Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I know there have been a lot of "Which Exhaust" posts and I know a lot of it is personal opinion but I would be interested to hear what you think makes our bikes sound best. I know a lot of Harley's sound better than our bikes and a set of V&H pipes (Big Shots or Short Shots) and a Screaming Eagle Heavy Breather do a great job on getting the sound just right. I know a lot of people will just say if you want it to sound like a Harley buy one which is fair enough but I have a Highball now.

I have Stage 1 with K&N Filter and the Victory Swepts on my bike and it sounded nice. I replaced the baffles with the RPW ones and the bike sounds much better. The idle is just about perfect now. When it was at HD getting them fitted a lot of the guys couldn't believe how good it sounded (and you know how stubborn they can be about anything other than HD!).

What is it that gives it a better sound? Is it the Torque Tubes or S&S filter that really gives it a lift as well? Do cams really change it and give it a better sound? Power is important but it is not the overall end goal. I would take a set up that had 10% less power if it sounded 10% better once all done.

I would say that above 3,500 the noise on a Vic can be a bit mechanical and sounds good but about 80% as good as what I would like.

As you know I like in the UK so not a great deal of bike over here to listen too. Has anyone come across a bike and just thought that is just the best combination for our bikes?

Maybe one of the builders like Conquest Customs, Vic Shop or Southern Motorworx etc might chime in here.

If I keep my bike I am going to do a full build on it and I want to make sure of the direction I am going to go before I make my decision so any help would be greatly appreciated.

For example I had a Trans Am 4th Gen LT1 and I had the pipes or a Corvette put on and it was simply one of the best V8's I have ever heard.

Looking forward to hearing your replies!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
As a general rule, pipes that look cool and sound great don't make any power. Pipes that make power look like they look and sound like they sound.

There are a few good looking 2-2 pipes that sound good and make decent power, like the RPW Slash for example, but they won't ever run quite as good as a tuned 2-1 header system.

I am quite pleased with the look, sound, and performance of the RPW Thor 2-1. The Big Slash version is a bit louder, especially on decel, for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5uoQzN955E

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
I like my Freedom Performance slash/swept/ leafblowers.
Looks Sound and Performance.
Scrape the road a bit two-up on hard right handers but theyre wearing away nicely:)

·
Registered
566 Posts
As a general rule, pipes that look cool and sound great don't make any power. Pipes that make power look like they look and sound like they sound.

There are a few good looking 2-2 pipes that sound good and make decent power, like the RPW Slash for example, but they won't ever run quite as good as a tuned 2-1 header system.

I am quite pleased with the look, sound, and performance of the RPW Thor 2-1. The Big Slash version is a bit louder, especially on decel, for some reason.

That sounds raspy and Harley-esq! To me anyway....

I prefer more of muscle car sound out of my bike. Like the sound of the rpw thor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_BorwB2RM

HC: you got a vid of your bike?
:D

·
13,251 Posts
Big Tav

Have you ever stood on the side of the road and had a Buddy make a few passé's so you could hear what your dike sounds like.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I really don't understand why so many guys love the sound of a Harley. I personally think the sound like crap. They remind me of my uncles old john deer A tractors and they were not fast. Vic's with good pipes sound more like a muscle car from the 60's

·
Registered
566 Posts
I really don't understand why so many guys love the sound of a Harley. I personally think the sound like crap. They remind me of my uncles old john deer A tractors and they were not fast. Vic's with good pipes sound more like a muscle car from the 60's
I couldn't agree more, and therefore I've been searching for the exhaust that will give me that 60's muscle car sound. Of course it's hard to judge by youtube videos, but from what I can tell so far the ground pounders and the rpw thor 2-1 are the closest to that sound. The ground pounders are probably too loud for most city street use. The thor is probably the best compromise. I'm just not too big of a fan of it's looks, but what you gonna do...

I've been taking for ever to decide, because some of the pipes out there make the Vics sound just like a raspy rattle can Harley and that makes me want to puke...

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not just after loud or outright performance. They are both important but i'm mainly looking for the quality of the sound if you know what I mean. My Swepts do alright with the baffles replaced and it sound nice. I am just wondering if anyone (especially the Shops) have just put a combination together and thought...DAMN that the combo right there!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sold on the Thor either for looks. I don't think it suits a Highball. I know it is the best performer out there though.

I haven't had a change to hear my bike riding past as I don't have any mates I trust to ride it!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
13,707 Posts

These have a sound pleasant to my ears but probably a bit louder than I would like. Do you know if they have quieter baffles for the Big slash exhausts?

That sounds raspy and Harley-esq! To me anyway....

I prefer more of muscle car sound out of my bike. Like the sound of the rpw thor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_BorwB2RM

HC: you got a vid of your bike?
:D
That sounds pretty good if that's the sound you are going for. Check out these RPW Slip Stick slip-ons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQLVB3_rvrc

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
need to add another six cylinders if you want the '60s Muscle Car sound

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've got to do something about these pipes. I love the sound of my bike at idle but not above 3,000 rpm. I am not sure if it's the baffles or the just the sound of the 106 Motor? I wish I could get then noise of a HD only Highball and it would be perfect.

The problem is (other than at idle which sounds spot on) the bike just makes loud noise (to me) rather than a nice sound.

Does anyone have the same issue? Do you think it's my Swepts?

I wish I could hear more bikes with different pipes in person like the Pro Street Turnouts and the RPW Slash etc.

·
Registered
477 Posts
need to add another six cylinders if you want the '60s Muscle Car sound
Now that's the smartest response I've read! I like my swept pipes with RPW baffles but we're all different. I'd like to later get a better performing pipe but that's for later.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Jackpot. So we have the same set up now. What do you think? I think the idle is perfect. 2,000 rpm is ok. 3,000+ is starting to annoy me a bit. Not a nice sound but just noise. Really putting me off a long ride and is starting to effect how much I enjoy riding it. Just doesn't sound quite the way I want it too.

Did you have any issues with riding in the low rpm now you have changed baffles?

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Now that's the smartest response I've read! I like my swept pipes with RPW baffles but we're all different. I'd like to later get a better performing pipe but that's for later.
Thx Jackpot!.....now if only I could get my 60's musclecar to sound like a harley!......actually it sounds pretty good with twin 4-1 tuned length headers and twin 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipesthru series 40 Flowmasters exiting at rear of car.
Love the sound of my Vic with Freedom Performance slashs specially from 2-3, over 3 I'm thundering along, adrenalins kicked in and I'm on a sweet endorphin ride,
The combination of the sounds the feeling thru the bars at one with the V-twin pulses as those massive pistons suck in huge quantities of oxygen via the Torquetubes intake.
The volatile mix is compressed to within an inch of its life then ignited with a bang!
The road rushes by and Im King of the Road again...
Sweet Victory:)

·
Registered
632 Posts
The muscle of the 60's got their sound from the engine... Pipes just make noise out the rear...I know I've had a few 59 Merc with a 430 Lincoln , 64 Cudda, 65 442, 68 440 Charger....
There is nothing like a V8 with a lopping cam.. And spaghetti headers.. Noise out the rear make you sound like the boy racers in a Honda Civic with a 5 inch tail pipe scrapping the ground all noise and no go,...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi Jackpot. So we have the same set up now. What do you think? I think the idle is perfect. 2,000 rpm is ok. 3,000+ is starting to annoy me a bit. Not a nice sound but just noise. Really putting me off a long ride and is starting to effect how much I enjoy riding it. Just doesn't sound quite the way I want it too.

Did you have any issues with riding in the low rpm now you have changed baffles?
We all have Different taste in sound BT, I like the way my bike sounds with the setup. It's definitely deeper at idle and just gets more rowdy everywhere really. Personally, I wouldn't change my pipes based on sound or looks. I'd change them bc I'm a power whore trying to get all I can get, lol! I'll Prolly end up doing Freedom pipes in the future.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
We all have Different taste in sound BT, I like the way my bike sounds with the setup. It's definitely deeper at idle and just gets more rowdy everywhere really. Personally, I wouldn't change my pipes based on sound or looks. I'd change them bc I'm a power whore trying to get all I can get, lol! I'll Prolly end up doing Freedom pipes in the future.
Yep Freedom Performance are the bestest balance of
show and go and sound available.
But I'm biased:)

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts