Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, so in my mixed back of discounted Victory goodness, I ordered the beveled shift linkage. Only problem is, there are no install instructions. Only video I can find is the one for the Octane. not mu help for my XR.

The linkage has bolts, bushings, flat washers and spring washers, and I have no clue how to get this on the XR. Any advice??

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
Right, so in my mixed back of discounted Victory goodness, I ordered the beveled shift linkage. Only problem is, there are no install instructions. Only video I can find is the one for the Octane. not mu help for my XR.

The linkage has bolts, bushings, flat washers and spring washers, and I have no clue how to get this on the XR. Any advice??
I don't know about the part you have, but would it be as simple as looking at the one you have and duplicating the order? Take off one end, see how the washers/screws/etc are used?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
That thing appears to be non adjustable relative to length. I never heard of such a thing! The shift rod HAS to be adjustable so you can raise or lower the shifter. I would hazard a guess that you can use it IF the Heim joints centers are EXACTLY where your present one is set at. Otherwise, you have a pretty metal shaft.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The beveled shift linkage is not adjustable. you will have to loosen the splined adapter that goes onto the transmission gear spline and rotate it until the beveled linkage fits. Keep in mind that you maintain shifter height while figuring all this out. I hope that makes sense. I am not sure about the washer stack up....your on your own there.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I got it on. No need to rotate the splined adapter. I moved the shift arm assembly back to the farthest back of the 3 mounting points on the floorboard.

For anyone interested in this here is the order:

Front:
Bolt -> Shift Arm-> Bushing -> Shift linkage -> Spring Washer -> Washer -> Stock Nut

Back:
Bolt -> Bushing -> Shift linkage -> Spring Washer -> Washer -> Stock mounting point (whatever it's called)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@visionjohnny do you want a pic of the linkage installed, or close up of the bolts/washers?

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The beveled shift linkage is not adjustable. you will have to loosen the splined adapter that goes onto the transmission gear spline and rotate it until the beveled linkage fits. Keep in mind that you maintain shifter height while figuring all this out. I hope that makes sense. I am not sure about the washer stack up....your on your own there.
@rustychevelle I tried this last night after sitting on the bike when I got home with my duty boots on (steel toe). The peg was significantly higher than it needed to be. I'll do a video this weekend for anyone who is getting these linkages from Victory or also from Witchdoctors. There is an easier way to do it with everything assembled, just loosened. Now I have ~1" between the peg and my boots as opposed to ~3", and the shifter arm is in the middle mounting hole on the floorboard instead of the back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts