Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Huh , WTF ?:crzy:
Next time you lift your bike take a pry bar put under the rear tire and gently lift up. You will find that the wheel travels about 3/8 to 7/16, maybe 1/2 inch before you take the slop out of the link pin etc.

No that isn't supposed to be there on a mono shock link suspension but on Vic's it is. If you now let it down and bounce the tire up again harder you'll hear a clunk as the rocker shaft axle bounces off the top of the hole that it lives in inside the frame.

The wheel weighs in the neighborhood of 50#'s plus the weight of the caliper and the axle end of the swingarm, etc. That is a lot of weight to allow almost a 1/2 inch of acceleration before you try to control it's movement with the shock. Bounce a tire off the floor, they move pretty quick, imagine if it was going 75mph when it hit the floor or the sharp edge of a pot hole or a series of minor imperfections in the road at speed.

Anyway,
When you hit the right bump your going to hear that clunck. Now that you know what it is it's going to drive you nuts.:ltr: But take heart in the fact that they all do it.

The design of the rear suspension is good. Just the implementation was sort of sucky. That happens sometimes. Marketing, bean counters, trying to come in cheaper than HD? I only discovered it because of what happened with my new bike, but they are all made that way. Hit the right bump and it goes clunk.

I took all that slop out of mine and I'd like to think it works better but I really don't know.
I try not to ride so aggressively that I find out.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I checked mine yesterday , your measurements for play are spot on ... A forum buddy came by my house yesterday and his bike is a couple weeks old with 1200 miles on it , his is the same as mine ....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mags....I might be a little late to the maintenance party, but here's my $0.02.

When I took of my fairing to fix a wiring issue, I found that the factory missed or the PO removed all of the tie wraps for the wiring under the fairing. This resulted in connectors hanging loose and hitting or vibrating at weird times or RPMs. Once I cleaned everything up, secured the wiring and buttoned everything up, it was amazing how many annoying ticks and rattles disappeared.

Also, I to have noticed a rotational whine at low speed. Sounds to me like it's coming from the ABS sensors on the wheels. Anybody else noticed this? Any ideas on a fix?

Hope you got your sled to an acceptable place so you can enjoy the ride to Lake Placid and not have to worry about loosing pieces of your bike along the way!

cheers

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Also, I to have noticed a rotational whine at low speed. Sounds to me like it's coming from the ABS sensors on the wheels. Anybody else noticed this? Any ideas on a fix?

cheers
Louder pipes, or hearing loss. :ltr:

Couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Mags,
If you aren't used to riding a bike with a fairing that alone could be what is going on. All the noise of the bike is reflected off the fairing back to the riders ears. The better the air management the quieter it is and worse it sounds.
Yrs ago I rode a knucklehead chopper which I about lived on then. Had open primary chain drive, drag pipes etc.
The norm for the day. One day a friend had his uncles dresser and I took it for a ride down the freeway. Swear I thought it was going to come apart. Sounded like a thrashing machine. I assumed once I got to speed that it was broke and he was trying to figure out where all that clatter was coming from. Wasn't the case though. The bike was fine. It was just that you could hear the noise over the stock exhaust and the windshield reflected back to your ears. Stereos on bikes weren't even thought of then. Stock exhausts were quiet, not as quiet as they are today but not really that much louder.
I swore I would never have a dresser after that ride. Might as well own a tractor.
That knuckle sounded way quieter mechanically to me than the bagger because all you could hear where the pipes.

Being old and deaf has it's advantages. Ask my wife
:ltr:

You could switch bikes with someone and see if theirs is as loud as yours is.
If it is just turn the volume up and go riding. If anything falls off just pretend its an HD, stop go back pick it up and put it in the saddlebags. That is what they are for aren't they. cheers

But if it really is loud just pull the outer fairing which comes off quite easily on these and check the fasteners on the inner to the fork etc.
I read some place that they need to be retightened and it usually gets done when the fork oil is changed and the thing is opened up.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Thank you Joe , and everyone else ... Spent all day on the bike yesterday but didn't get to the fairing issues but realized most of my issues are the tires , I checked EVERYTHING on the bike and seems solid at this time , just rode 150 miles this morning to my parents house and bike seems good to go for now , but absolutely needs tires !

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I did notice since adding my 6 speaker super sound system , my radio is nothing but static no matter what station I'm on and my channel 3 weather that was clear as a bell is static , so now no ipod or radio ... Really ? WTF ! I should just pull the fairing and make a custom XR !:crzy:

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Mags.. Most of the time radio interference can be resolved ny putting a choke close to the source of the generated noise. If you recently added something, that might be the point. Go to radio shack and get a couple of chokes.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Last Saturday I swapped bikes with a bud and took his new water Ultra. Whatta POS.
Clank and clunk and every time I got frisky in the bumpy stuff I thought the front end was going to divorce me.
He was amazed to hear his new ride was not up to my low standards and we agreed that as much as I hate to recommend it to anybody I like, that bike needs to go back to the dealer. Part of his issue was that he is nice to his machine and I am not nice to any machine.
My cross bike has put up with my ham handed riding style for just about three years now and the score is one antenna and one glovebox hinge pin. Hell I used to have more than that rattle off my bikes just washing them in the driveway.

Ride it. Ride it like an expensive whore you bought in a cheap dive. If the rattles give you agita roll on the throttle. Whatever is rattling will either fall off or get drowned out. If it gets bad enough you will find out what it is for sure and then the hard part.Decide whether to replace it with the same thing for stupid money from the,factory or replace it for stupid money from Kuryakin or the like.

·
Super Moderator
6,404 Posts
I agree with Joe_ about the noise. Just taking my lowers off reduced the noise. I can't imagine what it would be like if I took off the fairing. I've had a fairing and lowers for the last 16 years straight.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Just got back from a 4000 mile ride on mine. Speaker grills started rattleing, I get the headlight rattle to. I have a clicking type noise in my rear shock area as well. I got to looking now that I am home it looks like my adjustable lowering link has turned a little at the top. i put mine up on the lift to change oil and I will be checking out all of the little noises to see what I can to to correct some of them. Every bikle U have owned has had a rattle of som sort. Some I can live with others i cant. I plan to go through whole bike to check out all bolts are tight.

Hang in there i saw several new harley's missing saddlebags in and aroung Sturgis. So it could be worse.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I discovered years ago on a previous bike that the annoying noise from the rear was eliminated with the switch to a solo seat. It's the first and best modification I've done to subsequent bikes.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I discovered years ago on a previous bike that the annoying noise from the rear was eliminated with the switch to a solo seat. It's the first and best modification I've done to subsequent bikes.
:ltr::ltr:

Well played good sir.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I discovered years ago on a previous bike that the annoying noise from the rear was eliminated with the switch to a solo seat.
That would stop most of the annoying noises ...:D

·
Registered
12,424 Posts
That would stop most of the annoying noises ...:D
Au contraire mom ami. The sweetest sounds I ever heard on a bike came over the intercom from girlfriend, to become fiance, to become wife while riding pillion for 200K wondrous miles. The shame of it is she no longer is back there on my rides.:(

·
Registered
27 Posts
1. Fairing rattle over bumps , and its loud , when I tap my headlight with the end of my thumb , I can almost mimic the rattley squeak , only the headlight is tight .
2. ipod disconnect , F**king sucks !
3. While travelling on a dirt road today I hit some washboard , so I pulled in the clutch doing around 30 mph in second gear to coast through it and hear a clackity clickety clack clack , coming from my tranny like it was trapped between gears , I get this sound too when Im pulling away after start up and have to feather the clutch IE slow maneuvering through a parking area .
4. slow speed vibration , like I'm on milled pavement , turning left or right. (think its the tires but not 100% sure .
5. Rear brake SUCKS , plenty of meat on the pads but have to stand on the pedal , just to feel a bit of slow down .
6. Today while riding I was hearing a clear as a bell , whoop whoop whoop sound , seemed to be a rotational sound and sped up and slowed down in unison with the bikes speed .
I checked the belt and even 100 miles worth of heat build up the belt still had some deflection (not too tight) , and the belt looked fine .
7. When hitting small bumps in the roadway , I am getting a tinny clank coming from underneath , seems suspension related but cant really check it out as I'm on a road trip with the bike ...
There's a couple more bothersome issues but I'm getting tired now ... I'm so aggravated right now over these issues , some may be minor and some not so much , might be time to trade this thing in .:mad: P.S. I grinded my new tip into the pavement today too , real good , and didn't even care ... Whatever .:soapbox:
#3. Rylan Voss from the Vic shop on you tube explains that clank. While the clutch is pulled in and you give the bike a little throttle the dogs in the transmission will take up their slack and cause that clank. Rylan says really nothing to worry about. My bike 2013 crossroads classic does the same thing I just changed my riding style and it solved the problem.
#5. The problem may be the brake pad material itself. Organic, semi metallic, sintered, etc there are a few different style of brake material for you to choose from. I just got done replacing my pads and I tried to save a couple of bucks by purchasing a semi metallic pad from drag specialities and was disappointed. They had a very soft grab. I upgraded, so to speak, to ebc sintered brake material and was very happy. They grab just right now. I am a rider who likes to use the back brake a bit more, maybe from my dirt bike days, I always use both front and back to stop I just use about 50/50 front and back When stopping. Next maybe try bleeding your brakes. If you get an air bubble, brake fluid is old or too low it could cause a soft brake symptom. Finally, clean your brake calipers, again you tube will walk you through the process. I actually clean my calipers quite often, about every 6,000 miles, might seem excessive but my brakes work great. All individual calipers are free (not stuck) to apply even force to the pads for proper braking.
#7 I had the same “bump noise” coming from underneath and it drove me crazy until I found it. Mine came from the small hex head bolt, I think it is a 10mm, that is located on the metal chin fairing on either side of oil cooler. There are two bolts that secure that piece metal and also that small hex, well that hex came loose, I tightened it problem solved.
#6. That whooping noise could be a wheel bearing. Witchdoctor’s victory on you tube will show you how to replace, however you will need specific tools, and it was kinda a pain. How many miles is on the bike and riding conditions will be a factor if it has gone bad, especially wet conditions. again you tube, yes I watch you a lot, will give you an audible example of the bad bearing noise.
#4 slow speed vibrations may be tires. There are many brands on the market, you get what you pay for. I run michellin (sp?) commander 4 and am very happy with them. Great feel, grip and no vibration. I have heard negative stories about certain less expensive brands and I try to save money where I can but tires is not one of them.
#2 I to have to have great music while grabbing a hand full of throttle. Had iPod for the longest time, did not want to make the jump to Bluetooth, when I finally did never looked back. It was so worth the cost. My bike is truly my happy place could not imagine life without her. But when something with her is not perfect I am sad. Have patience and with each issue work through the problem eliminating each factor to reach an acceptable outcome. Hope this might help. Ride safe

·
Registered
563 Posts

Reactions: IndyVictory and NAB

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
just starting using up to date technology, not great at it yet. Apparently this was from 2015 did not find out till after the post. Sorry
People do it all the time, not really a big deal. The Cross Country scooters aren't really made to ride on rough dirt roads and handle poorly in sand. I bought my 2011 new and it has some raddles and scratches and so on. But I have did some rough dirt rod riding. When you do it shakes things around and causes things to squeak and raddle. Just like in cars, trucks, 4 wheelers. plus it does have some vibration also, specially at high RPM's in lower gears.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts