Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stick with the SOS pads mixed with a bit of elbow grease. If you can keep any additives on the whitewall and completely off of the sidewall or tread then the cosmetics should be find. Adding other reactive chemicals can and do negatively impact the rubber and can create a problem on the only thing touching the road at 60 mph. If your mileage is such that you change your tires every year the damage may not build up but it you're hanging on to them for a couple of years there will be damage that may not be evident to you.

As for bleach in particular you have to remember that it does what it is supposed to by oxygenating and destroying things at the molecular level. At strength it has been shown to dry out rubber so hopefully you're diluting it in the soapy water to be just a bit above the amount in drinking water. If you want an example just buy one of those bleach based toilet cleaners that sit in the tank. You will start going through rubber flappers at about 3 times the speed you used to. You can buy longer lasting flappers but they are made of silicone, not rubber. Just as an interesting FYI, chlorine and other chemical based bleach makes things brighter by destroying and changing the molecule so it doesn't absorb light. Whatever filth or muck you used it on in your toilet, your tire or even that stuff you squirt on your carpet, the dirt didn't magically go anywhere. It's still there, it just reflects all the light.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive been using the stuff from meguires that you use to make your car tires shiny. Before i start getting flammed for this, im very very careful to not get it on the actual riding portion of the tire.
I spray a small amount on a rag and scrub the whitewall portion of the tire. It works awsome!!! Once the white is clean, i wipe the tire down with a damp rag and the tires look brand new.

·
13,003 Posts
Scotch brite sponge pad would be better then a sos pad

·
Registered
554 Posts
Had WWW on my Deluxe and tried all the standard cleaners and finally settled on this combination: Shout Gel in a spray bottle, Scotch Brite sponge and Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Wet the tire and spray on the Shout Gel. Scrub with the Scotch Brite and then rinse. Finish off with a damp Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Keeps the whitewall white and looking like new.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Diesel, can you elaborate on the WD40? You said you used it on the whole bike, were you talking the painted parts as well?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts