they lightened the bike, improved the aerodynamics, increased the fuel mileage of the engine to the point where it's a wash in terms of range.
Blowndoggie, how long do we have to stand in the corner you put us all in?
Do you think I didn't know the above facts? Yes they reduced the weight (almost 100lbs), luggage capacity (by almost 50%), fuel capacity and made it a sportier tour bike. Traditional GW owners HATE the new bike. Go to the forums and read the responses. I just didn't go to Honda's website and quote their reason for the redesign. I just don't understand why the man needs a lecture on his question about fuel economy. And yes anyone that lectures someone on why he's asking the question SHOULD stand in the corner. :grin

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Typically, I shoot for 2700 RPM... whatever the gear. At 2.7kRPM ya hit most of the speed limit bench marks... 2nd gear's 'bout 35 mph, 3rd's 'bout 45 mph, 4th's 'bout 50-55 mph. There's a road I travel to work which ranges from 35 to 55 mph speed limits. I usually can tell what the posted speed limit is by the gear I'm in (at 2.7kRPM). 3kRPM, in 6th gear's good for 75mph.

Anything post 75mph is just out flyin' yer angle (or beggin' for a ticket). I pilot a '14, Vision, with Autotune 'n PCV so I've done the mappin' and these numbers work for me. They may not work for others as this is the reason for installing the Autotune 'n PCV (to maximize performance at the local level). Once ya've set-up yer maps in the PCV there should be no reason to watch the rise 'n fall of the MPG in yer instrumentation. What yer askin', I guess, is how (without an Autotune, PCV, or dyno) do ya find yer sweet spot? Because this falls into a realm of engineering, V-twins, and personal preference the RPM may change per bike, rider, and location (this includes: gas formulation, elevation, and terrane).

As yer a long time rider (of many platforms) I'm sure ya've found this all to be true. Some of the guys are just givin' ya $h!t 'cuz they've already done the math... 3kRPM is optimal for most cases 'round the country with Victorys. As others have said... enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Gettin' a little touchy there, are we, Blowndodge? Have a Happy New Year anyway.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I seem to do well in mileage cruising around 3k RPM.

You will notice if you are new to XC the fuel gauge is nutty when you get below half a tank. Get to know your mileage by odometer because it will often kick that low fuel light on much earlier than needed. I usually go 200 miles with no fear of having to walk. Your bike tune and mileage may vary of course. :)

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
My best fuel economy is riding hard out on the open road.
Worst is around town.

Absolute worst is driving the 455 Buick but I dont complain about that either.
Im on the Vegas much more.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Gettin' a little touchy there, are we, Blowndodge? Have a Happy New Year anyway.
Ok I'll leave you alone. You made my point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts