Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
either a tomtom rider 400 or the garmin.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Not sure what you are looking for. Do you want suggestions? Are you looking to buy? Sell? Instructions?

Reactions: visionjohnny

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
suggestions. i want to buy one

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have the TomTom 400 and have really enjoyed it. I had it down to it or one of the Garmin units but in the end I thought the TomTom had just what I wanted at a better price.

What also sold me in the TomTom it's the simple one cord power connection. The Garmin has several as they include antennas for traffic. The TomTom connects to your phone and pulls traffic info from it so no other wires were needed coming out of the unit. This made the install a breeze as I added a SAE connection to the power lead and plug it into my charger pigtail. This way I can simply move it from bike to bike with no fuss. Being on a Vision helped as it has plenty of body work to hide the cord.

I also like the smaller mounting bracket that is left when the unit is not sitting in it.

Other than that I love that I can find my destination on my phone and then send it to the unit. It's a snap and much better than typing it on the unit. It gets me where I need and has given me good service so far.

It doesn't track all the things the Garmin will but I just didn't see the value in it at it's price point. It does have two trip counters and a life time counter which is all I wanted.

·
Registered
483 Posts
One thing I found out after I got the TomTom was it does not show text or call. It turns out that only the European model does. Why? I don't know. It didn't deter me but I was under they impression it would show calls and text but what I was reading was not about the US models.

I'm hoping on one of the updates they add that feature.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i can stop and make a call with my trac phone. so i dont need a text or call function on a gps/sat nav device. how much stuff does one need to track on the device.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the tomtom 400 looks like it comes with everything one would need to get started. without having to buy seperate stuff.

·
Registered
483 Posts
i can stop and make a call with my trac phone. so i dont need a text or call function on a gps/sat nav device. how much stuff does one need to track on the device.
I'm with you. I just wanted to be able to see who was calling or texting to see if they were important enough to talk to as I don't always have my phone in it's holder. When it's there it's no issue at all. So overall it's not a big thing. I mainly wanted to make sure you knew what I didn't when I ordered mine.

I'm with you. I didn't need a ton of stats. I just wanted something that could get me from A to B, could be seen in the sun, waterproof, and easy to move from bike to bike. The 400 has gave me that. I also like the two screen positions.

Reactions: wspollack

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
VVB you're making me feel as though I'm a Neanderthal. My phone is off when I'm riding and I use a paper map. How quaint, eh? But I always get to where I'm going and never miss a call after I turn on the phone. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my phone stays off for days on end to. i might look at it every few days. there will be back up maps on hand for me as well. i went ahead and ordered the tom tom rider 400. if i dont like it i will send it back.

·
Registered
12,330 Posts
One of my favorite things is to be at an intersection or fork, standing beside the bike looking at a paper map. Or having lunch and reading a map to decide on the afternoon route. I'm weird.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
been there done that to. it called going old school.

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Registered
12,330 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
TPMS Anyone?

First off, no experience with the TomTom or a modern Garmin. I use an iPhone and and a good cradle, except when it rains, and haven't purchased a Garmin since the Nuvi 200 days.

But back to this discussion. I don't know how important it is to the OP, but I thought I'd throw in that the latest Garmins also interface with Garmin TPMS sensors ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744 ). So, IF that's a desirable feature, and IF you plan on keeping the GPS mounted pretty much all of the time, it's another factor to throw in the mix.

(I installed a Doran 360M TPMS module and sensors on my now-sold XCT. That unit proved, after a couple of years, troublesome, and costly to replace sensors. On the Burgman 650 that I bought in 2016, I added FOBO sensors, which interface with a smartphone and have user-replaceable batteries. So I'm a fan of TPMS, if for no other reason than I don't have to get on the ground to check air pressure, especially a PITA for rear wheels on baggers. But that's me.)

Reactions: CanuckRob

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
I have the tomtom400 and like it. The TT and my Sena 10 are the perfect traveling match or for not getting lost in a big city.

·
Registered
483 Posts
First off, no experience with the TomTom or a modern Garmin. I use an iPhone and and a good cradle, except when it rains, and haven't purchased a Garmin since the Nuvi 200 days.

But back to this discussion. I don't know how important it is to the OP, but I thought I'd throw in that the latest Garmins also interface with Garmin TPMS sensors ( https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/131744 ). So, IF that's a desirable feature, and IF you plan on keeping the GPS mounted pretty much all of the time, it's another factor to throw in the mix.

(I installed a Doran 360M TPMS module and sensors on my now-sold XCT. That unit proved, after a couple of years, troublesome, and costly to replace sensors. On the Burgman 650 that I bought in 2016, I added FOBO sensors, which interface with a smartphone and have user-replaceable batteries. So I'm a fan of TPMS, if for no other reason than I don't have to get on the ground to check air pressure, especially a PITA for rear wheels on baggers. But that's me.)
You are correct. I forget about that because it wasn't a factor for me since I already had a Fobo system. I now have a Fobo system on each bike.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i carry a digital tp guage and a small slime brand compressor at all times. with plugs even though i have ride on in the tires.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I went the Garmin route. But not the high dollar bike unit. I wanted one I can make my own route on the PC and import. And the units available to do that are getting more limited.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if i am not misstaken the tomtom has a micro card slot so other maps can be put on them and added if needed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts