Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To follow up on my previous post, Any suggestions on the most affordable alternative in aftermarket slip ons? I gotta get some better exhaust sound on my 2013 XR.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
If you have a 1-1/8" hole saw on hand, this will be free. If not, it will cost the price of one. Attach a 20" extension rod to that hole saw and send it up your mufflers and cut out a paper thin metal baffle with it. The resultant sound is perfect for me--my neighbors don't know when I'm leaving and yet I can make her bark when I roll on the throttle hard. At constant speed, all I hear is a purr. I saved 6 or 7 hundred $ doing that, money I can use for other things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input, I may give that a try, cause FREE is in my wheelhouse. However, the possibility of voiding my warranty gives me caution......

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recommend going into the Cross Country/Cross Roads section and looking for a write-up by Pops, as his way is quick, easy, afforable and the sound is excellent. I did one and others have as well, but it was a bit more involved technique, read, more cutting and welding than was necessary as I had not seen Pops way. I love the "Thrush Mod" as its called.

P.S. For anyone wondering the Thrush glasspack and the Cherry Bomb are NOT the same. One only needs to look inside the perforated tube to see the differences, the Cherry Bomb WILL be louder. The Thrush in my opinion is the perfect tone.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
For anyone wondering the Thrush glasspack and the Cherry Bomb are NOT the same. One only needs to look inside the perforated tube to see the differences, the Cherry Bomb WILL be louder. The Thrush in my opinion is the perfect tone.
I have a drill and a hole saw and know how to use them. I don't have a welder, nor do I know how to weld. So drilling out the baffles is a no brainer for me. Betcha the sound I got is very similar to what those Thrush produce and it only took me a few minutes to accomplish. cheers

·
Registered
12,151 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I can only speak Visions and X bikes. If you mufflers are like those, then the answer is yes.:confused:
RICZ: Did you leave the mufflers on the bike?

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
RICZ: Did you leave the mufflers on the bike?
Yes. There's no need to remove them. I like the easy and cheap ways to do things and get the same results that others took hours and dollars to do. But that's just me.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Yes. There's no need to remove them. I like the easy and cheap ways to do things and get the same results that others took hours and dollars to do. But that's just me.:rolleyes:
I agree with that. But Pop's thrush thread really has me thinking. It probably wouldn't take much for me to have someone reweld the mufflers after I stuff thrushes in there...

Then again, a hole saw is a lot cheaper than 2 thrushes and a weld job lol

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
I agree with that. But Pop's thrush thread really has me thinking. It probably wouldn't take much for me to have someone reweld the mufflers after I stuff thrushes in there...

Then again, a hole saw is a lot cheaper than 2 thrushes and a weld job lol
More than one way to tie a cat's tail, as they say. Here's a suggestion for you, Broggy; Try the cheap and easy hole saw thing first and if you don't care for the results, then go with another route, like Pop's, since that will waste the OEM innards anyway.thumb up

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
RICZ, I dig that you got bragging rights for cheapest solution but I figger for a benjamin I get to thump my chest saying I got glasspacks on my motorcycle. I have talked a lot of smack about my rides over time but that little tidbit there gives me as much wood as some of my meanest tricks.

To each his own but after the money down the well in pipes and pipe benders and sleeves and tape and paint and chrome and black chrome and gaskets and ceramics and baffles and trick shields and tickets and impound fees and nights spent slicing and welding tubestock, a hundred dollar set of glasspacks is Pops dream come true.

Any bike I own going forward that doesn't accommodate the stuffed can glasspack mod I will always have to qualify my affection for it with
the non sequitur "Man this bike means the world to me except that I can't ram a set of glasspacks up it's tailpipes like my old Cross Country." No matter where else my path goes them glasspacks set that bike apart from all other bikes I have had and that's what I'm going to remember and talk about most when I'm reminiscing.

Hell, I'm putting that Thrush decal on the side cover and I don't normally do that for anybody. What you going to do my friend, put a DeWalt decal on yours? (OK that was a cheap shot but I'm just funning wit you.)

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Pop, my apologies if I offended--I wasn't on that path. Just trying to point out what a cheapskate I be. Well, maybe not cheap, but quite frugal. I envy the hell out of anyone who can weld and if I possessed that ability, I too might have gone a similar route as you. Granted, I have no idea how your bike sounds and the thing of utmost importance is that it pleases you, as does my bike's sound satisfies me. Especially after spending less than $20 to achieve that goal.
I come from meager beginnings and although I have, due to much scrimping through the decades, became solvent, I still find it difficult to spend for certain things and sound is one of them. How-some-ever, there are those areas in which I spend way too freely, like for a top notch, great performing, reliable, comfortable and gorgeous Victory Cross Roads motorcycle.:)
I'll wager that after hearing your bike, I would pay you handsomely(?) to do that for mine, would we be residing in the same area code.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Now, why can't more people have a civil discussion like this? Seems that most folks immediately resort to snark and name-calling. Bravo, good show.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Now, why can't more people have a civil discussion like this? Seems that most folks immediately resort to snark and name-calling. Bravo, good show.
You didn't read between the lines Broggy...Pop and I really hate each others guts.:puke:

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
Just kidding, Pop. Really...just kidding,heh, heh. Hey, where can I get a couple DeWalt decals?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts