6,041 Posts
Awsome
Road trip report ?

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
supposed to have them. i might need to shorten them a lil bit.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it took me long enough to get pics and fig out how to post. the trailer is a home made from an indivd so i dont know make etc except it was first titled in 2014. the orig spare was a 1974 and the other 2 were 2003. the 74 was in better shape than the others. now it has new tires,repacked bearings,new chains and hooks,new lights. high vis yellow wheels.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
its first actual trip will be to tulsa OK in 3 months. so i needed to get stuff squared now before then.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
it was for weight. i am slowly adding weight to it to see how it will pull. so far so good. going slow as far as adding weight to the load so i can adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Looks awesome....enjoy the trip and travel safe!!

Rob

·
Registered
146 Posts
You should have no problem hauling that.

Just make sure to keep the air pressure in the trailer tires below 30 lbs PSI, or trailer will bounce a lot, and keep some weight on the tongue end if you have a shorter tongue, or it will sway. Make sure you cross the chains underneath of tongue. You can wrap them around each other a couple of times to shorten them up.
I regularly load my trailer that I made from a HF trailer kit up with 150 -175 lbs of gear and have hauled it over 45,000 km at speeds up to 95 mph with no issues what so ever..
With the engine braking compression of the Vic, plus their good brakes, stopping it loaded shouldn't pose a problem, but keep some distance from the vehicle in front of you!!

I'm heading out on a two week trip tomorrow with mine, down the BRP, Great Smokey Mountains NP etc., with my turnaround point being Atlanta, GA, where I'll be visiting a friend.

Don't let the Wolf in 'Sheep's Clothing' fool you!

Dusty

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nice job.

All trailers get unstable when tongue weight gets too light. They can be a real issue if the load is heavy and dense and shifts behind the axle causing the tongue to be pulling the hitch up rather than pushing down on it.

I would install a few tie down points inside the trailer near the front and throw a bungee spider or small bungee net inside for use when the trailer is partially loaded to keep everything where you placed it when you loaded it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i did put 2 pieces of galv angle iron with holes in it 1 in front of wheel well and 1 behind for such use.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wish the hell i could find a shock lightweight enough for my trailer. or even a flat locking hinge. the auto parts places didnt have any with under 60 lbs pressure needed to close it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
A couple of options to try. The locking hinge thing, I think I know what your angling at. The arm slides inside of each other and when it hits limit it flips a lock out and holds. Maybe a camper store? On the shocks, I am guessing you talking the ones that hold up hoods and deck lids. New ones are 1)Pricey 2) really strong. I dont know what your lid weighs but maybe a u-pull it yard and a slightly used strut of a smaller car say a Honda accord or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts