Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a bike for more two up riding and my 1200 sporty doesn't do the job. Road a Fat Boy for a couple days in Phoenix, loved it except for the lack of power. Really interested in the 1700 Kaw but after reading the blogs on that, quality seems to be an issue. Test road the Victory King Pin today, what a nice ride and good looks. Dealer was really cool told me to take it for a ride, he didn't even ask to see my license or anything. Just said take it for a ride you will like it. Not only did I like it, I loved it. Great suspension and great pulling away power. The dealer said that they don't have any in the shop because nothing goes wrong with them. How true is that? So far I haven't read anything on this forum that scares me. I like the looks of the vegas better than the kingpin but the dealer I went to didn't have any. I am going to ride to a different dealer after work tomorrow and see if they have any vegas's. It looks like the vegas is the kingpin but with different fendors? Hammer looks sharp too.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
As a Vic mechanic I spend most of my time hanging chrome, changing oil, and building fast motors. Very little in the way of actual repairs.

Vegas has conventional forks, a 21x2.5 front wheel, and driver foot pegs. A KP has inverted forks with a 18x3.5 wheel, and driver has floor boards.

·
Registered
163 Posts
As a Vic mechanic I spend most of my time hanging chrome, changing oil, and building fast motors. Very little in the way of actual repairs.

Vegas has conventional forks, a 21x2.5 front wheel, and driver foot pegs. A KP has inverted forks with a 18x3.5 wheel, and driver has floor boards.
If ANYBODY knows it would be KevinX....He is a GREAT mechanic and did my cams for my Vision...The Vision (17,000 in a year so far) has been problem free!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Please ride them both as they ride quite differently. I did and I bought the Kingpin - love it. Also, I think that the Kingpin might be the better bike for two up riding. IMO - the Vegas is better for looking good, the Kingpin is better for riding.

·
Registered
396 Posts
mike,
test ride all the bikes you are intrested in,but i think you will find as i did the
kingpin is a very comfortable bike,and more suited for two up riding in the middleweight
class, unless you want to step up to one of the cross bikes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have to admit that all the vics are great bikes with Awsome power stock. I like my hammer alot my wife does ride with me but her seat sucks. We have had no problems with the bike. I bought it new in 2005 when the hammers came out. But as far as two up goes, I am going to pick up a Cross Country for the both of us.

Hope my 2 cents help

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rode the Vegas today and I didn't like it. Wanted to buy the Kingpin but the dealer came up with a ridiculous price without applying the rebate. They may have just ruined a sale. Hate the whole buying part. I hate sales people that want to haggle start high and work down to the best price, just give me the best price, don't they understand that buyers are educated now!!! Kevin, thanks for the great input, the kingpin's suspension is definitely alot different than the vegas and the sales guy said they were the same.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mike - where do you live?

We have a great Victory Dealer in Albuquerque, NM and he has KingPins. Might be a nice ride home or great place to start a vacation and tour of the western skies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Cincy. So its quite a journey to Albuquerque! Flew out to Phoenix in the spring this year to visit family and rented a Fat Boy for a couple days. OMG what a nice area to ride. THe desert was in bloom and took that ride up in the mourntains north of Scottsdale. Those roads were so fun to ride on. Nobody for miles and nice twisties. I scraped the floorboards on every turn. You have nice riding weather and great roads out west for sure!!!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Search for a nice used Kingpin Touring, I found an 06 w/2100 miles for 9k, in MINT condition. The previous owner added a ton of options. For 2, you can't beat the Kingpin...I can run circles around an HD w/2. thumb up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can get a great deal on an brand new '08 for 12k that has wimpshield, bags and trunk. Don't necessarily want all that stuff but I can pull it off. I looked for used kingpins but this area is mainly harley country. 3 dealers within 15 min of my house.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I bought a used KP and couldn't be happier. The looks, ride and quality are all there. Haven't had a single reliability issue. I love the HD's but wouldn't give up my KP.

I would suggest you expand your search to greater Ohio and beyond. Check Craigslist.org in their motorcycle section. I am finding used 08's up here for around $10K with aftermarket stuff on them. If you want to go even older, the prices come down. You can definitely save some serious cash over new if that's what you want to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I like the sounds of a King pin and I am looking for a bike for 2. One thing that stops me... I have seen picks of it and I really like it... How to I get the pipes on both sides of the bike for larger bags? I like the look of the split pipes, and if I really want to go this rought should I just up grade to a cross roads?

·
Registered
181 Posts
de4lee
there are two aftermarket manufacturers making dual pipes. The Hackers and the RPW. I have the RPW on mine and really like them. Check them out on you tube. Kingpin RPW TrueDuals.

Of course, you could go to a CrossCountry, but more $$$ and a different bike altogether.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
No deal.

Maybe a nice bike, and for sure you could go on 6 hours rides (with stops for fuel and food) but, IMO it's priced much too high.

For a very few dollars - if you are near Southwest Airlines - you can fly to pick up a bike and have a nice ride home.

Dealers have leftover 2008s that are really priced right/rebates/new/warranty/etcetera.

How do I know - on July 3, I purchased a new 2008 Kingpin - 3123 miles later - I can tell you its a great bike. Today's ride for lunch - 200 miles.

YMMV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Reliability

I have an 05 Kingpin - I have loved this bike - 32K miles on it - Love the way it rides, the way it corners, I have been a big fan of Victorys. Have had no problem with the bike until this summer - started hearing a strange whine when slowing down , turns out to be a bearing in the transmission - $2200.00!!! WTH?
The big problem is I have started looking at other bikes - this is a major hit against Victory - But nothing looks as good as the Cross Country- I really like the looks of the bike, the 6 speed transmission -106CI Engine etc.
How likely is it that somehting like this would happen?
Anyone have any input on that?
Thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Kevin...where do you turn wrenches....would like to give you some business....you seem to be a straight shooter and not full of BS like some others I have seen......Thanks.......Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts