Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of tire threads here but most focus on mileage and price.
Living in FL, I want the BEST rear tire for wet weather (as it needs replacing soon).
I am not impressed with the E3s in the rain....

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Metzler (rear) has a lot of grip in the wet ....
NightDragon on the front and plenty grip when braking too, hope next time i can find this tire for the rear too ....

That's the 2 tires I'm using and it rain's a lot here too ...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, I live in the wet northwest. My experience with E3's on both a GW and my CCT were they were OK in the wet, but noisy and the front cupped easily. However, I did get 17k out of both sets. Have Avon on the front, now. Very good performance in dry and wet, so far. Running Darkside Yokahama on the rear. I have found the CT to be superior in the wet when you want to stay planted. It does give a different ride and if you have not given a CT some thought, there is plenty to read on the CT subject both here and other cycle sites. Good luck on your decision.
Regards, Jim

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
E3's sucked (1 set), Bridgestones (2 sets) were pretty good, Avons (2 sets) are really good. In case you want wear history too the E3's lasted the most miles, the Avons last the least miles (2000 less than the E3's) and the Bridgestones were in the middle. Note that if they use seashells in the pavement like some of the places I've been in FL your results may vary with wet roads and mileage.

·
Premium Member
13,051 Posts
Well, I live in the wet northwest. My experience with E3's on both a GW and my CCT were they were OK in the wet, but noisy and the front cupped easily. However, I did get 17k out of both sets. Have Avon on the front, now. Very good performance in dry and wet, so far. Running Darkside Yokahama on the rear. I have found the CT to be superior in the wet when you want to stay planted. It does give a different ride and if you have not given a CT some thought, there is plenty to read on the CT subject both here and other cycle sites. Good luck on your decision.
Regards, Jim
I agree with giving the darkside rear car tire a looksee. If traction is more important than mileage longevity; take a look at this tire. I got about 16k out of the run flat version they don't make anymore and it looks like they are phasing this size out so if you try it and like it you might want to buy another for later and long as it isn't too much later. Motorcycle tires have an 8 year shelf life then they are done.

What I liked best about this size is it feels just like a MC tire. I'm currently running a 195 wide tire because they come in run flat and I like the extra security.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Lots of tire threads here but most focus on mileage and price.
Living in FL, I want the BEST rear tire for wet weather (as it needs replacing soon).
I am not impressed with the E3s in the rain....
I dont have much experience on the Victory as I have only had it since the first of this year. But the bike previous to this one was a Yamaha RSV, big heavy touring bike so similar. It came with E-3 on it (bias ply) I didnt car for them much, especially in wet. Rear seemed to lock easy and was cupped and noisy. It did have miles on it and I think the guy didnt run the correct air pressures in them. But the tread pattern did not have any criss cross pattern across center of tire to allow water to escape. So when I changed I went to the Michelin commander 2. I really liked they way they felt in the wet when I had to ride. I got 17k out of them. After those I tried some Shinko 777. They were decent tires, but I have no gauge of miles as I only put a few thousand miles on before trading bikes.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I had a set of Michelin Commander II's on last season, I had issues with them being bias-ply and off size on the XC but they did have excellent wet road manners. I switched to Avon Cobras for this year, I hear they are also great for wet weather but I'm still up for the winter and have not had a chance to run them yet.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yea not having to replace mine yet. So my knowledge of who makes exact fit tires for this bike is not good. Then when you throw a radial tire into the mix it probably trims that field down some too.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Cross bikes use the same front and rear tires as 2008 and up 1800 Goldwings so finding the correct size tires is pretty easy. Also note that since many GW riders put a lot of miles on it's also helpful to see what thier forums say about wet road handling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Been moving some Night Dragons already this year, people are stocking up.
I don't see our size (rear tire) as an option :confused:
Did I miss something or do they go to a different size?
Also not radials....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I agree with giving the darkside rear car tire a looksee. If traction is more important than mileage longevity; take a look at this tire. I got about 16k out of the run flat version they don't make anymore and it looks like they are phasing this size out so if you try it and like it you might want to buy another for later and long as it isn't too much later. Motorcycle tires have an 8 year shelf life then they are done.

What I liked best about this size is it feels just like a MC tire. I'm currently running a 195 wide tire because they come in run flat and I like the extra security.
I'll vouch for that tire in the rain as well as on ice and in snow.
Ran one on the hack this year. It doesn't lean of course so i can't speak much on handling .

For grip it is amazing during the first half of it's life. It's a two compound tire. First 70% is a very high traction snow tire compound, heavily siped that gives great traction in the rain or snow and ice. The last 30% wears pretty good as it is an all season compound. Since I wore it into the all season compound I haven't got caught in the rain much. But when it was new it went through deep standing water and on ice and snow like nothing else I have run. The snow tire part does wear much quicker than the all season, but absolutely great traction in the wet while it is there. Personally I don't darkside two wheelers but if you do that is a great tire in the wet.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Good tread is a must for rain.
I like to get the most I can out of a tyre and down to the TWI if its dry.
But if theres rain around off they come.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts