Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My name is Johnny, I am 28, and i see that i have made one of the biggest mistakes i have ever made, and 'WILL NEVER', forgive myself for it,

In 2012 When i had the means to do so, i purchased my first motorcycle "Harely Davidson" of course right? why not? its shiny right, "Even Before getting my motorcycle endorsement on my license" towing it home, Insuring it and parked it in the garage until i was entirely legal. seeing it in the garage everyday for an entire week, waiting until the weekend, when i was scheduled to take the "Motorcycle Safety Course" required by Texas state law before receiving the endorsement.
I passed the Course with 100% accuracy in the Written and Rider Skills test, Attributing it to what i learned by riding a dirt-bike off-road only a few times.

Finaly getting home, license in hand, I rolled this beautiful machine down the driveway, and took off down the street, For the next few months it was absolutely amazing to be riding a motorcycle. That is, until the first breakdown, with the Voltage regulator literally on fire, "OEM part failure not a wiring problem" well "! 1 Stator, 3 voltage Regulators, 1 Battery, New-Cams New-Camplate, Pushrods, Lifters, Bearings, high Flow oil-pump, Thundermax ECM"Because Harley could not seem to tune it right without leaning it so far out my sparkplugs were white, Exhaust manifolds, Radio and over $5,000 Spent on All Aftermarket High quality upgrades TO simply eliminate OEM, broken or failing poorly engineered piles of garbage. I realized, that purchasing a Harley Davidson, Is one of, if not THE WORST Mistakes i have ever made. Only now, Years later, and researching, realize that the reliable bike I'm trying to create. already exists.
And... I should have bought a Victory.

I look forward to one day soon, selling/trading in my "Assembled~ in America" Harley Davidson, For a bike i will actually enjoy riding. A Victory Cross Country 8-Ball.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
Hello, My name is Johnny, I am 28, and i x x x x x .
Ha ha ha ha classic beginning, and a GOOD story, did you test ride some types of Vics already ??

What made you choose a vic CC 8-bal ??

Edit= oh i see this is also your first post, WELCOME and after your second post relying to this you could attach a picture of this favorite CC 8-ball ??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea i have test ridden an 8ball, Everything about it was just, honestly, better, smoother throttle, much more responsive, greater power, smoother riding, better ride position.
However in all honestly, but that was not enough to make me want to give up my bike. The Company Harley Davidson quality or lack there of*, was the reason they Lost me as a returning customer, I cannot willingly support them in any way with the overpriced and underwhelming and poorly engineered quality of a Harley, "which Victory "chooses" to do in their approach at making a reliable powerful motorcycle, Lets face it , they don't have to overbuild their bikes to last, but they do, and that wins my respect for them.
when i put a dial indicator on the end of my crankshaft and i read 9 thousandths run out and realized i could not switch the hydraulic tensioners a gear drive just to delete the "Engineered to fail" cam-chest, i spat on the damn thing when i realized that they chose to do that, "its not a defect, that's how its built. I ,maby, I'm the A-hole customer, how dare i question their methods, they have been around over 100 years, what do i know... lol

"Thanks ! I look forward to talking to people on the forms about them" and also, as for the picture, I have not made the decision on when to go buy one yet, I really want to get rid of my bagged ultra classic, and sell off the stuff i removed like the tourpack. But i have my eye on a Flat-Black 8ball, I am not sure if they offer it in that color, but i would be more then willing to have it done, confident that they motor wont grenade itself and loose the bike and investment all together, as is the constant worry on the back of my mind with the the Harley, Even tho i check it end to end or have it checked, to hopefully catch the next disaster before it happens. I took it on a 3000 mile road trip and i can't tell you how nervous i was about the possability of having to spend a few days in the middle of New Mexico or something if the bike decided to implode on me at the wrong time, oh and some Bonus story for yall. 180 miles at 70 mph will fill the rocker box with oil and force it out of the bolts to then spray all over your transmission and saddlebags... i thought i blew the damn box seal or soemthing, or the headgasket, then some old squirly-eyed hardcore HD rider just kinda said, "Oh yea that happens every time" the oil drain down passages get plugged with its own OIL!~ when you maintain a highway speed RPM from the air pocket pulsing from the pistons moving up and down? lol the damn thing pukes its guts when you ride it on the open highway, "Again, Built that way..."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I even send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs every time i change fluids, just to keep an eye on everything. I think i should stop crying about it and just deal for now lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are some Harley riders that are pleased with their Harleys as far as mechanical issues but the majority of them are not pleased about the maintenance cost. I started riding bikes over 50 years ago and have never had a Harley because of what I read and hear. I always had Japanese bikes until my 2009 Victory Kingpin Low and now my 2012 Victory Cross Roads and if I get another bike, it'll probably be a Victory Cross Country Tour Trike because of my age. My 54 years son, Pete Jr., is looking to get a bike and I told him to get a Victory or Honda. Good Luck to you, have fun out there and stay safe, respect that bike, no matter what make it is.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Rode HD for 40+ Years last Bike was a 2009 Ultra Before Getting 2012 Cross Country .. While loved the Ultra's Looks, Sound and Ride .. I didn't love seeing it go into the Shop 14 times over a 3 Year Period .. Almost 3 Years and 60,000 Miles Later only issue ever had with the XC is the Right Hand Saddlebag Latch which was resolved through Warranty and took about 10 mins to fix at no cost ..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Rode HD for 40+ Years last Bike was a 2009 Ultra Before Getting 2012 Cross Country .. While loved the Ultra's Looks, Sound and Ride .. I didn't love seeing it go into the Shop 14 times over a 3 Year Period .. Almost 3 Years and 60,000 Miles Later only issue ever had with the XC is the Right Hand Saddlebag Latch which was resolved through Warranty and took about 10 mins to fix at no cost ..
AMEN !!!!!!! I rest my case.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Welcome to the Forum , and hopefully soon to VICTORY .:wink

·
Registered
103 Posts
"I realized, that purchasing a Harley Davidson, Is one of, if not THE WORST Mistakes i have ever made. "

Sounds like I owned Johnny's bike as well, my h.d. was more mechanical, but same type of experiences. I love my xc.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you like the 8ball XC you should ride the Indian Dark Horse. If fit and finish are important to you, I don't think you'll be happy with the 8ball XC. I have the XC in black, with abs and radio. The 8ball is just a cheaper version of my ride. When I rode the Indian Dark horse, I immediately wished I had waited a year for it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If you like the 8ball XC you should ride the Indian Dark Horse. If fit and finish are important to you, I don't think you'll be happy with the 8ball XC. I have the XC in black, with abs and radio. The 8ball is just a cheaper version of my ride. When I rode the Indian Dark horse, I immediately wished I had waited a year for it.
If that Indian Dark horse had a hard bagged twin brother and a front windscreen / radio / fairing, i may have to take a look at it.

I Am leaning more toward the Magnum, I am spoiled from having Cruise Control and a serious audio system on my HD, And i have told myself that my next bike WILL HAVE ABS!,
so this is perhaps what i may be going with, Even if I'm not a big fan of the paint schemes.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I rode HD for 30+ years, mostly trouble free. My 2002 Ultra though was the biggest piece of crap ever. From consistently over heating and shutting down even after replacing the circuit breaker on recall the first time and then a couple times myself to doing an insert on my spark plug hole after the plug just blew out of the head. That bike left me stranded more times than I care to count.

My Victory XCT on the other hand has been virtually trouble free.

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
And i always wanted a harley .... Guess that will be off the bucketlist ..... :D

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've never wanted a Harley, so it was easy for me to get something else. I don't find Harleys good looking at all, unless you throw some money at them. Even after that, you still have them ugly squared off saddle bags that don't flow with the rest of the bike. They can keep their heritage.

·
Premium Member
12,994 Posts
If that Indian Dark horse had a hard bagged twin brother and a front windscreen / radio / fairing, i may have to take a look at it.

I Am leaning more toward the Magnum, I am spoiled from having Cruise Control and a serious audio system on my HD, And i have told myself that my next bike WILL HAVE ABS!,
so this is perhaps what i may be going with, Even if I'm not a big fan of the paint schemes.
Next year it might. They are selling very well. Saw one yesterday that had red rims, red hand painting pin striping, a red trimmed Corbin seat. Looked amazing. When he started it up I was impressed by the sound. He had Rush mufflers on it. His riding buddy had a Classic with factory Stage 1 muffs that did not impress me. Still a nice bike though.

One thing I liked about the stock Indians when I test rode them is they had the power my XC has with the cams and all the performance upgrades.

Basically all they need is an exhaust upgrade. Of course going with an intake and tuning upgrade will make them even better.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love my XC but if I didn't already have so much into it; I would consider a trade to a Vintage or Chieftain. I have more into it financially than a new Roadmaster lists for.

Something I recently learned about the big twin Indians is the early 2014 had hotter (more power) cams but they tended to make a bit more noise when not under load. Certainly something any of us could tolerate easily.

They toned the cams down for the later 14's and newer only because of the extra noise. The cams are made by S&S and have a built-in compression release for starting the engine.

·
12,970 Posts
All bikes have parts that fail or break. Its not the manufacturers fault its the vendor that made them.
It sounds like the shop and the mechanic were not the best when it came to your motor.

Good Luck on whatever you buy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts