Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to take off the heat shields on their XCT and wrap the exhaust then replace the Shields? These pipes are getting hotter by the minute. Can't stand it anymore. What is the solution??? Any ideas out there
Thanks in advance
bcflyguy

·
Registered
372 Posts
Have you tried opening the lowers up only an 1" or so? I don't know myself but I've heard others say about them that less is more when it comes to keeping cool. I'm kind of looking forward to expermenting with that a little more the next time I get to do some demo rides. It's also controversial about removing the cats from the exhaust to move the heat out of the exhaust quicker. I removed my right side cat and bent the diverter plate in the cross-over pipe forward and over so that it blocks a lot of the cross pipe and most of the exhaust comes out the right side in more of a 2 into 1 fashion. I think it helped mine run cooler and if I lost any torque I can't feel it so i would have had to dyno before and after to know. I will say the motor revs more freely and responsive now than before. I have the S1 mufflers so they are wide open if you look through them. I don't think I would do that with stock mufflers.

·
Registered
784 Posts
+1 on closing down the vents. An inch to start then make very small adjustments till good.
These bikes have a reputation for being very lean. It might be a possiblity you are too lean. A dealer check may be in order. Hope you have a good dealer, they seem to be hard to come by.

Cheers

·
13,262 Posts
Yes guys have wrapped the pipes and a little better feeling.
Your Major heat comes from the motor. Your sitting on a oven in a manner of speaking.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on closing down the vents. An inch to start then make very small adjustments till good.
These bikes have a reputation for being very lean. It might be a possiblity you are too lean. A dealer check may be in order. Hope you have a good dealer, they seem to be hard to come by.

Cheers
I Have Arlin Ness big honkers and fuel controller as well as a lloydz air box. Could this be the reason????
It was a lot cooler stock. I THINK!!!!!

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Major heat comes from the motor. Your sitting on a oven in a manner of speaking.
Yes ,Vision johnny, I am sitting on an oven but I don't want to burn my cookies LOL :ltr:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I Have Arlin Ness big honkers and fuel controller as well as a lloydz air box. Could this be the reason????
More air and a properly adjusted fuel controller should make the bike run cooler, not hotter. Could it be that with summer temps in play you are just feeling the engine heat more than before?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More air and a properly adjusted fuel controller should make the bike run cooler, not hotter. Could it be that with summer temps in play you are just feeling the engine heat more than before?
That could very well be. Also age does not help. Would it help if I took off the lower leg fairings completely??

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I ran the Victory lowers for a while and found them to be too hot during the summer to leave on. I picked up some JTD lowers and found they could be left on during the summer so I sold the Vic lowers and stuck with the JTD lowers and the forged crash bars.

Last Summer I started making some leather heat shields for this reason. They have sheet metal sandwiched between layers of leather so they can be molded up to a point. They are in my sig line and I do ship to Canada for whatever extra it happens to cost. Takes a while to get there though. Just depends on how customs is doing I guess. Could be 2 weeks could be longer. I just sent out my last ready made one so I need to get busy and make some more now that the heat is settling in again.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran the Victory lowers for a while and found them to be too hot during the summer to leave on. I picked up some JTD lowers and found they could be left on during the summer so I sold the Vic lowers and stuck with the JTD lowers and the forged crash bars.

Last Summer I started making some leather heat shields for this reason. They have sheet metal sandwiched between layers of leather so they can be molded up to a point. They are in my sig line and I do ship to Canada for whatever extra it happens to cost. Takes a while to get there though. Just depends on how customs is doing I guess. Could be 2 weeks could be longer. I just sent out my last ready made one so I need to get busy and make some more now that the heat is settling in again.
Hi bbob
I should have picked up a set when I was down in Az last winter. Can you please contact me at [email protected]
I need to order a set of these. I want black, tooled with some engraving
Thanks// Neil aka bcflyguy

·
Registered
784 Posts
It could, but if it isn't presenting problems, doubtfull. This set up, if proper should actually cool your engine dowm. Of coures that is a relavent term it is still fgoing to be hot.

That could very well be. Also age does not help. Would it help if I took off the lower leg fairings completely??
You aren't listening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would highly advise against taking off the lowers totaly. You can always put them back on but you have to figure out what to do with the power port and Ipod connection. This will also burn you up. Proper full coverage riding pants will help a lot too. Not mesh, jeans, kevlar jeans or any of the "cool" stuff.
When riding in hot climates. 100F and up all vents and wind wings are CLOSED. this is the only way to keep temps regulated in the body. In the southern US there are more than a fair share of these days too. We also know a little about humidity, so don't try to play that card. :ltr:
You are in BC, for heavens sake. How hot is it there? I freeze in the mountains when I venture there. LOL

Cheers

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Rode my Vision at 110 yesterday. Hot but not so bad Hydrate and remember stay thirsty my friends.

Glad I got the Vision instead of the XC. Heard Visions were hot so I expected it. Would have been bummed to be hot on an XCcheers

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It could, but if it isn't presenting problems, doubtfull. This set up, if proper should actually cool your engine dowm. Of coures that is a relavent term it is still fgoing to be hot.

You aren't listening,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I would highly advise against taking off the lowers totaly. You can always put them back on but you have to figure out what to do with the power port and Ipod connection. This will also burn you up. Proper full coverage riding pants will help a lot too. Not mesh, jeans, kevlar jeans or any of the "cool" stuff.
When riding in hot climates. 100F and up all vents and wind wings are CLOSED. this is the only way to keep temps regulated in the body. In the southern US there are more than a fair share of these days too. We also know a little about humidity, so don't try to play that card. :ltr:
You are in BC, for heavens sake. How hot is it there? I freeze in the mountains when I venture there. LOL

Cheers
Well lostinTexas, Let me tell you.
When I ride in Arizona in the winter it is rarely above 75. That is the ideal temp for me.
I happen to live in the interior of BC, which has an elevation of 1100 feet. We are in the winegrape area with no ocean breezes. When I leave for an all day ride at 9 am , the temp is 60 . By 4 pm in the summer time it usually is over 100. As you can see we have 2 seasons in one in the summer hence the need to hydrate and stay cool if you really want to long distance ride.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yowzer. never thought it would get that hot there. Well, unless we decide to visit. :ltr: We have friends in Mn, and it seems every visit is during an abnormal for them heat wave, and we seem to take it with us when leaving.
You will understand this, as well as those that ride farther than the bar or resteraunt. I wear the same gear riding the gulf coast, around home or touring. I have left home with a Stich and wickers under garments in 100+ heat. That same stich and wickers when dry is actually warm when going over mountain passes later that same day 3 states away in near freezing temps. I carry a light sweat suit just in case and have never put it on after May. My set up is only a slight variation aof layers through the year. I don't own electrics, but don't ride much when temps are in the low 30's (freezing). I don't have to deal with thet all that much though.
Good gear used right is the ticket. Using the venting to your advantage is part of that. It worked on my Venture, Wing and now on the XCT.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Do a search i think the heading was "let the cat out the bag er pipe" something like that anyway. I yanked my cats and noticed really no difference in power but my mileage seems a little better.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
848 Posts
Has anyone tried to take off the heat shields on their XCT and wrap the exhaust then replace the Shields? These pipes are getting hotter by the minute. Can't stand it anymore. What is the solution??? Any ideas out there
Thanks in advance
bcflyguy
Feel you pain my friend. Here is what I did.

1. Removed the Cats one in the right pipe is under the passenger peg and the other is under the engine ( left side) next to the oil filter. Cats starts working around 400 degrees F and can get as hot as 2000+ degrees F. More fuel running thru them the hot they get. (Look it up). To remove this is a distructive process, drill out the cats and remove with pliers, some have also drilled the pinch points and been able to remove the whole cat from within the head pipe.

2. I used header wrap on the cross pipe and under the heat shields, make sure to soak the wrap real good and stretch it tight when you wrap the pipes. The heat shield will go back on.

3. if you have not done so Unplug the O2 sensors. The bike will not run in an open loop mode and be a bit more rich.

4. I have a Lloyds Air filter and a Cobra Power Pro installed, I notice no loss of power and gain a bit of throttle response.

5. Sound.. a tad (scientific measurement) louder under WOT bu toverall the same.

The Majority of the heat on the bike comes frome the Emmission controls (Cats), as may have found the bike runs very well without these control installed.

I have 3000 miles on my bike without Cats, been riding in heat to 90+ degrees F with the lower on and vents open. Fact I do not open the lower vents until the temps hit 80+ Degrees F.cheers

·
Registered
848 Posts
Majority of the heat comes from the Catalytic converters. Cats start working at 400 degrees F and will get as hot as 2000+ degrees F. You engine will never get that hot.

Just google Catalytic Converters....

·
Registered
848 Posts
A little understanding on Catalytic converters, they are a catalyst that reacts with the intended elements this reaction is in the form of heat. More offending elements = more heat.

i the case of a rich system, the systems produce more offending elements, yes this produces more heat, the more excess you put in the system the hotter the heats gets. There are reports of glowing red exhaust pipes, to get to that point the heat has got to be close to 1500 degrees F. right under your seat!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts