Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Fairing rattle over bumps , and its loud , when I tap my headlight with the end of my thumb , I can almost mimic the rattley squeak , only the headlight is tight .
2. ipod disconnect , F**king sucks !
3. While travelling on a dirt road today I hit some washboard , so I pulled in the clutch doing around 30 mph in second gear to coast through it and hear a clackity clickety clack clack , coming from my tranny like it was trapped between gears , I get this sound too when Im pulling away after start up and have to feather the clutch IE slow maneuvering through a parking area .
4. slow speed vibration , like I'm on milled pavement , turning left or right. (think its the tires but not 100% sure .
5. Rear brake SUCKS , plenty of meat on the pads but have to stand on the pedal , just to feel a bit of slow down .
6. Today while riding I was hearing a clear as a bell , whoop whoop whoop sound , seemed to be a rotational sound and sped up and slowed down in unison with the bikes speed .
I checked the belt and even 100 miles worth of heat build up the belt still had some deflection (not too tight) , and the belt looked fine .
7. When hitting small bumps in the roadway , I am getting a tinny clank coming from underneath , seems suspension related but cant really check it out as I'm on a road trip with the bike ...
There's a couple more bothersome issues but I'm getting tired now ... I'm so aggravated right now over these issues , some may be minor and some not so much , might be time to trade this thing in .:mad: P.S. I grinded my new tip into the pavement today too , real good , and didn't even care ... Whatever .:soapbox:

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
Mags, have a couple beers and relax. You're a smart guy, you'll figure it out and fix what needs fixin!cheers

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Sorry to here of your problems. Walk away and come back to it and hopefully then you can work on one problem at a time with less stress.I feel your pain. Their are many good people That are willing to help.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
1. Fairing rattle over bumps , and its loud , when I tap my headlight with the end of my thumb , I can almost mimic the rattley squeak , only the headlight is tight .
It's probably the plastic inner and outer fairing. I've long gotten used to it.
2. ipod disconnect , F**king sucks !
Sorry, can't help you there.
3. While travelling on a dirt road today I hit some washboard , so I pulled in the clutch doing around 30 mph in second gear to coast through it and hear a clackity clickety clack clack , coming from my tranny like it was trapped between gears , I get this sound too when Im pulling away after start up and have to feather the clutch IE slow maneuvering through a parking area .
I get the same kind of sound if I let my clutch out partially when I am decelerating. Don't sweat it; I've long gotten used to it.
4. slow speed vibration , like I'm on milled pavement , turning left or right. (think its the tires but not 100% sure .
Probably tires.
5. Rear brake SUCKS , plenty of meat on the pads but have to stand on the pedal , just to feel a bit of slow down .
I kind of agree with you. However, I always use the fronts to slow down from speed (much better braking power), then I switch to the rear as I come to a stop (makes handling when stopping much better). I've long gotten used to it.
6. Today while riding I was hearing a clear as a bell , whoop whoop whoop sound , seemed to be a rotational sound and sped up and slowed down in unison with the bikes speed .
I checked the belt and even 100 miles worth of heat build up the belt still had some deflection (not too tight) , and the belt looked fine .
Probably belt tension. I have it too. I've long gotten used to it.
7. When hitting small bumps in the roadway , I am getting a tinny clank coming from underneath , seems suspension related but cant really check it out as I'm on a road trip with the bike ...
**shrug**
There's a couple more bothersome issues but I'm getting tired now ... I'm so aggravated right now over these issues , some may be minor and some not so much , might be time to trade this thing in .:mad:
Hope you don't ride a Harley. Talk about bells & whistles... :D :D
P.S. I grinded my new tip into the pavement today too , real good , and didn't even care ... Whatever .:soapbox:
Nothing I can do for you on that one brother.

·
Premium Member
6,230 Posts
Its because your not using semi synthetic victory oil
:ltr:

Yes a lot of minor minuses add-up, careful and take it easy thumb up

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you broggy , I feel much better now .:crzy: So some of these issues seem to be inherent , I guess . You get that thunking rattle in your fairing too ? Makes my bike sound like a shitbox ... Maybe I'm tired and aggravated , I will have the Ol'lady rub my back tonight ... Tomorrow is another day I guess . Then there's always Mom's pancakes to look forward to in the morning .... I'm on vacation this week too , I guess that's a good thing , as long as my bike doesn't fall apart in the street ...:Dcheers

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
Yep. The fairing rattles. Haven't had a bike with a fairing that didn't. We're talking 16 years' experience on bikes with fairings ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The one thing I really miss on the Vic a center stand that picks the rear tire off the ground so you can work on it. My 1000 # Wing had one used it a lot. esp. to wash rear wheel. Not a fan of ride off stands to many bikes get knocked over with them. ( just bump them down they go). It's a pain to have to buy a table jack and front tire clamp and another jack to raise the back of the bike while on the table. I have had lots of bike with fairings both frame mount and handle bar mount most have been very good fairings. Some a little better than others. The problem with noises is the noise you hear may be coming from some were else and just sound like the fairing or lowers. Also the more you listen for a noise the louder it gets. I have a 2014 also and really like it, also had a 2012 liked it enough that I bought another XCT. I do have a few small changes I want to make, shorter windshield, PCV, Lloydz timing wheel and maybe a cam.

·
Super Moderator
6,382 Posts
I agree about the center stand. I really miss mine. Very helpful for cleaning either rim while still on the bike!

However, I bought THIS at Americade and I love it!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Place a piece of rubber between the mounting bolts for the windshield. Thick enough to to keep tension onto the plastic piece that the windshield mounts against.

Prolly needs an iPod cable

It's a dog and pocket transmission, and not a synchronized piece. Tough as nails but will clank with no load. You should here one on a lift with the tire off the ground

Yup tires

Rear brake lock up sucks, and they made you have to work on it. They do the job, but you are dealing with a 780# bike

Belt should have 33mm of deflection cold, and I'll bet you have less the 19mmx

You have a loose heat shiel, baffle, or tip

Put some air in your shock and you'll quit scraping tip. Then you will scrape boards like you are supposed to

·
Registered
12,326 Posts
To KevinX's wise input, I will add that I had front end banging when hitting bumps and it turned out to be loose steering head bearings.
Rear brake pads could be glazed--sand 'em. But I prefer a weaky rear brake cuz its too easy to lock up the rear wheel. I use EBC-HH in front and El Cheapos in the rear for that reason.

·
13,262 Posts
check sprocket bolts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
2014 Cross Country?

Dang! Yours is 10 years newer than mine. I kinda expect things are not going to be perfect with mine. Scratching, rubbing, clanking, wind buffeting, and so on.

I just keep on attempting to wrench on it
and fix what needs to be fixed. This has been the learning bike for me. I can wish this and that concerning the imperfections but as long as I can jump on it every day and it delivers, I'm a happy man.

·
Registered
332 Posts
It took me a while to figure it out but on hard bumps my clutch lever bounces around making loud clunk sounds. My fairing also rattles, my Madstad windshield made it worse. Last weekend I pulled the fairing and put weather stripping in a few places and that quieted the rattling a bunch. I'm thinking of putting a thin nylon washer in my clutch lever to stop it bouncing on big bumps.
I tried an ezpull clutch cover and it sounded like the gears were clapping at low speed with clutch pulled in so I scraped the cover.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Sorry to hear of the ailments Mags- that's the last thing anybody would want.

All I can say is; should have kept the Hammer :)

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
2014 Cross Country?

Dang! Yours is 10 years newer than mine. I kinda expect things are not going to be perfect with mine. Scratching, rubbing, clanking, wind buffeting, and so on.

I just keep on attempting to wrench on it

and fix what needs to be fixed. This has been the learning bike for me. I can wish this and that concerning the imperfections but as long as I can jump on it every day and it delivers, I'm a happy man.

Dill what kind of wrenches are you using???! I prefer wenches,

1 - 20 of 76 Posts