Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding on South beach in Miami got into heavy traffic. Pulled over when I got out of it and shut the bike off for about 10 minutes. Went ti take off and it would start spit and sputter and die. Waited about 25 min and it started and is running fine now. Has anyone had this happen with the 106 motor ? I also had to back the timing wheel off to 1 degree advance when I got down to florida. It was pinging bad.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Any other mods beside the timing wheel? Do you have a tuner? Might want to include all mods in your signature, it'll help us figure out how to help you if we know your setup.

You're pinging because you were too lean in my guess. Your bike shouldn't have a problem running it at +4 even without a tuner though. I've not heard of anybody with those symptoms before but does sound timing related. I'd doubt you were overheating, these bikes can really take the heat.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has stage 1 download pipes and air filter. The bike had the problems after I took the timing down to 1 degree advance. I was in stop and go traffic for about 45 min. Not moving more then 10 mph the whole time. After I turned the timing back it quit pining.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
90 degrees is nothing, it'll handle 100+ all day long. Many of us ride in warmer climates and sit in stop and go traffic at over 100 including myself. I truly don't think you were overheating. However, outside air temp will affect the degree you ping at. For example you may be able to run +6 on the wheel all day at 65 degrees but ping like crazy when it's 90 degrees. I ran into that with my timing wheel, it's due to a lean condition and would require a fuel tuner to richen the AFR up to prevent the pinging. Your answer may be in a PCIII or PCV tuner... I'm sure others will chime in and you'll get several suggestions and things to check...once they wake up

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to take it to the Vic shop for cams but not till september. I think it got hot. The wheel is set at 1 advance now. Who knows. It ran fine after I let it sit for 25 minutes. What else could it of been.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am going to take it to the Vic shop for cams but not till september. I think it got hot. The wheel is set at 1 advance now. Who knows. It ran fine after I let it sit for 25 minutes. What else could it of been.

It may have got hot but not from the outside temp per say...from being too lean, hence your pinging. When you run advanced to the point of pinging real bad, the motor will run much hotter. That's why most folks on here prefer to run richer over lean. If you had a fuel tuner installed and set your AFR to a richer mixture, my guess is you wouldn't have pinged and wouldn't have got hot and wouldn't have had an issue. I believe a tuner is your answer.

You may be able to run a certain degree of advance in one area but not another, humidity, temperature, elevation, all that plays a part in your engines performance.

You'll have a very difficult time locating somebody who had engine trouble from stop n go in 90 degree temps...I've never heard of it...from a Victory. There is something else going on aside from the outside temp, like I mentioned, I believe that to be your advanced timing and a lean condition. If you have no further issues at +1 on the wheel, that lends support to the theory.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Sounds to me like you and a vapor lock, when the bike gets that hot and you turn it off the heat from the engine will turn the fuel in the lines into vapor, therefore there is no gas in the lines just vapor. Once it cooled down or you continue to try and start it the fuel pump will push fuel back threw the lines and all is good again.

I had this happen to mine down in Miami while doing a Ride like a Pro course in 2012 in late May.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds to me like you and a vapor lock, when the bike gets that hot and you turn it off the heat from the engine will turn the fuel in the lines into vapor, therefore there is no gas in the lines just vapor. Once it cooled down or you continue to try and start it the fuel pump will push fuel back threw the lines and all is good again.

I had this happen to mine down in Miami while doing a Ride like a Pro course in 2012 in late May.

That makes sense. Man I love my bike. Hopefully this is not ongoing problem. After turning the wheel back I can tell the difference in power. I really dont care about that as long as it will run.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Any other mods beside the timing wheel? Do you have a tuner? Might want to include all mods in your signature, it'll help us figure out how to help you if we know your setup.

You're pinging because you were too lean in my guess. Your bike shouldn't have a problem running it at +4 even without a tuner though. I've not heard of anybody with those symptoms before but does sound timing related. I'd doubt you were overheating, these bikes can really take the heat.
Mine pings with the wheel set to +2 or higher.... not bad, and I can mitigate it by downshifting, but that's not ideal. So I keep mine at +1 also. Saying no one is having issues at +4 is means you aren't reading the forums. Generally speaking anyone running a stage 1 map of any kind on their ECU is already running timing advance, so you can't add as much with the timing wheel. Also, if you run so much advance that you have to dump too much fuel in, you are negating the benefits of efficient combustion and max torque. There is a balance.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the way down to Florida the bike got around 44.5 mpg. That is running 80 mph with cruise set. That seems to me to be pretty lean. Love the Mpg but not at the expense of motor damage. Not as much low end torque at plus 1 but that does not matter. I am not racing lol. I am riding with a buddy who has a 103 ultra lmtd. I can still leave him in the dust. He is amazed with the power difference in the 2 bikes.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Mine pings with the wheel set to +2 or higher.... not bad, and I can mitigate it by downshifting, but that's not ideal. So I keep mine at +1 also. Saying no one is having issues at +4 is means you aren't reading the forums. Generally speaking anyone running a stage 1 map of any kind on their ECU is already running timing advance, so you can't add as much with the timing wheel. Also, if you run so much advance that you have to dump too much fuel in, you are negating the benefits of efficient combustion and max torque. There is a balance.
Where do you get off being rude? Where did I say on this thread or ANY thread that no one is having issues at +4?? Buddy, you aint been reading the forums. No seriously, you haven't because you don't know just how ridiculous your statement really is. Here, I'll show ya.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=822697#post822697

...you see, I of all people would never say that no one is having issues at +4...you need to be reading these threads

When you run advance you need to add more fuel, doesn't appear like you know what you're talking about...with all due respect.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Where do you get off being rude? Where did I say on this thread or ANY thread that no one is having issues at +4?? Buddy, you aint been reading the forums. No seriously, you haven't because you don't know just how ridiculous your statement really is. Here, I'll show ya.

http://www.victoryforums.com/showthread.php?p=822697#post822697

...you see, I of all people would never say that no one is having issues at +4...you need to be reading these threads

When you run advance you need to add more fuel, doesn't appear like you know what you're talking about...with all due respect.
Too funny. First of all, I wasn't being rude, I was correcting your over generalization that if you get ping at +4, something else must be wrong. This is simply NOT accurate! As for my qualifications, feel free to ask Vicbuilder or KX. I know a thing or two about timing and fueling. If you are running so much advance that you have to throw 12:1 afr at it, you have too much advance! PERIOD!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Too funny. First of all, I wasn't being rude, I was correcting your over generalization that if you get ping at +4, something else must be wrong. This is simply NOT accurate! As for my qualifications, feel free to ask Vicbuilder or KX. I know a thing or two about timing and fueling. If you are running so much advance that you have to throw 12:1 afr at it, you have too much advance! PERIOD!
:ltr: You have a nice day sir

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
My Vegas runs 240-250* in 115* stop and go.

My Ultra pegs 300+* in the same conditions and both are fine.

·
13,031 Posts
You say you were getting 44mpg when you were running around MPH.
Is that what the bike said or was that by doing the math?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I made a run to Florida myself about a month ago. Most of the trip I spent between 70 and 80 MPH on the superslab. My mileage varied from a low of 40 MPG near home to about 45 MPG when I was in Georgia. My only engine mod on my VISION is a timing wheel set at +3 degrees. On the way home I caught a tail wind the last day and actually got a measured 47 MPG on the last tankful. That time I was at over 220 miles when I filled my tank and still had no low fuel light. My display seems to always be about 4 MPG optomistic but these are calculated numbers using actual miles traveled and actual fuel added at each fill up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts