Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does one typically attach a standard touring bag to the XCT when the trunk is on? On my VTX I have a passenger backrest and luggage rack with no trunk, so it is really easy to put the bag on the luggage rack and strap it to the backrest. With the trunk on the XCT the best spot seems to be on the passenger seat (assuming 1-up riding) but it doesn't look like there are many places to strap the bag to. Are there some slots built into the trunk for the bag's straps? Something simple to put them around? Or is the trunk so cavernous that you folks just put a duffel bag in the trunk itself?

I just got my XC in November and don't have the trunk yet so I can't play around with options... Figured I'd ask here to see what others do.

By the way, I'm referring to something like this type of bag:

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I bought the Victory bag that fits the luggage rack and so far, I have not had (in 30,000 miles) had to use any other bag. However, I do strap my rolled up leather jacket and sometimes a cooler on the back seat. When I do that...I bungee the coat/cooler to the trunk mounting bracket and it works fine.

For a big bag like that, I would strap it down with the bungee cords to the bracket and then also over the top and to the luggage rack. That should secure it pretty good.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I use a bungee cargo net. You can hook it under the trunk on either side to the brackets that hold the trunk on. I also carry a cooler sitting on the passenger seat and fasten it the same way. Never had an issue at all. I think I got the bungee cargo nets at Wallyworld.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You're solo......you want the two saddlebags, the trunk, AND this bag? That's a lot of stuff.........how are you going to open the trunk with this on the back seat?

I'd try packing smarter, lose the bag, or not buy the trunk.

·
Registered
149 Posts
CCT here, also. I normally camp with a 2 man tent, lg sleeping bag( covered by a 30gal plastic bag) and lg 3 1/2 inch thick sleeping pad( us old guys gotta have our comfies) roll strapped on the passenger seat. I use 4 bungees. Two go over from hand rail to hand rail. Two, front to back, hand rail to trunk rack. NO PROBLEM opening the trunk for access! It will open about 1/2 way with this setup, depending on how high your stuff sits in the passenger seat.
Come to think of it, have not had to strap anything on top of the trunk rack, except my little Sturgis devil ducky:D:D
Cheers, Jim

·
Registered
827 Posts
You're solo......you want the two saddlebags, the trunk, AND this bag? That's a lot of stuff.........how are you going to open the trunk with this on the back seat?

I'd try packing smarter, lose the bag, or not buy the trunk.
I agree.

I don't agree with bungee cords. Bungee cord hooks can pop off, hit you in the eye or go into the rear wheel. They also flex; which makes the wiggle and or fall off.

I use ratchet tie-down straps. I put the hook over the the saddlebag quick release knob on each side and loop the strap around the back. Each bike is a bit different where the straps will go. I also sometimes use a loop of 3/8" nylon rope in some places too.

When my wife and I are traveling we do both motel and camp, so we have lots of gear. The tent, pads and sleeping bags are on top of the trunk. The trunk is over half empty, so if we want to put the jackets in it there is room. She gets the right bag and I get the left.

When traveling alone (no wife) sometime I use my dry bag on the seat, sometimes just put my lightweight sleeping bag in the trunk.

You only need to bring 3 or 4 changes of clothes, no matter how many days you are traveling. Try to bring an extra of pants that are not jeans (some lightweight type of fabric).

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I have no idea how much room I'd need compared to what the XC offers since I just got it. I know the XC will have WAY more than my VTX with leather saddlebags does, however, I still want a quick-detach carry-able bag for my clothes to bring into the hotel at night. No matter how big the saddlebags and trunk are they are fixed to the bike. So unless I can fit an actual duffel in the trunk along with my helmet then I need the touring bag along.

I don't like the look of the racks on top of the saddlebags or the trunk so I likely won't put them on the bike.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I have no idea how much room I'd need compared to what the XC offers since I just got it. I know the XC will have WAY more than my VTX with leather saddlebags does, however, I still want a quick-detach carry-able bag for my clothes to bring into the hotel at night. No matter how big the saddlebags and trunk are they are fixed to the bike. So unless I can fit an actual duffel in the trunk along with my helmet then I need the touring bag along.

I don't like the look of the racks on top of the saddlebags or the trunk so I likely won't put them on the bike.

Thanks,
Rob
Purchase bag liners from Cee Baileys or Victory or TLC, etc....

·
Registered
827 Posts
Your t bag will probably fit on the back seat. Run a strap crisis cross across the top and you are ready to travel.

If you do your tie down just right you will have a backrest.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Two-up or solo, I like to keep the trunk pretty free, in order to put one or two helmets in when stopping at restaurants, etc.

Two-up, I have a light-weight-material bag (from RoadGear: http://roadgear.com/euro-sport-jumbo-hauler-p-72.html ). This gets attached to a trunk rack. Being up high and far back, that's for light stuff only, e.g., clothes.

Solo, for multi-week trips, I have a heavy-duty bag (from RiderWarehouse: http://www.aerostich.com/medium-motofizz-camping-seat-bag.html ). This bag has all sorts of straps and netting built in. (And I highly recommend it, if anyone's interested; I even take this bag in the car or on plane trips.) That bag goes on the passenger portion.

For those trips, two things come in handy for me:

1) The Victory grab handles. These are nicely made, and they are extremely robust. (And my wife uses them, too). I strongly recommend that you add them. And if you ever drop the bike, they come in handy as a grab point when walking backward with your butt against the seat, to lift it up.

2) On the trunk support, I replaced a pair of M8-1.25x20mm bolts with ...40mm ones, with some track-stand "bobbins" mounted on them (see pic). I use these for rear attachment points for that MotoFizz bag, which has sewn-in loops on some of the quick-detach straps.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts

Thanks,
Rob
First thought is Saddle bag duffles, the ones that are designed to fit in the bag. pack em, and when you stop pull them out aand you are good to go. On my XCT the truck is plenty for a week long trip for two and I take the trunk bag in at the end of the day and put both helmets in the trunk.

Something to consider, carfully look at what you are bringing along. most folks bring 50 to 70% too much stuff and never really use it. If you go on a long trip there are hotels and motels with washing machines, plan on having to wash clothes.

what to bring depends on where you are going and how you plan to ride. If you are an all weather type you might need a few more things, if you a sunny day only much less. The XCT trunk bag is bigger than most rollerboards you take on an airline flight.

Also look at what you have on the bike to begin with, if you haven't been in the saddle bag lately you might be suprised at what you find in there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for the additional tips. That last item looks very promising. I'm sure the passenger grab handles would do well too as tie-down points, but at $299 I'm not up for that.

I appreciate the info about the bag liners. I'll check them out too. But at present I just want to use what I already own if I can make it work.

Rob

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks wspollack for the idea. I went with that approach now that I have my trunk. I found a nice, low-profile spool set (Factory Effex swingarm spools) with M8 bolts that work great. I think they were designed for Suzuki sport bikes. I think these will work well as one bungee attachment point.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Thanks wspollack for the idea. I went with that approach now that I have my trunk. I found a nice, low-profile spool set (Factory Effex swingarm spools) with M8 bolts that work great. I think they were designed for Suzuki sport bikes. I think these will work well as one bungee attachment point.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob: you're welcome, glad I could help.

Yours look even better than mine, and the ones I used (track-stand "bobbins" for a Triumph) were for M6 bolts, so I had to drill them out to accept M8 bolts. Nice work -- I think everyone with an XCT or XC with added trunk should follow your example.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the compliments. Here's a link to the ones I purchased in case anyone else wants them:

Factory Effex Swingarm Spools

I believe I chose the Honda or Suzuki size, which is listed as 8mm. The bolt ends up going just about as far into the trunk support as the stock support bolts and is perfect, thread-wise.

Rob

1 - 20 of 24 Posts